Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Track Car Interior???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 02:36 PM
striker27

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Track Car Interior???

I was looking at tracking my car and was hoping to get some info on the occupant safety stuff the track guys are running.

I would like to know what seat or seats, guys are running, cage or rollbar and harnesses, most are using. Pics would be nice. I drive my car sometimes on the street and would like to know how far I would have to go and what the comfort level would be if I were to do this.

THANX
Old 08-28-2008, 04:04 PM
dmoffitt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Racetech seats, custom 6pt cage (want to remove / re-do it), corbeau harnesses (5pt, want to upgrade/replace next year). might have some pics later ...
Old 08-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Axelerate

Cobra Susuzka S drivers seat, Cobra Imola passenger seat, G-Force 6 point harnesses and Autopower race roll bar.

Once I get the car on scales, I will decide what I will strip out.

Right now only the rear is gutted.

Car is still street driven, the seats are pretty comfy, and the bar does not intrude at all.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:45 PM
striker27

That seat looks great!!

Is it possible to route the factory shoulder belt through the top holes in the seat though????

That would solve my problem of not wanting to use the harnesses all that much on the street.

Also is that a weld in roll bar you have?

Does anyone know if we have bolt in roll bars similar to what alot of the guys who track the GT3's are using???

THANX
Old 08-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Axelerate

I'm sure you could if you un-bolted the belt.

I don't run the harnesses on the street and yes I know I shouldn't run the the stock belt like it is, but I'm lazy.

Yes, the Autopower bar is a weld in with a harness and cross bar that can be bolted out. Kirk Racing makes a bolt in bar, but it eats up the passenger space and might be uncomfortable for picky wives or large passengers.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Ataru074

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Axelerate
I'm sure you could if you un-bolted the belt.

I don't run the harnesses on the street and yes I know I shouldn't run the the stock belt like it is, but I'm lazy.
ok.. you have the cobra seats... (finally somebody)...
which combo of sliders/base/side mounts did you used? all the cobra stuff?..
and... did you had to modify anything? I'm planning to use a cobra imola GT (the wider one.. I'm 34 waist, 5'11") and for daily driving I was thinking that the suzuka with high sides would be quite a PITA.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Axelerate

No, I cheated and I am using Nagisa side mount rails. They lower the seat a great deal and work well.

They are not FIA rated, so they are a no go for race cars. If I go to a full cage someday I will mount them to the chassis.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Morris

Cobra Susuzka S drivers seat, Cobra Imola passenger seat, G-Force 6 point harnesses and Autopower race roll bar.

Once I get the car on scales, I will decide what I will strip out.

Right now only the rear is gutted.

Car is still street driven, the seats are pretty comfy, and the bar does not intrude at all.

Can you please provide a pic or two that will show the headrest of the driver's seat and the roll? I would like to see where the roll bar sits in relation to the seats.

Thanks...
Old 08-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Axelerate

Here's one with a old seat:

That seat was even with the bar, but my head even with helmet, did not reach the top of the seat. It was tall.

The stock seats are under the bar and the Cobras are even lower.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:18 PM
JETPILOT

Heres a link to a good article on what you should add and when you should add it.

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Safety_at_the_track
Old 08-28-2008, 09:34 PM
daveh

Originally Posted by Ataru074
ok.. you have the cobra seats... (finally somebody)...
which combo of sliders/base/side mounts did you used? all the cobra stuff?..
and... did you had to modify anything? I'm planning to use a cobra imola GT (the wider one.. I'm 34 waist, 5'11") and for daily driving I was thinking that the suzuka with high sides would be quite a PITA.

I have the Cobra Suzuka GT seats in my daily driven Z and absolutely love it. I started out with a fixed custom mount (still for sale; shameless plug), but eventually had to change it out for a custom sliding system to accomadate multiple drivers.
I also run my stock belt on the street with the belt routed through the lower outside hole in the seat to ensure a tight fit on my waist. You can see what I'm referring to in the link below.
There are many threads on roll bars and even a dedicated thread on the Cobra seats. Best bet is to find a local retailer that will let you sit in some.

https://my350z.com/forum/competition...a-gt-seat.html
Old 08-29-2008, 05:38 AM
Ataru074

No, I cheated and I am using Nagisa side mount rails. They lower the seat a great deal and work well.

They are not FIA rated, so they are a no go for race cars. If I go to a full cage someday I will mount them to the chassis.
no, right now I don't care about FIA rating... I was just looking for something like your solution... roll bar and seats (your roll bar looks good). if the nagisa rails allow to stay 1 inch (or maybe a little more) lower than stock I'm ok with that.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:55 AM
12AutoX

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Heres a link to a good article on what you should add and when you should add it.

Thanks for the link
A couple thousand dollars to do things right, rendering the car nearly unstreetable. I'll be relying on the OEM equipment for a while. Very good info on anti-submarining. I was not aware of the whole organ-crushing thing. That changes my mind about using a 4 point harness with OEM seats on anything other than an autocross.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:25 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT

Just an FYI, a lot of that was written by our very own STACK. He's a great resource for track safety and the latest on the equipment available. He can also answer a lot about the impact of doing some of the safety items on the street such as some cars you can do a rollbar safely since it would be behind the b-pillar..others can not.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Axelerate

Originally Posted by Ataru074
no, right now I don't care about FIA rating... I was just looking for something like your solution... roll bar and seats (your roll bar looks good). if the nagisa rails allow to stay 1 inch (or maybe a little more) lower than stock I'm ok with that.

They will lower the seat to the floor.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Ataru074

They will lower the seat to the floor.
but yours aren't GT (fat ***) size... that means that I need to have at least custom side mounts... or be on diet for the next 3 month and grind some of my bones....
Old 08-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Axelerate

No, but i believe Nagisa makes mounts for the wider seats.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:14 PM
JETPILOT

Here is the Racetech link.... I think they make the best seats.

http://www.racetechseatsna.com/

Putting in a 6 point cage makes the car unstreetable in my opinion. Too hard to get in and out. Same with a race set. What a *****.

A 4 point roll bar in my opinion is still streetable. A full cage would be too risky for street driving. Your head is too close in proximity to the side bar.

Don't forget some kind of HANS device for the track. wearing a helmet adds extra weigh increasing the risk for a basal skull fracture in certain accidents.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:22 PM
dmoffitt

Nevermind getting in and out - seats flex in an accident, even the best ones. Do you want to hit the roll hoop w/o a helmet?

... didn't think so. That was a big part of my taking the Z off the street, as much as it's TOTALLY "streetable" otherwise.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:00 AM
laze1

Yep, i just went thru this decision making process...

I purchased a used Kirk 4-point "bolt-in roll bar, and did a 'test-fit"....and it fits, but I do not! My head is WAY TOO CLOSE to the upper roof bar for use without a helmet. DAMN!

BTW: I am 6' 1", with a long torso, short Arms and Legs.....I sit "high" in the seat, and relatively close to the wheel on the track, back a little on the street.

I played with seat positioning and all that, but still not safe....I am trying to decide if it is worthwhile to only install this for Time Trial event,,,and take it out for DD-duty and HPDE....

But I am LaZe1, and this is too much work for me.......so I will likely just sell this one. Just like most posters, I am now trying to get the money to make this Z or some other car a "dedicated track car".....the only way to go if you are really driving fast....and want to be as safe as possible.

Quick Reply: Track Car Interior???