Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Track Instructors: What communication devices do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:51 PM
mthreat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Instructors: What communication devices do you use?

I'm looking for some kind of communication headset to use for HPDE track event instructing so I can communicate with the student easier. Most instructors use a Nady PMC2X, and it seems to work okay. But there are several other products out there, including wireless & bluetooth ones, and I'd like to get a pretty good setup. Most of these are sold for motorcycle riders to communicate with their passenger or with other bikers, but they should work for my needs as well. My max price is about $250 for full setup including two headsets (passenger & driver). Any feedback on these products, or suggestions for other products is appreciated.

Here are the devices I've seen so far:

The Nady PMC2X - not wireless, but tried & true

BlueAnt bluetooth biker helmet kit - here's another link: http://www.myblueant.com/interphone-...-kit-video.htm

ChatterBox CB50 kit
Chatterbox has some bluetooth products as well

Cardo Motorcycle headsets - they have a few different models
Old 01-02-2009, 04:54 AM
bigdaddy

I use a Chatterbox. It has great battery life and has never let me down. It's also well within your budget.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:44 AM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I as well as most Instructors I know us the chatterbox:

http://www.discoveryparts.com/cgi-bi...communications

Cheap and works well!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:34 AM
mpowers

Chatterbox here too: only negative is open cockpit cars are almost impossible to hear each other due to the mic picking up all the back ground noise.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:52 AM
timsam

Chatterbox here too. Works great for me.
Plus most of the instructors Ive had already have this integrated into their helmet, so they just easily plug right in.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:02 PM
mthreat

Is that ChatterBox wired or wireless? I'd like to get a wireless one if possible (I know it'll cost more).
Old 01-02-2009, 07:08 PM
timsam

Mine's wired. The battery last me a whole weekend of DE...and thats with accidentially leaving it on in-between sessions.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Morris

I have had one instructor with a blue tooth set-up, and I have to say it was superior to all the different communication sets I have seen. Better sound, and being wireless was wonderful. I will email him and find out what he uses.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:47 PM
mthreat

Originally Posted by Morris
I have had one instructor with a blue tooth set-up, and I have to say it was superior to all the different communication sets I have seen. Better sound, and being wireless was wonderful. I will email him and find out what he uses.
Thanks I'd appreciate that. The BlueAnt looks like it does everything I want for a decent price. My only concern is mounting to the helmet - it has a pretty simple mount, but it requires either using a screwdriver for the clamp, or sticking on a piece of velcro on the helmet. For track events, ideally I want something that can be put in the helmet in 30 seconds or so.

The other thing I noticed is that the BlueAnt has ONE earphone, which is good for my purposes. Some of them have two earphones, which may be good for music, but not for quickly getting it in & out of the helmet.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Morris

Well, that is exactly what my instructor had. Here (below) is where he got it. In the morning, we attached the mount on my helment (and he attached another one on his other student's helment), and then before and after each session I just slide the ear piece out of the mount.

Send me your email, or better yet email me any questions at mlmorgan5@roadrunner.com, and I will forward them to him. He is a 350 driver, and a great guy, so I am sure he will gladly answer your questions.

Take care....

Blue Ant Interphone. Requires 2 units.
http://www.amazon.com/BlueAnt-InterP...043688&sr=8-12

Originally Posted by mthreat
Thanks I'd appreciate that. The BlueAnt looks like it does everything I want for a decent price. My only concern is mounting to the helmet - it has a pretty simple mount, but it requires either using a screwdriver for the clamp, or sticking on a piece of velcro on the helmet. For track events, ideally I want something that can be put in the helmet in 30 seconds or so.

The other thing I noticed is that the BlueAnt has ONE earphone, which is good for my purposes. Some of them have two earphones, which may be good for music, but not for quickly getting it in & out of the helmet.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:05 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I use a Chatterbox as well, but have thought about going wireless. I just worry about unshielded electronics killing the reception in one.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:35 PM
mthreat

Originally Posted by Morris
Well, that is exactly what my instructor had. Here (below) is where he got it. In the morning, we attached the mount on my helment (and he attached another one on his other student's helment), and then before and after each session I just slide the ear piece out of the mount.

Send me your email, or better yet email me any questions ... and I will forward them to him. He is a 350 driver, and a great guy, so I am sure he will gladly answer your questions.
Thanks! I'm sending you an email now...
Old 01-06-2009, 08:04 PM
mthreat

Update: After more research and a very helpful review from Morris's instructor friend, I'm convinced that the BlueAnt Interphone is the best device for the job. I'm ordering a set, and I'll post a review once I get a chance to try it out.

Here's the review from Morris's instructor:
Each unit consists of the following pieces:

1 earphone/microphone
1 transmitter/receiver
1 self stick helmet bracket
1 removable clip on helmet bracket
1 screw driver to tighten/loosen the removable clip on helmet bracket
1 spacer and 2 longer screws for using the clip on bracket on a thicker helmet
1 110 volt charger

The units are very well constructed. I used the stick on bracket for my helmet and the clip on brackets for student helmets. Until a student leaves with the bracket or breaks one, you are good to go with what you get because you will have 2 clip on brackets. The last bracket set I ordered from eBay was 19.95. I am considering using a kitchen 'chip clip' or suction cups the next time around. I mount the clip on brackets on my students helmets in the morning. Switching the unit back and forth is very quick as it clips on to the bracket. The clarity and volume is very good. The volume is individually adjustable and has a high and low range. I've never used the high range. The charge lasts about 3 or 4 hours of use. I have not had them go dead, but I do charge them every night. If they are getting a lot of use I will sometimes charge them over lunch just to be sure. I think a full charge takes about 2 hours.

The one feature they have that the wired units can't touch is no wires. Using them car to car is a hoot! As long as you stay within 100 yds or so you can talk to each other as if you are in the same car. Great fun for friends, and also for following a student and giving them real time feedback.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Fooshe

Originally Posted by bigdaddy
I use a Chatterbox. It has great battery life and has never let me down. It's also well within your budget.
I have to agree. Never let me down yet.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Billhyco

I just figure out why Morris said it worked soooooooo well... here is the product description..

Product Description
Now you can ride your motorcycle while you talk over your cellphone or talk to your passenger. You can even talk to another motorcycle rider within 450 feet range. Wireless, water-resistant and windproof, the BlueAnt Interphone Handsfree & Intercom can be used at up to 80mph

j/k Morris
Old 01-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Morris

Originally Posted by Billhyco
I just figure out why Morris said it worked soooooooo well... here is the product description..

Product Description
Now you can ride your motorcycle while you talk over your cellphone or talk to your passenger. You can even talk to another motorcycle rider within 450 feet range. Wireless, water-resistant and windproof, the BlueAnt Interphone Handsfree & Intercom can be used at up to 80mph

j/k Morris
Am I suppose to go over 80mph!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Billhyco

hahaha, that's like me saying "am I supposed to stay on the track!"
Old 01-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Morris

Originally Posted by Billhyco
hahaha, that's like me saying "am I supposed to stay on the track!"
lol
Old 01-26-2009, 09:28 PM
mthreat

I got a chance to use the BlueAnt headsets this weekend at the track. They worked out great for instructor-to-student communication. I didn't get a chance to test them out from car-to-car (they claim to work up to 490 feet apart). For track instructors, if you're willing to spend the $200 for these, I recommend them.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:48 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using the BlueAnt for about a year and I'm pretty impressed. I bought it because I had a regular student with a really loud Mustang and my chatterbox just wasn't cutting it for volume or clarity. It was recommended to me that the Blueant had great quality sound. And I can vouch for that. Good unit, good price. The only downside is a clunky pairing procedure that can't be really done fast if you are late for your student.

Last edited by zillinois; 02-06-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Track Instructors: What communication devices do you use?