Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

road racers advice needed: springs to use with koni shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 03:20 PM
350zippy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default road racers advice needed: springs to use with koni shocks

hey guys, help needed.
thinking of preparing the car for nasa-se pt class.
nasa penalizes costly/highly adjustable coilovers .
thinking of using koni yellows but can't find what springs to use.
can't find who carries/or if still available nismo T2 springs.

any other options? less costly/easy adjustable coilovers?
any advice greatly appreciated!
cheers
jose
Old 04-27-2008, 05:20 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to give Swift Springs or True Choice a call. I think they can help you with anything you might need.

JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 04-27-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:29 PM
mistico

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think T2 springs are still available but they take about a month to get.

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=2792
Old 04-28-2008, 06:08 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zippy
hey guys, help needed.
thinking of preparing the car for nasa-se pt class.
nasa penalizes costly/highly adjustable coilovers .
thinking of using koni yellows but can't find what springs to use.
can't find who carries/or if still available nismo T2 springs.

any other options? less costly/easy adjustable coilovers?
any advice greatly appreciated!
cheers
jose
What exactly does the Nasa Se Pt class rules say in reguards to the dampers, springs and maybe adjustable height?

I don't want to reply and find out the rules don't allow something or other.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:25 AM
mpowers

We went with the nismo t2 springs and koni sa but revalved by koni for the spring rate of the t2 springs. Off the shelf koni's will not last very long with the high t2 spring rate and allow for no adjustment to control them.

Note..I can't say this is the best way to go about this, this is just what we have currently and is working well.

Good luck and hope to see you around the southeast NASA events!
Old 04-28-2008, 06:44 AM
350zippy

thank you all
g35 , nasa puts a Z on PTC (stock), any mods are allowed but penalized with points. as points add you go to PTB, PTA and so on...
any coilovers/shocks/springs are allowed but the more expensive/sofisticated(number and level of adjustments,external reservoir...) the more points added.

Mike , where to get T2 springs and how/where to get konis revalved. if you could expand on that. feel free to Pm me if easier. thank again.
cheers
jose
Old 04-28-2008, 07:15 AM
jmark

Check out the TC Kline Koni DA Shocks for sale advertised in the latest Nissan Sport magazine. I know they work with the T2 springs and the cost was very good.

Last edited by jmark; 04-28-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:42 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running a set of custom valved Koni SPorts with the stock springs that came on my base 2006 350Z. If your car is an earlier model 350Z, installing the springs from the 2006 will give you a more balanced setup and you can probably argue that its a no points mod, if anyone even asks. I'm also running the Nissan Motorsports adjsutable anti-roll bars which work great.

FYI... I've been trying to get a set of the springs off a Nismo 350Z but I can't seem to find a dealer that will sell them separately.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by mpowers
We went with the nismo t2 springs and koni sa but revalved by koni for the spring rate of the t2 springs. Off the shelf koni's will not last very long with the high t2 spring rate and allow for no adjustment to control them.

Note..I can't say this is the best way to go about this, this is just what we have currently and is working well.

Good luck and hope to see you around the southeast NASA events!
Totally agree with revalving OTS Koni's. I've run them with 375, 448 and 560, things didn't improve as rates went up. Adding in more rebound did have a effect, but the shock didn't have the ability to properly contol mid and high speed compression. It was as if the a degressive valve blew open and stuck, offering little in the way of control. Might want to consider 2812's to get around that as their is only so much that can be done with the twin tube design, though I realize it's a compromise to contain costs.

To the OP, three places come to mind to contact about revalving.

Truechoice raing services (speak to Phil, my experience is they have a good turn around time and do reply to emails in a timely manner).

ProPartsUsa. (bought my Koni front coilover parts from them) Little slow on email replies

Performance Shock (IMO Phil at Truechoice would be a better choice as he has a better understanding about the constraints of tuning OTS Koni yellows)

If you can't wait for Nismo T2 springs, I have machined 6061 front spring perches that allow you to use Tein tapered springs and the oem upper mounts, for the rear you would simply use Eibach or Swift 5" OD springs with the pig tail cut off to sit in the lower control arm.

Also, I might know of a way to get custom valved monotube Bilstein HD shocks that have rebound adjustablity, not sure yet however. They would be easier to tune valving wise then the Koni's and a lot less expensive then several other premium choices.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:50 AM
jmark

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
I'm running a set of custom valved Koni SPorts with the stock springs that came on my base 2006 350Z. If your car is an earlier model 350Z, installing the springs from the 2006 will give you a more balanced setup and you can probably argue that its a no points mod, if anyone even asks. I'm also running the Nissan Motorsports adjsutable anti-roll bars which work great.

FYI... I've been trying to get a set of the springs off a Nismo 350Z but I can't seem to find a dealer that will sell them separately.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....35#post5643535
Old 04-28-2008, 07:59 AM
betamotorsports

Yeah, salvage will probably be my best option. I just want the springs to test the rates, see the balance Nissan designed into the car, and if the rates are any greater then what's on my base 2006.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Gsedan35

Yeah, salvage will probably be my best option. I just want the springs to test the rates, see the balance Nissan designed into the car, and if the rates are any greater then what's on my base 2006.
John if I see a way for you to get ahold of some those springs, I will pm you. I've been looking for them too for the same reason, though since I believe they are progressive I have no desire to actually use them.

I just sent you a pm btw.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:30 AM
mpowers

pm sent Jose...edit: Koni revalved ours.

John, the Nismo springs that come on the car are not available yet to my knowledge. Maybe in a few months?

Gsedan35, when these wear out we plan to upgrade, but we're happy for now. Working on a few other things to add some speed.....
Old 04-28-2008, 09:55 AM
betamotorsports

I've heard from a Nissan parts guy that the springs on the Nismo Z are the S-Tune aftermarket Nismo springs. I don't think that's true but I have no facts to backup my opinion.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:14 AM
jmark

I've heard from a Nissan parts guy that the springs on the Nismo Z are the S-Tune aftermarket Nismo springs. I don't think that's true but I have no facts to backup my opinion.
I agree. I don't think they are the same.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:57 AM
350zippy

again,many thanks
my understanding is that stock and nismo s-tune springs are progressive.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:24 PM
stuntman

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

+1 on Swift springs.

Check out www.M-workz.net who has probably the fastest Time Attack 350Z in the country.

-I just drove a 350Z that M-Workz aligned and set up which had Koni yellow dampers with Swift Springs that were very well balanced.

$0.02

Last edited by stuntman; 04-28-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:41 PM
betamotorsports

I'm not sure if the stock springs are progressive or not (didn't test them) but it appears that the 350Z relies a lot on progressive bump stops front and rear. I think Hippie did some more formal testing of the springs and the bump stops.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:45 PM
betamotorsports

From what I can find on the Internet, the Swift Mach Sport Springs are softer then the stock springs on the 2006 350Z. 335 lb. in. F and 363 lb. in. R.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:36 PM
jmark

John, Per Sports Car International Nov. 2007 issue the spring rates are increased by 35% and the shock valving adjusted accordingly. Front anti roll bar no change but rear bar beefed up by 37%.

Quick Reply: road racers advice needed: springs to use with koni shocks