Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Roll bar/ seat setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:58 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How often will you drive it on the street? Keep that in mind while you're shopping for seats and your roll bar/cage. I don't think the stock cloth seats get the kudos they deserve for most applications.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:29 AM
ZSpectrum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billhyco
i just put in a Kirk roll bar this past saturday. only thing i really don't like is how much room the pass seat loses. It did move the drivers seat up some with the stock seats still in but not to an uncomfortable amount. I put the main hoop in myself in about 2.5 hours. i haven't put the X bar in the back yet b/c of time issues but hopefull it will be done this weekend. I like it b/c its not welded in. Someday I want a full on roll cage and will want to remove this one, so bolt in it was for me.

i've been looking at the Corbeau FX-1, but haven't bit the bullet yet.
pics, link to where you bought it?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Billhyco

Originally Posted by ZSpectrum
pics, link to where you bought it?

i know you can order from them directly www.kirkracing.com. but I heard not to long ago they were back ordered.

i found mine locally, used, for $300.00

but don't forget, it will eat up A LOT of pass. seat room. but like i tell people, i don't sit there. nor do i hardly ever take anyone in my car. from someone who knows, get someone to help you. just makes it easier. everything fit GREAT once in the car. I did have to pound on the pass floor board just a tad bit to get the mount all the way flat on the floor, but we are only talking maybe 1/4 worth of metal moving. a hammer and a short 2x4 did the trick. It was a little tricky getting all the holes lined up to drill it perfectly, but take your time, well worth the work.
Attached Thumbnails Roll bar/ seat setup-kirk-roll-bar.jpg  

Last edited by Billhyco; 03-05-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:45 AM
ZSpectrum

Originally Posted by Billhyco
i know you can order from them directly www.kirkracing.com. but I heard not to long ago they were back ordered.

i found mine locally, used, for $300.00

but don't forget, it will eat up A LOT of pass. seat room. but like i tell people, i don't sit there. nor do i hardly ever take anyone in my car. from someone who knows, get someone to help you. just makes it easier. everything fit GREAT once in the car. I did have to pound on the pass floor board just a tad bit to get the mount all the way flat on the floor, but we are only talking maybe 1/4 worth of metal moving. a hammer and a short 2x4 did the trick. It was a little tricky getting all the holes lined up to drill it perfectly, but take your time, well worth the work.
that looks great, is it fully bolt in?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Billhyco

Originally Posted by ZSpectrum
that looks great, is it fully bolt in?

yeah has four bolts at each leg. Comes with a top and bottom plates for each leg as well. On the rear X bar where bolted to the car you will need to trim the plastic slightly, not difficult, just another item to take your time with. The only part of the bar that actually bolts together is where the X bar meets the main hoop. basically there are two sleeves that the X and the main hoop slide into. From there, you put a bolt through both sleeves on each end tighten. you can kind of see it in the picture.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:53 AM
DJ SMITTY
Sponsor
CIN Motorsports

Bill, more installed pics pleeease.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:00 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by scotts300
How often will you drive it on the street? Keep that in mind while you're shopping for seats and your roll bar/cage. I don't think the stock cloth seats get the kudos they deserve for most applications.
But if you plan to use harnesses, the stock seats won't work..at least properly.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:25 AM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by Stack
I'm VERY curious to know what that sticker says... just looking at your two pics, I can see at least four reasons not to approve it for track use, and I'd HIGHLY recommend not even having it in the car. If you'd like to know them, let me know, and I'll post for the benefit of others... otherwise, I won't waste the thread's space.
can you post the reasons, i'm curious
Old 03-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Billhyco

Originally Posted by DJ SMITTY
Bill, more installed pics pleeease.
if i had more install pics, i would post them all. i actually stole that picture from the Kirk website. there was a write up on here about a year ago from a guy that had a TON of install pics for the same roll bar. I pm'd him over the weekend to get a good idea about how it all went in, but he couldn't find the pictures. I think he "ex" has them or something. When I get home, I can take some pics of the mounts/bolts/new seat position, whatever is needed or wanted but thats all i can provide. what exactly will you be looking to see???

Spoilsofwar had them posted here.......https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ll+bar+install

Last edited by Billhyco; 03-05-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:55 AM
DJ SMITTY
Sponsor
CIN Motorsports

I'm just looking for installed pics. Preferably from inside and outside of the car.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:53 AM
Billhyco

Originally Posted by DJ SMITTY
I'm just looking for installed pics. Preferably from inside and outside of the car.
i will see what i can do tonight
Old 03-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by warmmilk
can you post the reasons, i'm curious
Sure... and so we're clear... this is the cage I'm referring to, not the Kirk or Autopower:

OK...
  1. No diagonal cross member - cage will shift left/right
  2. No rearward bracing - cage will shift fore/aft
  3. Front legs appear to be "clamped" into the main hoop instead of bolted properly
  4. Appears to have been crimp bent, not mandrel bent
  5. S-bends in front legs around dash will be the first thing to fold... hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like they are bent in such a way that when they do fold, they will fold right onto the occupants legs.

On top of that, there's no high-density padding on the bar, and it's too close to the driver's head (more of a seating mounting issue than a roll bar issue). We can't see how it's mounted either, thats a whole 'nother ball game.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:54 AM
daveh

If the car is something you are going to keep for a while, I'd recommend going with a custom setup. It won't cost that much more after shipping/installation of an autopower, it will fit better, be safer, and have the potential of strenghening the body depending on design.
Do a search under my name to see my custom rollbar and seat install. I'm really happy with my cobra suzuka seat.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i'd recommend a custom roll bar over the cusco thing anyday. i'd doubt if that 'cage' is even legal for most racing sanctions..

heres some super old picts i took when my roll bar was first done.. (note the stock seats and the clearance)

a more recent pict:

it was a weld in job- i wanted weld in because 1. i didnt trust a bolt together setup 2. custom allowed for the bar to be all the way up to the roof where it's supposed to be-.. i'm going to eventually weld plates to the pillars to "square" up the cage so that the cage does not move independently of the chassis flex

mine is basically the rear half of this full cage:

Old 03-06-2008, 04:31 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

That bar is nicely done
Old 03-17-2008, 10:02 PM
creationv2

wow thats a sick cage.

how much does a full cage or like the one cheston has run a person?
Old 03-18-2008, 03:52 AM
Billhyco

a custom 4pt roll bar (not roll cage) will run somewhere around $700-$800 give or take. Cage, I have no idea, never priced one.