Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

We're Running An Ex-Unitech 350z In Koni!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 01:06 PM
sfarrah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the championship in the 240 and good luck with the Z.
Must have been quite an experience driving at the Toronto Indy with that huge crowd!
Any more info/pics of the coastfab headers and are they generally available or were they just a one off?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:18 PM
daveh

I was passed by that car many times this season with the Lock's behind the wheel
Good luck in the Koni Challenge.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:47 PM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2 Playboy Koni Challenge 350Z's are for sale too.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:27 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thanks for the kind words guys! I look forward to getting more time in setting the car up and bringing it up to speed.

As for the headers, it looks like they were a one-off design but I'm really starting to believe in long tube headers, and obviously a good collector is ESSENTIAL.

So I am looking for a fabricator locally that will be able to mass produce some headers that I design, I have a few ideas in my head!

The indy was great fun with the 240, I can't wait to get back out there for '08 in a Z!
Old 12-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Scott Webb

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the purchase and good luck in '08! I wish Koni Challenge was headed back to the West Coast this year.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:21 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thanks for the kind words guys, here are a few small updates.

Put a Zeta II in the race car with S13/S14 rails modified to work, having sliders will allow drivers of different heights to run the car together (a good friend is 6'2 and I'm 5'6 so you can imagine how being able to move the seat is important)

Just had an intake manifold gasket come in so I will dyno and hopefully find some gains, Also got the Motec UTC usb to can adapter in the mail, so now I can map the Motec with my newer laptop, rather than using something ancient that has a paralell port!

As for the roadster we just fabbed up a dart style exhaust and will see if there are any gains on the dyno once we get it running we'll back to back it, and then change the y-pipe etc.

Will keep you guys updated!

Old 01-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Nevaland90

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats going on sasha, its Jason from NY (mazdeez). The car looks good cant wait to see it move. i just got a Z my self (i know, weird) fun car, i can only imagine what youll do in it.

good luck with the Z if everything works out ill see you next season.

haha those wheels on the vert look pretty familiar.

Last edited by Nevaland90; 01-02-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:16 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thanks man!

So just to update you guys the car prep is coming along well, we've been going over it inspecting and learning everything about the car, fixing and replacing worn out components and nut and bolt checking / paintmarking everything.

New wheels have been ordered from racerbob, they've shipped out already and im looking forward to getting them in a week or so!

Car is almost ready for paint, just want to get a few more front and rear bumpers and spare fenders so that I can paint everything all at once.

Sending the rear shocks and spare rear shocks to Truechoice KONI this week to have them all rebuilt, and am going from the single ground-control spring on shock setup they were using to the way unitech was doing it with the OEM spring on the lower control arm and shock, its actually a really neat design they have the height/preload adjustment through the trunk, nascar style

we're going to be re-doing the diff cooler setup tommorow so i'll update you guys with pics of that.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for these pics of your build process.

Any chance you could take a few pics of those pretty Koni racing shocks on the car? You have the 2822's, right?

Will
Old 01-18-2008, 07:56 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Here you go:

high speed bump and rebound adjustment on the body, low speed bump and rebound adjustment at the top of the shock

Also, as most of you don't know me this may be a little bit offside but - well its worth a try - i've been nominated by inside track for Canadian Racer of the Year, if you guys could vote for me that would be greatly appreciated!

www.insidetracknews.com < go there and you'll see a "readers choice awards" link about 3 pictures down on the right. I'm nominated on the 3rd or 4th question!

We're going to try a rev-up lower plenum on the race car and see if that makes more power, from the cars i've dyno'd so far it seems to make power above 6300rpm, and since we rev to 7400, i think the losses will be worth the gains.

Will keep you all updated of course!
Old 01-18-2008, 08:45 AM
mpowers

Voted & Good Luck!

btw, I'm going to steal your rear spring design

Cheers,
Mike
Old 01-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Fluid1

Glad to have you here. I'll be keeping up.
Where can I get my hands on these:

I will say this, the major power producer in this equation is the longtube headers built by coastfab. The collectors are gorgeous and the runners extend all the way to the middle of the gearbox, nothing like the exhaust manifold replacement designs you see online a lot
Old 01-18-2008, 12:35 PM
nkohler

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, jealous of that suspension! Looks like you guys are making progress over there Sasha.

I guess I will contribute a bit to your thread. Sasha sold me a set of CCW's from this car. I have begun to clean them up a bit and I am going to disassemble them over the next month or two and give them a full wet sanding and polishing.

They will be going on my car and will be seeing a good amount of autocross time as well as me learning road racing skills through some driving schools and PDX/HPDE's.

Specs:

17x9.5F +20
17x10.5R +16

Last edited by nkohler; 01-18-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:52 PM
r_seng

congrats on the win, and good luck with the up coming one.

keep us posted, very interested in the suspension, wheel and tire setup you have going on.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:54 PM
racerbob4

Its the third question Shasha and you got the American vote.
Good luck. Bob
Old 01-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the pic of the Koni. That's some expensive hardware you have there. I can't wait to see your diff cooler layout.

There seems to be a pretty big interest in the headers you are running, any shots of those? I think if you copy them, or have Coastfab make some more, you would find a fairly good market for them.

Will
Old 01-21-2008, 05:36 AM
racerbob4

Default new Enkei wheels

Sasha....your new Enkei wheels were checked into UPS at Windsor, Ontario as of 21 January. Bob
Old 01-21-2008, 07:35 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

I'm looking for someone to duplicate the headers right now, however looking at them it looks like they may need to be installed with the engine, or at the very least it may be required to lift the engine up 4-5 inches to allow the headers to be slipped on, due to very tight steering shaft clearance. Also they are all slip fit with springs, so for a street car some exhaust leaking may be an issue.

However, I believe there is a way to design them to keep them large radius long tube without requiring slip fit and without requiring an engine pull or lift to install.

When I have some time I'll look into it more!

The diff cooler is very straight forward, but i'll snap some pictures today.

Thanks bob, I got your email, they are clearing customs right now and should be here tommorow if all goes smoothly!

All the best guys,

Sasha
Old 01-21-2008, 08:43 AM
nissannx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an exciting build. I'm looking forward to following your races this year. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be interesting to know the spring rates they (Unitech) used. Looking at the wire diameter of the spring in the picture sure looks like its a decent rate. I'm just curious if they used the same setup thinking that they used in doing the R&D for Truechoice.

Quick Reply: We're Running An Ex-Unitech 350z In Koni!