Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

The Big LSD FAQ thread (About various Limited Slip Differentials)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:03 PM
vaughn1576

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of these aftermarket LSD's make alot of noise and can be aggressive for street action (ie. Nismo). Do a search. There's some good threads with info on some the others.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:40 PM
daveh

Here is a good article that shows some of the disadvantages, along with remedies.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...t_2/index.html

Also check out my thread on rebuilding a clutch type lsd and getting the plates treated for smooth operation.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:45 PM
ZSpectrum

Thank you very much for the link. Where can I find the how to on rebuild.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:56 PM
umsta

lsd does slow down ur acceleration by a lil. thats what i read about how different lsds work
Old 06-13-2007, 12:50 AM
ZSpectrum

I can see how they would while turning, but going in a straight line I cant see why they would.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:43 AM
Beau

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done one track day with an open diff in my base model Z. I had no problems with 1 wheel spinning and I got the car sideways multiple times. At this time I'm not concerned with spending my money on a diff. LSD's may be effective on an autox because of generally being tighter corners, but in my personal experience, they are not necessary on a racetrack WITH stock power. I am far more concerned with getting wider wheels and tires right now.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:26 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beau
I have done one track day with an open diff in my base model Z. I had no problems with 1 wheel spinning and I got the car sideways multiple times. At this time I'm not concerned with spending my money on a diff. LSD's may be effective on an autox because of generally being tighter corners, but in my personal experience, they are not necessary on a racetrack WITH stock power. I am far more concerned with getting wider wheels and tires right now.
I too don't have much problem with the stock vlsd without the ABLS to help it, at the track. I run 275 RA1 so there is still plenty of grip.

But driving on the street with street tires, the vlsd has a hard time controling wheels spin. HP are just wasted in wheels spin...
Old 06-13-2007, 07:40 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lsd does slow down ur acceleration by a lil. thats what i read about how different lsds work
In the real world, LSDs improve lap times and 1/4 mile times.

LSD's may be effective on an autox because of generally being tighter corners, but in my personal experience, they are not necessary on a racetrack WITH stock power.
Well, if lap times are not a concern, then I agree. If lap times are important; I've seen a 5% improvement in lap times going from an open diff to a LSD and I've seen 1 to 3% improvements in lap times switching from various types of LSDs.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Beau

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Well, if lap times are not a concern, then I agree. If lap times are important; I've seen a 5% improvement in lap times going from an open diff to a LSD and I've seen 1 to 3% improvements in lap times switching from various types of LSDs.
With a basically stock car, I didn't have one case of 1 wheel spinning while at Shenandoah. I could induce oversteer as needed. I'm no expert, nor even experienced at track driving since I only have one track day under my belt, but I didn't feel I could have benefited from an LSD. Maybe in the future.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:54 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a basically stock car, I didn't have one case of 1 wheel spinning while at Shenandoah. I could induce oversteer as needed. I'm no expert, nor even experienced at track driving since I only have one track day under my belt, but I didn't feel I could have benefited from an LSD. Maybe in the future.
In that case, maybe it's not an issue of the car having stock power but more one of the driver just learning a new art ?

No offense intended. We all start at the rear of the "track pack" and slowly progress forward at our own pace.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:00 AM
jdm21bmx

If you plan on future track days or even auto-x you will eventually want an lsd. If you had to induce oversteer you have alot to learn about going around corners. Practice and more track days will help you improve your drving skills. The more you improve the more important the lsd will come in handy as you try and carry your speed through the corners.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:05 AM
Beau

Originally Posted by Kolia
In that case, maybe it's not an issue of the car having stock power but more one of the driver just learning a new art ?

No offense intended. We all start at the rear of the "track pack" and slowly progress forward at our own pace.
Possibly, and no offense taken. I did get oversteer pretty much at will though. I'm running on puny 225 width tires on all 4 corners also. My next purchase will be some 17x9 wheels and Nitto NT-01 275/40/17's. As it were, I was sliding around most of the corners at Shenandoah only using throttle inputs to control my rotation around corners. Understeer was only an issue in the slowest corners, the car felt very neutral and oversteer was way more common.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:43 AM
daveh

Originally Posted by Kolia

It actually took some time for me to get used to driving my car with the nismo lsd to get its full potential. It takes a slightly different drivng style. You can get on the gas sooner and control the balance more with your right foot. Point and shoot with foot to the floor at the apex..

I would agree with betamotorsports that a 5% reduction in lap times is reasonable with a good lsd. The ability to apply the throttle sooner and added the traction out of corners is very helpful on the track. The added car control and stability is also noticable at 10/10th's driving.

I realized this when driving someone else's track model with VLSD. If I drove it like my nismo equipped car, I was spinning inside tires and not able to have the at the limit balance that I enjoy with my nismo. Again not noticeable if driving at less than a race pace.

The downside of an lsd on the track is that your rear tires will generate more heat. Driving style and car setup can help this though. Another downside is that a little bit of precision is lost in the steering wheel but I think that this would be more noticable in an autox situation more so than road racing, and the diff can be built with different lockup percentages to aid in this as well. I also believe that ultimate skid pad grip is lost a bit with a strong diff. The traction out of corners more than makes up for this though.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:16 AM
ZSpectrum

Originally Posted by daveh
It actually took some time for me to get used to driving my car with the nismo lsd to get its full potential. It takes a slightly different drivng style. You can get on the gas sooner and control the balance more with your right foot. Point and shoot with foot to the floor at the apex..

I would agree with betamotorsports that a 5% reduction in lap times is reasonable with a good lsd. The ability to apply the throttle sooner and added the traction out of corners is very helpful on the track. The added car control and stability is also noticable at 10/10th's driving.

I realized this when driving someone else's track model with VLSD. If I drove it like my nismo equipped car, I was spinning inside tires and not able to have the at the limit balance that I enjoy with my nismo. Again not noticeable if driving at less than a race pace.

The downside of an lsd on the track is that your rear tires will generate more heat. Driving style and car setup can help this though. Another downside is that a little bit of precision is lost in the steering wheel but I think that this would be more noticable in an autox situation more so than road racing, and the diff can be built with different lockup percentages to aid in this as well. I also believe that ultimate skid pad grip is lost a bit with a strong diff. The traction out of corners more than makes up for this though.
How loud is your nismo lsd on the street and what lock do you have it at.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:27 AM
daveh

Originally Posted by ZSpectrum
How loud is your nismo lsd on the street and what lock do you have it at.
It's pretty much silent now with the WPC treatment. It is currently at 90%. Check out my recent thread on my rebuilding process. If you're buying a new nismo, re-stack it 80% before installing it.

https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/274357-rebuilding-nismo-lsd-and-plate-treatment.html
Old 06-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

I autocross with a Quaife and love it. I had an open diff and had traction issues on corner exits my first event. I suffered with the open diff for a few months and developed a nice soft touch with the throttle. When I got the Quaife, it took a little over a second off of my 43 second test-and-tune time. (A time that I was always within a couple tenths of every month.)

It's also great for daily driving. No noise and smooth, always-there traction. (There's no lag time for "lock-up")

If you have a factory LSD the improvement will not be as big. But I have driven stock LSD and my Quaife back to back, and can say the Quaife it better than stock. I have no experience with clutch type LSD's though, so I can't compare the Quaife with somethong like the Nismo.

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 06-13-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Andres_Miami

Question How many LSDs?

How many of you have an after market LSD, what % do have for the set up and what do you think it was your gain after installed?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:16 AM
daveh

Here's a writeup from me that might be helpful.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ight=nismo+lsd
Old 08-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Are you looking for opinions on what to buy? Or do you already own a clutch type and need help setting it up?

I have a Quaife LSD and it's awesome, but it doesn't use plates so I have no info on setting up a clutch-type LSD.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Axelerate

I have a Cusco RS set to the usuall 1.5 with 60% lock.

Works great on track and on the street. Would buy it again if I had to.

Quick Reply: The Big LSD FAQ thread (About various Limited Slip Differentials)