Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

The race section makes this site worth it :D

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:32 PM
jimmyloose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The race section makes this site worth it :D

So... I've got my first track event in december (introductory event Dec. 15th). And I need to address a few things on my Base model z.

At 55k miles my brakes/rotors/lines are shot. I'm going to just buy the stoptech stg 2 setup and hope it holds. I'm not too concerned with that.

I also have a few parts I want to install before I go that are just sitting in my garage (headers etc). Most of all... I want my Tilton Twin-Disc installed.

Problem is, it's used and I need some replacement components for it.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301650

Where can I get them?
What other things should I be concerned about beforehand?

James
Old 09-17-2007, 10:46 PM
dmoffitt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

call Tilton?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:49 PM
jimmyloose

No no.. that's too direct.

I've had trouble getting through in the past... I'll call again tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyloose
I also have a few parts I want to install before I go that are just sitting in my garage (headers etc). Most of all... I want my Tilton Twin-Disc installed.

What other things should I be concerned about beforehand?

James

engagement is like an on/off switch. on the track is great. street and rollin slow is hard. be prepared.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:57 AM
shinkuu

what track event are u going to?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:04 AM
jimmyloose

It's at buttonwillow. It's like... a safety/introduction day or something.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:04 AM
jimmyloose

It was a birthday gift. I'd just take my car as-is but the brakes are seriously hammered.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Originally Posted by jimmyloose
At 55k miles my brakes/rotors/lines are shot. I'm going to just buy the stoptech stg 2 setup and hope it holds. I'm not too concerned with that.

Brakes are the first thing you should be concerned about!!!
Old 09-18-2007, 02:34 PM
jimmyloose

Haha, they aren't that shot, I just think the components in the stg. 2 setup should be sufficient for the day and still be reasonably priced. It's not a big deal track day.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Stage 2 replaces rotors, lines, and pads? If so, you should be fine.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:39 PM
jimmyloose

Rotors, lines, pads and comes with 3l of motul. That should cover it.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Tekwon-V

i did my own "stage 2" upgrade before going Baer 14-inch 6-piston setup front and OE Brembo rear. i upgraded to ss lines, cryogenic power slot rotors, hawk hp+ pads and Elf Frelub synthetic fluid. it was "ok" at best.

lovin the new Baer/Brembo setup now.

hope to see you around on track!
Old 09-18-2007, 06:13 PM
John

What event on 12/15?
Old 09-18-2007, 11:36 PM
jimmyloose

Still trying to dump those brembo parts eh? . I really wish that deal had gone through. I'd have brembos today..

Aaaahaha.. I just looked it up, it's not really a track event... it's a 'Performance Driving Clinic'. Should be fun, I thought it was an HPDE. My girlfriend bought it for me for my birthday. I've never been to any kind of off-road event before, so it should be interesting.

On another note, I'm not going to worry about getting that tilton installed, I'm just going to get the brakes and the tires and sort out the rest of my suspension.

James
Old 09-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

2nd what Cheston said. Be prepared if you end up buying that Tilton. It is utterly impossible on the street. But sure is fine on the track!

When you do the stage II upgrade, make sure to order a good set of "track only" pads, to swap in for track days. Then go back to street pads when done.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:38 AM
PBLRacing

Soap Box Moment....

Why must one change anything on their car for a first day at the track? (Other than freshing your rotors, pads and fluids) Most have no idea what their car can do at the track, so why start making changes now? We all (including myself) have a tendancy to throw money at our cars to make them faster and better (ask me about how much I spent on my Trans Am between my 1st and 2nd track event $$$$$$$$$) and all we end up doing is masking our limitations as drivers.

In my humble opinion, other than safety upgrades, unless one can go out and turn 10+ laps in a row within a few tenths of each other then one is not consistent enough as a driver to properly evaluate the impact or need of changes that are being made. When one can be that consistent then changes must be made in measured increments. One at a time. Then one can tell the true impact of each change being made.

Money spent on mods that "have" to be made in order to make the Z better at the track is much better spent on seat time to improve the most important component in the car. The driver.

I believe what one should focus on is not having the fastest car but instead driving your car as fast as it can go.

Off my unsolicited and surely unappreciated soap box.....
Old 09-19-2007, 09:48 AM
jimmyloose

Originally Posted by PBLRacing
Soap Box Moment....

Why must one change anything on their car for a first day at the track? (Other than freshing your rotors, pads and fluids) Most have no idea what their car can do at the track, so why start making changes now? We all (including myself) have a tendancy to throw money at our cars to make them faster and better (ask me about how much I spent on my Trans Am between my 1st and 2nd track event $$$$$$$$$) and all we end up doing is masking our limitations as drivers.

In my humble opinion, other than safety upgrades, unless one can go out and turn 10+ laps in a row within a few tenths of each other then one is not consistent enough as a driver to properly evaluate the impact or need of changes that are being made. When one can be that consistent then changes must be made in measured increments. One at a time. Then one can tell the true impact of each change being made.

Money spent on mods that "have" to be made in order to make the Z better at the track is much better spent on seat time to improve the most important component in the car. The driver.

I believe what one should focus on is not having the fastest car but instead driving your car as fast as it can go.

I'm not disagreeing with you (and I've pretty much given up on the Tilton), but I have the clutch sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. That's all.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

I went to my first track day on street everything. Changed the oil, and bled the brakes, and that's about it. I boiled my brake fluid on turn 9 at Pueblo, and went into the dirt. That was later in the day, on about the 4th lap. I realized the stock brakes on a G35 6MT just can't keep up on the track, espcially with a heavy G, and a JWT TT for more speed. So I got the ST's in between my first and second track event.

My second track event made me realize my street tires won't hold up at the track very well, and that it makes economic sense, if I was going to continue tracking my G, to buy dedicated track wheels and R compound tires. Not so much for the added grip (although that is really nice!), but more because R-compounds can stand up to the heat, whereas my street tires just get too worn from 1 track day. I also realized I needed a stainless steel clutch line, because the rubber clutch line overheated and expanded due to the heat from the driver's side turbo. So I got those, and my thrid track session went well.

Now I think I need some extra cooling, and I am getting some more of the GTSPEC braces, not because I need them, but I feel they would make my car a better track car WITHOUT comprising the streetability of what is my daily driver.

So, yes, I agree that it doesn't make sesne, as a beginning tracker, to buy all kinds of things to make it a faster track car, but some things do make sense; upgraded brakes, as a safety issue (although a full BBK is overkill, I agree), and dedicated track tires/wheels, from an economic standpoint. Extra cooling, from a car longevity point.

Dave
Old 09-19-2007, 12:04 PM
jimmyloose

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
I went to my first track day on street everything. Changed the oil, and bled the brakes, and that's about it. I boiled my brake fluid on turn 9 at Pueblo, and went into the dirt.

So, yes, I agree that it doesn't make sesne, as a beginning tracker, to buy all kinds of things to make it a faster track car, but some things do make sense; upgraded brakes, as a safety issue (although a full BBK is overkill, I agree), and dedicated track tires/wheels, from an economic standpoint. Extra cooling, from a car longevity point.

Dave
Yeah, we're going to try and avoid that.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Stack

This bears repeating...
Originally Posted by PBLRacing
Soap Box Moment....

To expound on these thoughts just a bit... just because you run out of brakes or tires at your first or second event, doesn't mean the hardware can't take it. Sure... maybe the Autozone pads aren't up to snuff, or normal DOT3 brake fluid. And yeah, all-season radials will make a lot of noise, and not have a ton of grip, but that doesn't mean you can't learn how to drive on them.

It sure as HELL doesn't mean you've reached your hardware's limits. It means you've over-driven them to the point of submission. It means you're trying too hard to go too fast, which in fact, makes you go slower, and makes you burn through consumables too quickly.

Quick Reply: The race section makes this site worth it :D