Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

What is the best street tire for track and what size?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007 | 01:52 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Nihilation
Fair enough, I'm the ******* here. =)

Might I ask what specific testing you did with the two tires?
No worries, I just had to respond to that post about not posting the article.

Not sure what you mean by 'two tires', but Nissan Sport G35 editor Ed Reeser (another frequent contributor to these boards) ran the NT01 on his TT G35C in several West Coast track events, while I sampled the same model on my track model 350Z on two different Colorado tracks. Rather than a single test run over a short period, this article sums up our our impressions over several events/months and multiple heat cycles. Technical info on Nitto's R-compound tire is also featured and includes recommended cold and hot inflation pressures and pyrometer range for the NT01.
Old 04-13-2007 | 04:18 PM
Eagle1

I would jump in and say that the NT-01 is what I have on a set of 18" Enkei NT03+M wheels right now, as well as a set of Yokohama Advan Sports. I ran new sets of both of them at Buttonwillow Raceway Park last weekend to scrub them up before the Redline Time Attack at the end of this month. The Speedventures lads had the track and on one of the days were running the CW #13 configuration, the same as for the time attack. So it was a good way to get a little refresher and check the handling etc as well.

The Yoko is a true street tire. A pretty admirable performer, but pushing it to the limit where it was howling like a stuck pig all the way through the turns, including Riverside and the Sweeper, as well as Sunset and Sunrise......it was still SEVEN seconds a lap slower than the Nittos. Maybe I should be braver with them notwithstanding the protest they give....but even so I doubt I could get more than another second out of them. And I know the Nittos can give me at least two or three seconds because I only ran one session on them and had lots of traffic to deal with...and still got that time spread.

The Nitto is a dry weather tire. IF you are going to run track in the wet, use the RA-1 from their sister company Toyo.

Can you run the Nitto on the street. Sure. But as one of our comrades above noted....it won't last long under those conditions. And you don't want to be on city streets in a rainstorm with them either.

I have not played around with street tires much on the track. Michelin Pilot Sports, but they got very greasy after just five or six laps at Buttonwillow, were tried. I certainly liked the Yokos over them, as they gripped pretty steady and after taking them off, could see melted rubber edges on each longitudinal sipe from side to side on the tire...so it was working hard full width of the treads.

Read the article in the Mag when it comes out. It is worth it. I buy the Nittos with my money btw; I am beholden to nobody for a positive review. I put a couple of stickers on my car because I liked the product, not because anybody paid me to do it. I got the Enkei wheels for the same reason, and I put the Nissan Sport decal on because I support my friends in a brave effort to save for our enthusiast community an important magazine and source of information, not to mention a few jobs.

Click on the picture of my car at the website for a couple of laps on the Nittos, which hang right with and even gain on the Lotus and Spec Racer cars in the twisties, even though the G35 outweighs them by a lot (a full ton more than the Spec Racer!) and then just blows by in the straights.
http://www.nissansportmag.com/
Old 04-13-2007 | 04:43 PM
Eagle1

Here are pictures of a front and rear Yoko Advan Sport, after running two sessions of 8 or 9 laps each. You can see some understeer scrub on the outside edge of the front tire, and the leading edge melt on the sipes.

Last edited by Eagle1; 04-13-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2007 | 05:54 PM
Nihilation

Any experience with the Yokohama Advan AD07's? Supposed to be the newest badass out of the more usable street tires...

Old 04-13-2007 | 06:50 PM
Eagle1

Have not driven the AD07 yet. It definitely has some good looking wide tread blocks.
I needed a 315 in the rear and the Sport came in that size, but the Neova AD07 did not.

Last edited by Eagle1; 04-13-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-13-2007 | 07:49 PM
skidmarq

Originally Posted by dkmura
Thanks to skidmarq and davesZ#3 for watching my back on this one.
You betcha, Mr. Mura. And thank YOU for watching the Nissan enthusiast community's back by the valuable research you guys do...