Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Sebring track event with Chin Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:12 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoevers going to spectate don't forget to bring a chair and some sunscreen it's going to be a hot one.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:04 AM
coachk
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry...are the small tent like things allowed ?
Old 10-03-2008, 11:57 AM
2fast4ya

Originally Posted by coachk
I will answer for him-i know he is busy getting his car ready, i have
brought my e-z up pop-up shelter and set it up at various parts of the
racetrack to spectate- i used to see more of them in the pits so the cars could pull under them in the hot pit lane but have not recently-i was
pulling my car under mine when i could not get a pit box(they fill up quick)
but found the extreme from the exhaust was catching the ground on fire
so i now pull the vehicle onto a concrete area to be safe.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:35 PM
JETPILOT

I just got back from my corner balance/alignment and I'm ready now for Sunday. Yes... pop up shelters are certainly allowed. I will have a garage in the hot pit so we will have shade all day. Maybe bring it just incase I don't get a garage you can still put it up and get some shade.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:53 PM
mario23

Have a great time Man. Warm it up for me!!!
I'm there next week with NASA.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:36 AM
PBLRacing

Great day yesterday. Just a bit of a sprinkle during one of the Group 1 sessions (when my son was driving) but the rest of the day was nice.

I installed a Stoptech BBK (332mm) kit for the weekend and didn't have a fade issue but had to deal with what I suspect was pad knock back from the fixed caliper/rotor setup.

I ran a 41.5 when I was there in May and managed to shave off that time this weekend. My best hand timed lap was a 39.5 and that included a slow down in 17 to wait for traffic. I suspect I might have had a better lap during the 3:30 session when I was chasing another Z (who I really hope was on R Compound tires). That was a fun session but I couldn't match his corner entry to exit speed on my street tires.

Hope Sunday went great for everyone. I couldn't hang around but I saw plenty of Zs on Saturday and know more were showing up on Sunday. Next Chin event we should try on have a lunch cookout at my RV.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:42 AM
radiologue

Do you guys bring your wife/girlfriend or is it a guys getaway from the wife for the weekend type of thing?

It's nice to include them in the weekend, but not all track sites are good for this scenario. Sebring is in the middle of nowhere, so the significant others do not tend to like going there if they are not into driving. Tracks like Road Atlanta, Barber Motorpsports and Roebling Road are adjacent to major cities and offer some alternative things to do.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:58 PM
JETPILOT

Knock Knock....

Who's there?

It aint CoachK! What happened Coach?

I had a helluva track day today! A little rain in the afternoon, but I had already gotten in about 2.5 hours of track time.

Blake Fuller was there and was a true gentleman. He came over and introduced himself and we had a nice conversation. He was drifitng down the starting line at about 80mph in the rain. Bad@ss!

We had a descent showing of 350Z's. I think 5 were there in all. The Enzo Ferrari was there and was spectacular. I did a few laps with him playing follow the leader and that car is unreal. The sound is sex! He didn't pull away from me on the long straight into 17. I was right there with him.

2fast4ya got signed off for Intermediate solo. Congrats Chris and some very nice driving today. You definetly drive your car harder than I do.

Fun times!

Last edited by JETPILOT; 10-05-2008 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Added Pic
Old 10-06-2008, 05:27 AM
PBLRacing

Default Things I learned yesterday

At the track on Saturday I was using the TPMS to monitor tire pressure on the track. I set the pressures using my air pressure gauge but just watched on the monitoring system to see if they were getting too hot. For some reason my RR tire kept building pressure according to the system faster than the RF. Didn't make sense and it wasn't reflected by actual readings taken by hand. I figured it was just a faulty sensor. Yesterday swapping pads back to street I found out it wasn't.

Seems my tire installer swapped my right side wheels during the install. I have the 225 tire installed on the 8.5" rear wheel (mounted up front) and the rear 245 tire is installed on the 8.0" front wheel.

Didn't notice anything on track but I can't believe I've been driving around since April with my tires mounted wrong!!

The other thing I learned was that I must have driven the last couple of sessions without rear brakes. I've tracked my Z several times and never had any rear pad issues. In fact I used my last set of rear pads for 4 track days. Before this weekend I installed new pads and bedded them in on Friday. When I swapped them out yesterday I found this....

Is this a common occurence when you switch to a BBK?
Old 10-06-2008, 05:33 AM
PBLRacing

The Enzo was sweet. The sound was pure excitement. The real question is, did the guy behind the wheel ever figure out how to drive the line? He was not very good/consistent (and I'm being kind) on Saturday.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:49 AM
2fast4ya

Originally Posted by PBLRacing
The Enzo was sweet. The sound was pure excitement. The real question is, did the guy behind the wheel ever figure out how to drive the line? He was not very good/consistent (and I'm being kind) on Saturday.
He passed me once in the straight coming up to the hairpin-there were
three other cars approaching the braking zone and he passed two of
them without point-bys and dove in between the front car and second one-not a very friendly move to make in group 1, i can understand
that in group 2- i am surprised he was not black flagged.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:23 AM
coachk
Banned

When I checked the weather report on weather.com they reported rain chances of 60%. My wife asked me if I was still going and I said I wasn't sure...well that was the wrong thing to say, because next thing I know she's got me painting and hanging stuff. By 1:00 I had such a headache, talked to JT for a while and took a BC powder and fell a sleep.

Sorry I flaked out, but there's always next time
Old 10-06-2008, 12:30 PM
2fast4ya

When I checked the weather report on weather.com they reported rain chances of 60%. My wife asked me if I was still going and I said I wasn't sure...well that was the wrong thing to say, because next thing I know she's got me painting and hanging stuff. By 1:00 I had such a headache, talked to JT for a while and took a BC powder and fell a sleep.

Sorry I flaked out, but there's always next time
i know i cannot afford to go back again until April 09, Dec event is too
soon. i figure it will give me some to make some more upgrades between
now and then-i can do auto-x and drag events in the period between
to tide me over, i might go and spectate in Dec. and i am trying to
go spectate and co-pilot at Road Atlanta in November. I heard there is
going to be a major auto-x event at Sebring 11/09/08 with Martin Sports
Car Club- it is a championship event that will feature a course of about
1.5 miles in length.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you guys had a great time!
Old 10-06-2008, 12:40 PM
z-u-later

Seems my tire installer swapped my right side wheels during the install. I have the 225 tire installed on the 8.5" rear wheel (mounted up front) and the rear 245 tire is installed on the 8.0" front wheel.
You didn't notice your tires when doing the brake swap?
Old 10-06-2008, 04:15 PM
l30thelion

Wow, 39.5 running street tires, that is awesome. I run R-Comps and the best I've been able to do is 39.9 back in June, I guess its all about seat time.

I've had a few really bad experiences w/ brakes on this car, mostly due to under-prepping.

Examples:

1. Ran Sebring w/ Hawk HPS+ pads (yes, I know this a no-no, now you tell me =)). Pads disintegrated, drove home from track w/ barely any pad material left....in the rain.

2. Ran Homestead w/ Porterfield R4s, rear pads died, brake fluid everywhere, caliper death. The metal part of the pads melted into the piston, it would not move at all it was crazy. A fellow Z driver drove home to bring me his extra set of rear calipers, we swapped em out at the track and all was good...he really saved my butt that day.

I upgraded my front brakes to 13" StopTechs w/ ST-43 pads and have run w/o issues. The pad/brake combo is amazing. Pad knockback isnt too much of an issue, I just pump gently a couple of times before each corner.

I'm headed to Sebring this weekend hoping to shave some time and move up to H4 where I'll be able to run in the Time Trials. Do you ever run NASA, there are a few really good Z drivers, they run in the 2:45's in TTC trim.

I installed a Stoptech BBK (332mm) kit for the weekend and didn't have a fade issue but had to deal with what I suspect was pad knock back from the fixed caliper/rotor setup.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:40 PM
PBLRacing

Originally Posted by z-u-later
You didn't notice your tires when doing the brake swap?

It is worse than that. I drove the last Chin event I did at Sebring (May or June) the same way.