Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Roll bar/ seat setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:47 PM
ZSpectrum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll bar/ seat setup

Im wanting to put some good seats in with a roll bar/ harness's
I cant find a roll bar with any solid info/ links.
Im looking for info/ opinions on the autopower and kirk racing roll bar.

Im looking at sparco evo(the small ones)
and bride brix II and ergo II any opinions on any of these seats

and finally harness's takata green should I do 5 or 6 points
the z will be used for road course open road racing and possibly drifting.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:59 AM
Axelerate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the autopower bar and I am happy with it. Here's the thread:https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/282088-pics-of-my-autopower-roll-bar-and-track-wheels.html

I have added a Cobra Suzuka seat as well.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:27 AM
Billhyco

i just put in a Kirk roll bar this past saturday. only thing i really don't like is how much room the pass seat loses. It did move the drivers seat up some with the stock seats still in but not to an uncomfortable amount. I put the main hoop in myself in about 2.5 hours. i haven't put the X bar in the back yet b/c of time issues but hopefull it will be done this weekend. I like it b/c its not welded in. Someday I want a full on roll cage and will want to remove this one, so bolt in it was for me.

i've been looking at the Corbeau FX-1, but haven't bit the bullet yet.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:37 AM
Stack

Go with six point harnesses, it'll be the standard minimum sooner rather than later, and your nether regions will thank you.

No need to spend that kind of hard-earned dough on Takatas, unless you just have a thing for green. You can get G-force cam-lock six-points for less than half the price of the Takata 4-point (not even including the added sub straps.) Don't forget, you'll need two sets of harnesses and seats if you'll be doing DE's with an instructor or passenger.

Stick with a known entity as far as bolt in bars... Kirk and Autopower are both excellent companies and know what they're doing. A bolt-in 4-point bar won't fit as well as a custom built unit, but it should be a little less expensive.

Last edited by Stack; 03-05-2008 at 04:05 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:42 AM
six3mike

I have the BCR harness bar in mine. Only reason is because I got a good deal on it. Otherwise I was going to go with the Kirk racing one. I also have FX1 Pro's. They are really snug and I love them on the track. Good seats for the money. Here is a pic of them before I installed the harness bar.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-05-2008, 03:58 AM
Billhyco

Originally Posted by Stack
Go with six point harnesses, it'll be the standard minimum and your nether regions will thank you.

No need to spend that kind of hard-earned dough on Takatas, unless you just have a thing for green. You can get G-force cam-lock six-points for less than half the price of the Takata 4-point (not even including the added sub straps.) Don't forget, you'll need two sets of harnesses and seats if you'll be doing DE's with an instructor or passenger.

Stick with a known entity as far as bolt in bars... Kirk and Autopower are both excellent companies and know what they're doing. A bolt-in 4-point bar won't fit as well as a custom built unit, but it should be a little less expensive.
WWW.APEXPERFORMANCE.COM has some killer deals on the G-Force belts. I think they are around $150.00 with the cam-lock.

Stacy I didn't know 6pt was required or is going to be required. I certainly can understand why I would want it, but did not know the rules...thank you.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:04 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by Billhyco
WWW.APEXPERFORMANCE.COM has some killer deals on the G-Force belts. I think they are around $150.00 with the cam-lock.

Stacy I didn't know 6pt was required or is going to be required. I certainly can understand why I would want it, but did not know the rules...thank you.
I think I didn't finish my sentence in my other post... 6 points are not required YET... but my educated guess is that it will be required over 5-points within the next couple years (if not for us, for NASA, SCCA, etc.)
Old 03-05-2008, 04:12 AM
laze1

A six point harness and a HANS device will likely be required over the next couple of years for DE and Time Trials.....definitely any wheel-to-wheel racing....I believe NASA will require the HANS this year for W-2-W stuff, SCCA will not be far behind....

BTW: I like the Schroth 6-point belts, very good quality and fitments, and reasonable price...more $ than G-Force, but less than Takata

And since I am kinda tall, about 6' 1", I bought a custom fitted Ultrasheild Aluminum seat...you can get a custom width and upper belt holes locations. They are cheap (<$200) and fit GREAT. Kirkly also make a similar seat. And the HANS device fits in this seat.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:25 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by laze1
A six point harness and a HANS device will likely be required over the next couple of years for DE and Time Trials.....definitely any wheel-to-wheel racing....I believe NASA will require the HANS this year for W-2-W stuff, SCCA will not be far behind....
While a HANS device is certainly recommended for anyone using harnesses, it won't be required for DE use any time soon... just way too cost-prohibitive. We'd never fill any events if we required them for non-competitive events as it would require ALL cars to have roll bars and harnesses.

And yes, NASA W2W specs mandate specifically the HANS device beginning June 1, 2008. BMW Club racing has been requiring it since the beginning of 2007.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:44 AM
Billhyco

i think if i had a prepared car i wouldn't want to race W2W without the HANS. Not even sure I would take a chance without it on open track days. I know they are expensive, but well worth the money in my opinion.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:47 AM
MUZZY

Old 03-05-2008, 05:00 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by MUZZY
Do any clubs up in Delaware let you run that roll bar at DE's?

Got any pics of the front bars? How it interacts with the dash?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:10 AM
Billhyco

wish i could see it, filter sucks. what kind is it?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:12 AM
laze1

I am gonna buy one very soon..they now have a less expensive model @ $695

http://www.saferacer.com/hans-sport-...productid=1296

i think if i had a prepared car i wouldn't want to race W2W without the HANS. Not even sure I would take a chance without it on open track days. I know they are expensive, but well worth the money in my opinion.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:14 AM
laze1

agreed!

While a HANS device is certainly recommended for anyone using harnesses, it won't be required for DE use any time soon... just way too cost-prohibitive. We'd never fill any events if we required them for non-competitive events as it would require ALL cars to have roll bars and harnesses.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:23 AM
MUZZY

Do any clubs up in Delaware let you run that roll bar at DE's?

Got any pics of the front bars? How it interacts with the dash?
1- I never tried to ask, but I'm pretty sure they will approve.

2- --------------------->

Old 03-05-2008, 06:25 AM
laze1

Looks like a Cusco

wish i could see it, filter sucks. what kind is it?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:27 AM
MUZZY

its cusco, has a sticker on it with some approvals and saction stuff but i cant remember, i had to take mines out for paint. ><
Old 03-05-2008, 06:47 AM
Billhyco

i'm the first to admit.....i don't know CRAP about cages/bars/welding/regulations, but to me it seems all those bends in the roof bar and the front leg would create weak points if in a crash. i am probably dead wrong, but just wondering i guess.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by MUZZY
its cusco, has a sticker on it with some approvals and saction stuff but i cant remember, i had to take mines out for paint. ><
I'm VERY curious to know what that sticker says... just looking at your two pics, I can see at least four reasons not to approve it for track use, and I'd HIGHLY recommend not even having it in the car. If you'd like to know them, let me know, and I'll post for the benefit of others... otherwise, I won't waste the thread's space.

Quick Reply: Roll bar/ seat setup