Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

The Tire DB - Posts about Track and AutoX tire brands

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 06:55 AM
Ataru074

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use azenis 245/40R18 F and 255/40R18 R... it's the "cheapest" way to have tires and the setup is quite neutral on our cars... only concern are the pressures... I try to keep mine under 41 hot and I never had a problem with "greasy" tires (ok, just a little at the end of the session in hot days)

I have lmgt4 8.5 front and 9.5 rear.. I'm going to get another set of 9.5 for the front and switch to 275 all around later... but I'm working on increasing my entry speed into the corners and trail braking... so having a little less grip is welcome to learn to control the car.
also, the "economic" fact is.. if you have more grip you put more stress on the car.. hubs, bearing, bushings, brakes, suspension, differential... and is going to be another league of expenses just to maintain the car.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:08 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

alot of good info. I have been running street tires all year and looking for a set of R compound. Right know just autocrossing, hopefully next year road courses.
It looks like a 245/265 R compound combo is what people like. I was thinking on a 17 in rim or are you guys like 18 in rims. My idea was a 9.0F and 9.5R. My poor street tires are taking alot of abuse right now. How big of transition is it from street tires to R compound?
Old 08-08-2008, 07:22 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fear of oversteer is a mistake. A balanced tire setup on a 350Z is the best way to get started on the track because you need to learn about oversteer (cornering limit oversteer, not stab the throttle oversteer). A balanced tire size setup works best for the above and it also lets you rotate the tires so they last longer. 245s all around is my suggestion and its something I've done when I first start running the 350Z.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:58 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

any updates? I am torn between the 2 and hope you guys can clear it up for me
Old 08-08-2008, 09:44 AM
first350

I have the 615's on my Z, and have the RE-01R's on a 987 boxster...I love the RE-01R's - they seem to be grippier and easier to controll at the limits.

615's
Pros: cheaper and come in more sizes.
Cons: grip is good, but a notch below the RE-01R's. Grip appears to drop off more rapidly at the limit. Terrible in cold weather.

RE-01R's:
Pros: drip, handling at limit
Cons: cost, not too many sizes.

note: these are my impressions from autoXing...

Last edited by first350; 08-11-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:31 AM
shift-er

I have always been a big fan of the 615's....they are a great tire.

You cant go wrong with them, but i have no real experience with the RE's
Old 08-08-2008, 11:28 AM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Fear of oversteer is a mistake. A balanced tire setup on a 350Z is the best way to get started on the track because you need to learn about oversteer (cornering limit oversteer, not stab the throttle oversteer). A balanced tire size setup works best for the above and it also lets you rotate the tires so they last longer. 245s all around is my suggestion and its something I've done when I first start running the 350Z.
+1, gotta learn how to rotate a car through turns to turn fast laps.

street tires to R-compounds is a huge jump btw mw9, totally different car...it can handle so much more momentum through turns, its pretty hard to get used to it.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:41 PM
ke0ki2k

Kumho is releasing a new 180 treadwear tire fairly soon to replace the MX arent they? anybody that knows anything about Solo II knows that RE01R's dominate the Street Touring classes. theyre a much better tire than the Azeni time wise, but I doubt theyd be much more fun if youre just lapping.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:12 PM
mario23

How are you guys liking the 275 square setup on the track compared to staggered setups? I'm really considering this move but having last minute gitters
Old 08-08-2008, 06:26 PM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by mario23
How are you guys liking the 275 square setup on the track compared to staggered setups? I'm really considering this move but having last minute gitters
I only get understeer when I try to carry a bit too much speed without loading the front tires with the brakes...basically if I try to 'coast' through a mid-speed corner with a little engine braking and I dont kill off some momentum I get push...if I brake and load the front tires before turning in its neutral, if I get on the throttle when it pushes its oversteers just a tad then it settles down and is fairly neutral. mid-corner its almost perfectly neutral, love the feel with 275/35 streets non-staggered. Just got 285/30-18 V710's set up for my first autox on them this weekend, i'll let ya know how that goes.

Last edited by ke0ki2k; 08-08-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Fooshe

I have run them both and for the money, I like the Azenis. I didn't see them falling off at the limit as some have seen and I have run them higher speed tracks in 3 digit temps. I just didn't feel that the RE-01R's gave me more grip for the money. In fact, I thought they were almost the same. Now, the Toyo R888 and the Nitto NTO1's are a different story. The Nitto is just great once you put the right amount of heat in them. R888's are no slouch either.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Fooshe

Originally Posted by mw9
...My poor street tires are taking alot of abuse right now. How big of transition is it from street tires to R compound?

I would look at the difference this way:
Street tires = The $25 blow job behind the liquor store.
R Compounds = The $1,500 Vegas kissing call girl who stays the night and is so incredible that you are thinking of leaving your wife and giving her the house.

Or so I've heard...
Old 08-09-2008, 02:07 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Originally Posted by Ataru074
I use azenis 245/40R18 F and 255/40R18 R... it's the "cheapest" way to have tires and the setup is quite neutral on our cars.
+1 and my suggestion to get into the game.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:47 AM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by Fooshe
R Compounds = The $1,500 Vegas kissing call girl who stays the night and is so incredible that you are thinking of leaving your wife and giving her the house.

Or so I've heard...
roflcopter!!!
Old 08-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Shift__Z

Originally Posted by Fooshe

Or so I've heard...
ya...heard...

a lot of good info though guys nice...Ya I may actually go with a 245 all around now...hmmmm decisions, I was just worried about changing the stock feel to much because I was hoping to learn to drive the car as close to stock as I could with adding a slightly better grip. But yes on certain courses I can see how having 245s all around would be better. But the car stock already handles pretty well and I felt had a nice balance even with the bigger tires in back, Im just worried about changing that formula up to much. You know if its not broke dont fix kind of idea.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:08 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But the car stock already handles pretty well and I felt had a nice balance even with the bigger tires in back.
That's true at the typical 8/10ths max street driving. Its different when you start pushing 9 and 10/10ths on a race track and find that supposed "balance" is really biased towards understeer.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by Shift__Z
No the revup isnt sucking up oil. O 285 on a 10 inch wheel that makes sense I thought you were talking about stockies. No I need these tires for the stock wheels. I was looking for just a street performance tire, not R compounds. But yes I will be using these on the track. The reason I dont want to go with R compounds is because its going to be my first time on a track and I feel like R compounds are what you use to make yourself a faster driver, not a better driver. I just want a decent setup that will allow me to learn and make mistakes to learn from. From what Ive read it seems like 265 is the largest usable tire you can get away with on the stock 8.5 rear. Is that the best size to go with Idk? Thats why im asking. So again any suggestions for tire sizing is appreciated

245/40/18 Falken Azenis on all 4 corners. You can rotate the tires. They eliminate some understeer. They will not squirm like larger width tires on the same rims. Street/track. That seems to be what you were looking for.

For posting so little info about what you're looking for, and clearly not reading enough pre-OP, you don't have the room to talk trash to long term members as you have. The info is here, it's on ANY racing forum, ect.

Best of luck.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Fluid1

That's true at the typical 8/10ths max street driving. Its different when you start pushing 9 and 10/10ths on a race track and find that supposed "balance" is really biased towards understeer.
Or if your "throttle modulation" equates to power-induced oversteer
Old 08-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Shift__Z

Originally Posted by Fluid1
245/40/18 Falken Azenis on all 4 corners. You can rotate the tires. They eliminate some understeer. They will not squirm like larger width tires on the same rims. Street/track. That seems to be what you were looking for.

For posting so little info about what you're looking for, and clearly not reading enough pre-OP, you don't have the room to talk trash to long term members as you have. The info is here, it's on ANY racing forum, ect.

Best of luck.
Actually I did read a lot of threads before posting this...But you would know because you were at the desk with me

Either way I didnt see any trash talking...And I dont care if its someones first post or 300000 if your not going to be respectful and have some kind of etiquette than you dont deserve any in return. And I probably read about 10 threads a day and I would say a good number of them have members either flaming the OP or telling them to search, which seems kind of dumb if your going to post and know the answer then might as well leave something insightful instead of starting a flame war. Like you at least your first half was very helpful. You can think that I was trash talking when clearly even your peers agreed that the first response I got was very ******* like, so who started the trash talking? And I'm honestly surprised to see the negative responses to this thread I figured that were all Z/G owners we have that in common, but not only that but I want to race my Z just like everyone else here in this subforum. Like someone already pointed out Im not here asking which exhaust sounds better, whats the biggest tire i can fit in the rear, How can I install lambo doors, and i kind of figured this thread wouldnt end up with any kind of negative feedback, but still some members have ignored this and still have to be asses about it showing some kind of superiority (I have 20000 posts Ive been here for 3 years) attitude.

This thread was ment to see setups of other peoples tires on the stock wheels used in circuit racing. To help me get an idea of what other people have been using. And you mentioned that i could of gone to ANY racing forum and found the information. But again I was looking for specific examples that people have had first hand experience with, why would I go to ANY racing forum when theres a Z forum that even has a sub forum for track and autox racing?

Again thank you for giving an insightful input though I dont agree with your second half bashing, and in which you had to show your "I and other veteran members should be respected attitude because We've been here for so long ideology" If your going to throw rocks than prepare to have rocks thrown back, regardless of your status newb, vet, mod, ect.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Shift__Z

Ya Im probably going to go with a 245 all around seems so many of you have agreed it works out better on the track.

Quick Reply: The Tire DB - Posts about Track and AutoX tire brands