Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

VDC and road course racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know exactly what you're referring to. It really doesn't like the steering input while under braking.

Once you do deactivate the Yaw sensor, you'll realize it's also doing stuff when braking in a straight line. Watch the rear end as you won't be able to just hit the brakes and wait.

A lot more fun when you have to balance the car on its nose like that IMO.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:28 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I turn the VDC as soon as my engine is started. The VDC is a pain in the @ss. It takes total control away from you, I hate that. On the track I disconnect it and depending on the track I will disconnect the ABS. My car does some wierd $hit when I trail brake, so I just unplug the ABS.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also just by pressing the vdc button ...it doesn't completely turn off. You have to rig a switch to the orange wire in the loom right next to the ebrake underneath the center console...your vdc and slip light will remain on but you'll have total control.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:21 PM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
I turn the VDC as soon as my engine is started. The VDC is a pain in the @ss. It takes total control away from you, I hate that. On the track I disconnect it and depending on the track I will disconnect the ABS. My car does some wierd $hit when I trail brake, so I just unplug the ABS.
So how do you go about disconnecting it? Is it a fuse under the hood? Haven't looked yet.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:33 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read these stories about erratic braking in the 350Z and I'm baffled.

I notice no unusual braking behavior with my 2006 base 350Z and that's braking with custom cut Hawk DTC70 pads all around. I'm impressed with how balanced the car is even under hard braking from 150 down to 70 on the Cal Speedway roval course. I can also easily trial brake the car to get it to rotate on slower corners, although left foot braking while on the throttle will cause the drive by wire system to hiccup for an instant.

This car, even the base 2006 model, has a good, balanced braking system. Maybe I'm easily impressed after years of racing a number of cars from the 1970s. You guys have it good with the brakes on a 350Z.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:16 AM
laze1

This maybe a symptom related ONLY to the "VDC" option...However I am not sure. If I am correct, a Base car doesn't have VDC and the related "Yaw" sensor that has been identifed as the main culprit of all this mayhem.

The basic 'work-around" is to remove the Yaw sensor from the system via several methods.

Originally Posted by betamotorsports

I notice no unusual braking behavior with my 2006 base 350Z and that's braking with custom cut Hawk DTC70 pads all around. I'm impressed with how balanced the car is even under hard braking from 150 down to 70 on the Cal Speedway roval course. I can also easily trial brake the car to get it to rotate on slower corners, although left foot braking while on the throttle will cause the drive by wire system to hiccup for an instant.

This car, even the base 2006 model, has a good, balanced braking system. Maybe I'm easily impressed after years of racing a number of cars from the 1970s. You guys have it good with the brakes on a 350Z.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

+1, But I have a base.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:29 PM
hippie

I know the feeling you guys are talking about.........Kinda a shudder/grinding in the front when trying to brake and turn at the same time.

Once the yaw sensor is deactivated will the Z actually turn and brake at the same time?!?

The only time I've been able to achieve that is with "split" brake pads....HP front w/ HP+ rear. The car will rotate under braking, but overall brake force is greatly dimished.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:31 PM
itsjiggajames

My car doesn't even have VDC, I guess i'm going to crash soon. TCS off definitely if you are manual.. otherwise have fun bogging x 10000.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:15 AM
dnguyent

IMO, our cars need the EBFD (electronic brake force distribution) to brake optimally. When I removed my ABS module for repair, I did one track day without the system. That's when I found out how much I relied on the system to threshold brake and to keep the car balanced under braking. Without the EBFD, I was locking up the one of the front tires, and the worst part was that it wasn't consistent or predictable. I did not have fun. I'm surprised I didn't flat spot my tires because there was sure a lot of tire smoke.

As for VDC, I was coaching an intermediate student at a brand new track (to him) who drove with the VDC on. From the passenger seat, I noticed that the car behaved oddly at limit. It wasn't rotating, and everytime I told my student to squeeze the throttle out of a turn, it felt like the car would hiccup or starving for fuel (that's TCS kicking in). Then in the next session, he turned it off, and bammo, if felt much better. For a beginner track driver, leave it on because there won't be that much slipping and sliding yet. More effort will be put on lines, awareness, and smooth inputs. Once good habits are establish, turn VDC/TCS off!

IMO, I think VDC should always be kept on for mt roads and street driving though. I can't believe anyone would drive so fast on public roads as to actually loose traction (I'm an old fart with a baby on board). The Z grips really well, and I think you got to be going pretty damn fast to actually get VDC to kick in.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:52 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ABS equipped cars generally have a brake system that's more mechanically front biased then cars not ABS equipped. This is generally by design so that the car hits the tree head on (allowing the air bags to protect the occupants) if any part of the ABS system fails. A working ABS system has software that makes up for this mechanical front bias.

If you disconnect or remove the ABS system, mechanical changes to the brake system are needed to reduce the front bias and better balance the brake setup.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dnguyent
IMO, I think VDC should always be kept on for mt roads and street driving though. I can't believe anyone would drive so fast on public roads as to actually loose traction (I'm an old fart with a baby on board). The Z grips really well, and I think you got to be going pretty damn fast to actually get VDC to kick in.
I have driven a Z with VDC on, on a track. (By accident, my car is a base, and I have to remind myself to turn off electronic nannies before driving other cars.)

It may have been due to the aftermarket wheels and tires, but the VDC was kicking in way before it was needed. ( It felt much better on my second run with VDC off)

I do agree with the general notion that, if one has to ask, one should just leave the VDC on.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:09 PM
SteveA

I usually just switch off the VDC for track sessions, but do notice the issue with braking and turning. I have R-comps and Stoptechs.

After reading this thread I tried pulling the VDC fuse at a track night last night. Haven't driven the car without ABS before and it took a few laps to get it balanced under threshold braking, with a few locked tires along the way. By the end of the first session I was controlling it pretty well, but it requires a lot of work to keep the car at the braking limit and the bottom line was my laps were slower. Plugged the fuse back in and VDC off in the second session my times were a second a lap quicker and a lot less work required in the brake zone. So I'll keep ABS!

What I did like with the system fully disabled was the much improved ability to trail brake, so I am interested to try disabling the yaw sensor with a switch. Somebody above mentioned cutting the orange wire? Are you sure? I've seen enough movies to know you never cut the red wire
Old 03-19-2008, 02:53 AM
Axelerate

I disable the yaw sensor behind the shifter.

Yes, it allows you to turn and brake without the car going crazy and ABS still works. Theres no reason not to do it. It's very easy to connect, and disconnect.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:19 AM
Billhyco

Originally Posted by Axelerate
I disable the yaw sensor behind the shifter. -----

It's very easy to connect, and disconnect.
any pictures of where it is located? which wire? just unplug it???
Old 03-20-2008, 09:16 AM
godmans

If you have to ask about leaving VDC on or off, leave it on. You're not ready to turn it off yet.
+1
or driving school FTW!@
Old 03-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Axelerate

Originally Posted by Billhyco
any pictures of where it is located? which wire? just unplug it???

Here is the original thread that explains everything:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ght=yaw+sensor
Old 03-20-2008, 05:28 PM
VIZAGE

I have to tell you, I went out to do some aggressive driving with the VDC off (closed course). I like this much more. Never had it before on my Z and don't see to use it when even daily driving. VDC IMO is over rated. It seems to do more harm with my driving skills.

I didn't ask the question because I don't know how to drive. Just never owned a car with VDC. I fill my skills are slightly above the average guy. Just giving some feed back after some testing of my own. I know most were saying if you have to ask then leave it on. That's true for someone that knows nothing about handling or that hasn't got out there and have a feel for the basic skills of road course. But I'm more than confident about leaving it off. Maybe not in the rain though.

Last edited by VIZAGE; 03-20-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:39 PM
KPierson
Banned

For those of you who like to keep VDC off all the time check out the KPtechnologies VDC memory module - for $39 it will keep the VDC off for as long as you want, regardless of how many times you restart the car. Once you turn VDC back on it will stay on until YOU turn it off again. Only 3 wires to connect and installation can be done in under 30 minutes.

For more information check out http://www.KPtechnologies.com
Old 04-04-2008, 04:04 AM
SteveA

^^
KP Technologies,
As I understand it this is a module which stops VDC from resetting itself to on each time the car is started which may be handy, but the VDC off parameters are still the same as stock, which does not disable the yaw sensor.

How about some wizadry that turns the yaw sensor on and off with the VDC selection?

That would be worth buying and save disconnecting the harness or cutting the yaw sensor wires to fit a switch.

Quick Reply: VDC and road course racing