Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

The Big LSD FAQ thread (About various Limited Slip Differentials)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 04:43 PM
CursedZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Big LSD FAQ thread (About various Limited Slip Differentials)

Sport Z Magazine reported that the NISMO LSD greatly contributed to helping the 350Z have less understeer (more so than the S-Tune suspension according to the article). Is the LSD available yet and is anyone running it? Success or failure to report? - Thanks.

Last edited by mhoward1; 10-09-2009 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:03 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the Nismo LSD has been available for quite sometime. As for people who have it that actually uses it like it's supposed to be used, contact BJ (dwnshift) or Matt G. BJ @ 350Evo carries them in stock... mine will be installed in 3 weeks, so I'm quite anxious to see how much more torque it'll transfer to the outside wheel.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:45 AM
matt g.

If you track the car or auto-x this is a must have item. this is by far the best mod i have done to my car. now i just need a diff cooler to keep from cooking it.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Nismo LSD on my coupe, and have tracked the car at Laguna Seca and Buttonwillow race courses with it, and of course around town in SoCal.

The mod is fantastic if you want hard performance acceleration in turns. The VDC has to be off, or the two units will be fighting with each other in tough corners.

At the middle or recommended setting it is reasonably civil for street use. The only problem is slow speed acceleration in turns, such as parking lots. Otherwise, it is well behaved.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:59 AM
CursedZ

Thanks for the information on the LSD. Very helpful in my decision. Appreciate it.
Touring/6sp/LeMans/#0047
Old 03-13-2004, 05:28 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Also available from us.. http://www.performancenissanparts.co...products_id=59 I've been running one for about 3/4 months now. Can't imagine being without one. They do make a bit of noise if you have them on too high a setting, and Jason did a sound clip to show that. It's on page 2 about 2 post's down.. https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....0&pagenumber=2 . This is what it sounds like making a U-turn with the unit turned up to 80%. It is very easy to adjust lower... I just like the feel. We can also build you an exchange unit (with core charge) ready to go. That way all you do is swap rear ends!!!
Old 03-13-2004, 07:15 AM
uro279

What happens when making turns in parking lots? do you really need a diff cooler?

What is meant by needing to keep VDC/TC off so that the two systems aren't fighting with each other? Does this mean that the stock LSD is kept?

Regarding exchange unit, are you removing the stock lsd? If so, then why turn VDC/TC off? Is it the VDC/TC that's really fighting with it?

Lastly, being that the Nismo LSD is a clutch type LSD (which I understand engages on torque, not spin) then when making any turn, if LSD is already engaged, how does this help you on the track if you NEED the rear wheels to spin at different rates to make a smooth turn (ie inner wheel must spin slower than outer).

I understand how it's using in dragging, but I'm confused on the track.

Please explain.

Thanks.

ps And yes, I did see the other thread that explained how it worked, but still confused.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:17 AM
uro279

Also, I understand the Nismo LSD to be 1.5 adjustable. What does this mean? How does this compare to 2way adjustable and what does that mean? What are the benefits of each?

Is the Nismo made by Cusco who sells both 1.5 and 2?

Thanks again.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:24 PM
John

Lastly, being that the Nismo LSD is a clutch type LSD (which I understand engages on torque, not spin) then when making any turn, if LSD is already engaged, how does this help you on the track if you NEED the rear wheels to spin at different rates to make a smooth turn (ie inner wheel must spin slower than outer).
On the track, you need the power to go to the outside drive wheel, as that's the wheel with the most grip. So the more torque you can transfer, the better.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:56 PM
digerydingo

What happens when making turns in parking lots? do you really need a diff cooler?
When you have an adjustable locking diff you have the ability to change the amount of initial lock the LSD will have. On medium setting it means when pulling a tight, tight turn the inside wheel will hop or clunck some because the LSD is forcing it to rotate closer to the same rate as the outside wheel which is traveling around a wider arc. Here's some mandatory reading.

As for a diff cooler. It would be a really great idea if you plan on tracking your car with any kind of LSD, and especially if the LSD is clutch type as overheating can cause the clutch material to wear prematurely.

What is meant by needing to keep VDC/TC off so that the two systems aren't fighting with each other? Does this mean that the stock LSD is kept?
Regarding exchange unit, are you removing the stock lsd? If so, then why turn VDC/TC off? Is it the VDC/TC that's really fighting with it?
This NISMO LSD replaces the stock LSD. VDC/TCS are electronic stability programs, not mechanical parts. VDC/TCS uses many sensors around the car to perform it's functions. One of these sensors measures idividual wheel speeds. Because the system is optimized for the car, as it is from the factory, when your replace the LSD the rear wheel speeds will be different the stock (out of parameter for the TCS program) and as a result will trigger the program preamaturely because it thinks the car has already lost traction. As a result around many corners the VDC will be turning on and off even though the wheels are not slipping. This makes for a crappy ride and negates many positive effects of replacing the LSD
Old 04-08-2004, 02:57 PM
digerydingo

Also, I understand the Nismo LSD to be 1.5 adjustable. What does this mean? How does this compare to 2way adjustable and what does that mean? What are the benefits of each?
Most people get coffused because they think that 1.5 and adjustable refer to the same thing. LSD's work on torque transfer. Basicaly if you have a 50% torque transfer in an LSD it means when one wheel spins faster (whether it's slipping or not) then 50% of that torque gets fed back into the slower wheel. If you had 100% torque transfer that would be a locked differential which would never let one wheel spin faster then another. Basicaly an LSD is a compromise to let a car turn while maximizing torque distribution to your drive wheels. Adjustable basicaly refers to the fact that this left to right torque transfer percentage can be adjusted through a certain range. The most aggressive setting on the NISMO LSD is 80% which is nearly a locked differential and that's the reason you can see and hear Jeff/Jason's (sorry can't remember which one) inside wheel chirping in the video link because it's trying to travel 80% of the outside wheels distance in less then 50% of the space. That's why you see it roll then lock and chirp till the outside wheel goes around that left over 20% distance and then it's alowed to roll again, over and over again.

The number 1, 1.5 and 2way refers to what the differential is doing during acceleration and decceleration. Basically a 1 way differential will only work (transfer torque) while accelerating. So when braking or slowing down the LSD opperates like an open diff until you step on the gas. 1.5 means that you get full LSD on accell and only half on decell. And 2way means you get full LSD on accell and decell. So a front wheel drive car with 2 way LSD would be very, very difficult to turn in. In fact most FWD LSD's are 1way so that you get the LSD benefit while exiting the corner and no penalty when entering. 1.5 and 2 would be ideal for RWD cars as it helps stabalize the light rear end under braking and turn in, less chance of oversteer going in. You would use 1.5 for tight twisty tracks where you need to still have better turn in and 2way would be good for long sweeping tracks where lift throttle over steer could bite you in the butt and ideal for drag racers.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:45 PM
daveh

Default nismo LSD settings

For all the nismo LSD owners.. What settings are you all using?

First off, I just want to comment how suprised I was to find how strong the effect is on the medium setting. The traction is unbelievable expecially when powering out of the apex. It really hooks up! It's not another conservative Nismo part. Very cool.

The only thing that I didn't like on the med setting was the push/pull effect I was getting when I was transitioning on and off the throttle. The car tended to really tuck in when you get off the gas. I felt it was a little hard to keep the car on line in the narrow moutain roads we have up here. Anyone else experience this?

So I switched it to the low setting (which was a pain in the a$$ with the borla dual exhaust), the push/pull effect is better. There is no inside wheel spin (on the street or track), but it doesn't quite give that strong mid corner traction feel like it did on the medium setting. I've only owned torsen lsd's in the past and am not sure what the 'proper tune' is on a clutch type lsd (in terms of road racing).

Can anyone comment as to what is recommended for track use. (dwnshift or perf nissan if you're reading this?) I'm sure much of this is related to driving style and personal preference, but any general info would be helpful.

btw my unit is fairly quiet so far. It only gives a small clunk when coming out of my driveway in the morning when it's cold, then it's very well behaved.

Last edited by daveh; 09-14-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:43 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think you've answered your own question. for street or small tracks with lots of sharp turns, the lower setting is best. for tracks with long straights/sweepers, a higher setting would work better.

you nismo lsd guys are fortunate to be able to adjust the lsd fairly easily. i have my kaaz lsd at 60% and cant change it unless i get it disassembled
but its a compromise b/w street and track use and i'll put up w/ a little more harshness on the street for the added track benefit.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:38 AM
Lateapex

Default Re: nismo LSD settings

Mine has been set to 'low' from day one, and the effects you describe bother me, too. Apparently, the units come assembled in the '1.5 way' mode, so they free-wheel during no-throttle periods, which causes the push/pull. (This situation is a little ironic for me, because I'm known to be derisive of front-drive cars, with their throttle-reactive steering.) Also, front-to-rear tire size differential probably exaggerates the effect.

Although I agree fundamentally with Apex Locator's perspective on which circumstances favor which setting, I've been toying with the idea of setting mine stiffer for autocross to enhance throttle-steer. If nothing else, it should be an interesting experiment.

Noise-wise, mine is the same as yours.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:20 PM
daveh

Does anyone know what percentage the 3 setting represent. My directions only list torque settings of 50.6, 68.7, and 101 ft/lbs. I've seen some inconsistant posts about the percentages so I never knew what they are for sure.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:58 AM
John

I've been told the three lockup settings are 60% / 80% / 100%.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:24 PM
03Z33

The Nismo actually doesn't go full 100%, it's more like 90% at the stiffest setting.
Once you get used to driving on it some more, you should try the the stiffer position, it allows for a lot more throttle steering! Just remember not to let off (especially in the rain )

For those using there cars more in autocross/gymkahna or drift the 2-way setting will also improve consistency and be easier to modulate once you are used to it.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:22 AM
thrifiddytt

low setting for me. When I ran 275/35 and 245/35s, serious understeer but corrected with hotchkis. on the street I use 245/45/17s all around but get serious cupping sounds from the rear when cold. For drift/drag, high setting is awesome but chirping my tires every turn I make. If you're not running big tires on the rear, swap plates for lower combo or at least run lower psi.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:14 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the middle setting and like it a lot. The grab coming out of track turns is very good. On the street it is not a real noise problem except on flat, slow, tight turns. In those instances, like a smooth parking lot, you can just give a little clutch depress and coast around and it has no shudder or noise, so you can civilize it if you want. You can also add some diff lubeadditive to quiet it down.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:28 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

i ahve alot of shudder/chatter at low speeds mine is set to 2-way, was thinking maybe if i change the fluid itll help

Quick Reply: The Big LSD FAQ thread (About various Limited Slip Differentials)