Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

rEvolution Performance sponsored by Asphalt Ventures at VIR South (March 21-22)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:42 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Now that I have a minute, I wanted to talk about a few things that we learned at the Clinic. Morris, Kyle, Stacy, and anyone else that was there please correct or elaborate on anything that I say or didn’t say.

First the clinic went way beyond anything covered at 99% of HPDE’s, and even went beyond some of the items I see talked about a racing schools. We not only covered driving techniques, but also how to prepare yourself and increase your abilities to be aware beyond the car. The drills were designed to increase your awareness about the sights, sounds, and the items you feel in the car while at speed. We worked on spatial and speed awareness. We worked on creating a better feeling for what the car is doing, and even each wheel and component. We worked with partners to get comfortable with running close together completely around the track and how to run a track that you have never even been to.

Some of my favorite drills were drive the entire track at 7/10 or 8/10’s and other clinic participants with NO Brakes used. Driving 2 to 3 wide around the whole track and keep the distance between the same the whole time. We spent hours on the track demonstrating and experimenting with what we just learned and if nothing else it got me pushing everything outside of my comfort zone. I really think this will help me go to the next level.

Anything else others want to add?
Old 03-25-2009, 01:02 PM
warmmilk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a great day.

if i wanted to fly out for one of these (a hair to far to drive...), does anybody have any suggestions on where i can rent a car for an event like this?
Old 03-25-2009, 01:25 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

We are actually talking to Rent-a-racercar about providing rentals just for that. They have a few choices of vehicles from a Cages Nissan Sentra to a Supercharged Super Stalker.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:13 PM
warmmilk

that'd be awesome! make sure to post info when you get that set up. VIR is on my "must drive" track list, but taking my car there is a huge stretch.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Morris

First, I echo everything Marty said. Second, Chuck Hawks is a great presenter and teacher. Not to mention that he will get you to think about driving in ways that you can't image. However, the most impressive thing about his clinics (this was my second one) is the amount of seat time you get. I logged 470 track miles during the clinic. Compare that seat time to any DE! Caculate the $\per mile (in this case much less that a buck a mile) cost of this clinic and compare to the cost on a dollar per mile (or dollar per minute) cost of a DE and you will be astounded at how cheap the clinic was. Not to mention the time you get to spend with a Professional Driver and Instructor.

Originally Posted by mhoward1
Now that I have a minute, I wanted to talk about a few things that we learned at the Clinic. Morris, Kyle, Stacy, and anyone else that was there please correct or elaborate on anything that I say or didn’t say.

First the clinic went way beyond anything covered at 99% of HPDE’s, and even went beyond some of the items I see talked about a racing schools. We not only covered driving techniques, but also how to prepare yourself and increase your abilities to be aware beyond the car. The drills were designed to increase your awareness about the sights, sounds, and the items you feel in the car while at speed. We worked on spatial and speed awareness. We worked on creating a better feeling for what the car is doing, and even each wheel and component. We worked with partners to get comfortable with running close together completely around the track and how to run a track that you have never even been to.

Some of my favorite drills were drive the entire track at 7/10 or 8/10’s and other clinic participants with NO Brakes used. Driving 2 to 3 wide around the whole track and keep the distance between the same the whole time. We spent hours on the track demonstrating and experimenting with what we just learned and if nothing else it got me pushing everything outside of my comfort zone. I really think this will help me go to the next level.

Anything else others want to add?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Morris

Reserved, I am #156 above. Look us up at the North course event. We will be in one of the garages when not on track. We shoudl be easy to find.

Originally Posted by reserved
Nice pics!
Looking forward to the event on North course coming up
Old 03-25-2009, 05:23 PM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
Reserved, I am #156 above. Look us up at the North course event. We will be in one of the garages when not on track. We shoudl be easy to find.
Cool. See you there!
Old 03-25-2009, 07:37 PM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by Morris
I logged 470 track miles during the clinic.
damn, how many times did you fill up?
Old 03-26-2009, 04:27 AM
bigdaddy

A couple vids from the first session Sunday morning. I was doing a little lead/follow with two other BMW's. Morris has a cameo after the first time going around Oak Tree.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DEDqxLpjr4

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4SOUezY-fs

They are available in HD, so be sure to click that before you watch.

-Sean
Old 03-26-2009, 07:15 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by warmmilk
damn, how many times did you fill up?
Don't know how often they filled up ... but on VIR South Course, that equates to just over 293 Laps!!!
Old 03-26-2009, 07:42 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

I filled up 3 times, and went through 1 1/2 sets of pads...and I drive a freaking MIATA.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:56 AM
Morris

Sean, nice video. Wish you would have caught video of my track exit versus re-entry.

Warmmilk, not sure on fillups. The clinic was very busy, so I got gas whenever I had time, even if I did not need it yet. I got 7 something miles to the gallon.