Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

350z STR Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:12 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so depressing to read all this.....makes it look like we all bought the wrong car.......even though it feels so good to drive.
If your car purchase was based solely on its Solo2 competitiveness, then yes, you bought the wrong car. SCCA does not guarantee every car will be competitive as classes. They only guarantee you'll have a place to compete with your car. Serious autocross competitors have no brand loyalty and will buy or build whatever car is the potential class winner.

Mazda has the best motorsports support program and should be the first brand to check out for those that want to win at the Nationals.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Clam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instead of creating a new thread, I thought I bump up this old thread on creating a STR build for the Z.

Everything is a work in progress for me in terms of skill level and car preparation. I have been competing in autocross for roughly 2 years now. Most of my experience comes from driving a 06 Acura RSX Type S that was well prepped for ST. I managed to finish this season as regional champion in ST, and have moved on to a Z to compete in STR next year.

This is what I have so far:
2008 Nissan 350Z Base Model
- 17x9 +22 Enkei RPF1's w/ 245/45/17 Kumho XS (I know 255 is the limit, but I wanted to re-learn the car with skinny tires before jumping to 255's. I started on skinny tires with the RSX and it helped smooth out my inputs when I jumped to the max tire limit)
- 350Evo Front Camber Arms
- Quaife Differential
- Motordyne Gamma Exhaust w/ Y-pipe

Alignment Specs:
F: -2.0 w/ 1/8 toe out, 34 PSI cold
R: -2.0 w/ 1/8 toe in, 34 PSI cold

Event Preparation:
- I always leave at least 1/2 tank of gas and spare to keep some weight in the rear (IMO, it helps with putting the power down upon corner exit)

Items that are a work in progress:
- Switching from FWD to RWD (I'm used to getting understeer under power with the RSX, but with the Z I get oversteer under power)
- Springs/shocks
- Weight reduction (Bolt-ons, Battery, Seats...etc, I removed roughly 50 lbs already with the wheel/tire combo and exhaust system)

Feedback on current set-up:
I did my first event today at a local BMW Autocross event on a miniature road course in STR trim. I had some trouble with the back end coming out a lot, but managed to counter steer accordingly as I gradually applied the throttle. I still need to work on controlling the throttle better. However, I managed to place 10th overall out of 44 drivers, and was 1.5 seconds behind a moderately STR-prepped BMW Z3 on a 40 second course.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-w4M3Fti50
To be honest, the BMW driver has the edge on me in terms of skill level and preparation so it was expected to have slower times than him. I also had instructors ride with me my first three runs to gauge my skill level and I had the tendency to brake too much and not look ahead enough.

My main focus for the rest of the year is to get as much seat time as possible to get used to the Z. Feel free to chime in on set-up as this is a work in progress for me.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:41 PM
guitarist

Originally Posted by Clam
Instead of creating a new thread, I thought I bump up this old thread on creating a STR build for the Z.

Everything is a work in progress for me in terms of skill level and car preparation. I have been competing in autocross for roughly 2 years now. Most of my experience comes from driving a 06 Acura RSX Type S that was well prepped for ST. I managed to finish this season as regional champion in ST, and have moved on to a Z to compete in STR next year.

This is what I have so far:
2008 Nissan 350Z Base Model
- 17x9 +22 Enkei RPF1's w/ 245/45/17 Kumho XS (I know 255 is the limit, but I wanted to re-learn the car with skinny tires before jumping to 255's. I started on skinny tires with the RSX and it helped smooth out my inputs when I jumped to the max tire limit)
- 350Evo Front Camber Arms
- Quaife Differential
- Motordyne Gamma Exhaust w/ Y-pipe

Alignment Specs:
F: -2.0 w/ 1/8 toe out, 34 PSI cold
R: -2.0 w/ 1/8 toe in, 34 PSI cold

Event Preparation:
- I always leave at least 1/2 tank of gas and spare to keep some weight in the rear (IMO, it helps with putting the power down upon corner exit)

Items that are a work in progress:
- Switching from FWD to RWD (I'm used to getting understeer under power with the RSX, but with the Z I get oversteer under power)
- Springs/shocks
- Weight reduction (Bolt-ons, Battery, Seats...etc, I removed roughly 50 lbs already with the wheel/tire combo and exhaust system)

Feedback on current set-up:
I did my first event today at a local BMW Autocross event on a miniature road course in STR trim. I had some trouble with the back end coming out a lot, but managed to counter steer accordingly as I gradually applied the throttle. I still need to work on controlling the throttle better. However, I managed to place 10th overall out of 44 drivers, and was 1.5 seconds behind a moderately STR-prepped BMW Z3 on a 40 second course.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-w4M3Fti50
To be honest, the BMW driver has the edge on me in terms of skill level and preparation so it was expected to have slower times than him. I also had instructors ride with me my first three runs to gauge my skill level and I had the tendency to brake too much and not look ahead enough.

My main focus for the rest of the year is to get as much seat time as possible to get used to the Z. Feel free to chime in on set-up as this is a work in progress for me.
I wish you the best of luck. These are very fun cars to drive in STR trim, so I'm sure you'll have fun. My car is fantastic...but it's easily 1-2 seconds per run off the pace of the MX-5s and S2Ks.

Admittedly, I left a fair bit of prep on the table, but spending $5k+ to get rid of maybe 80 lbs wasn't attractive to me, and the car already has too much power for the tire.

I focused on suspension setup to cure the Z's biggest weaknesses (front camber, spring rate, and good shocks to control the springs). IMO, you can use a LOT more negative camber up front than you're running. I was at -3.2 and my tires wore very evenly for autocross. I could maybe even have used 0.2 more.

For the rear, I'd actually back off the negative camber a little to improve corner exit traction. 1.7-1.8 is ideal, from my experience. More than that and you start to lose traction. Less and you lose cornering grip. Balance the car front to rear with spring rates if you need to, but I'd recommend my rates of 650 front/500 rear as a good starting point. Very little body roll, and probably enough rate in the rear to disconnect the rear bar for more traction, though I didn't get around to testing it.

If you go that high on springs (and you'll need to go that high or higher, imo) you'll want some quality shocks, preferably double adjustables valved for the rates you'll be running.

The reason I bailed is because in fast transitional elements (think 50 mph + offsets, very fast slaloms, etc) the car is simply too heavy to run at pace on a 255 tire. My car weighed 3107 in race trim (empty hatch area, 1/8 tank, stock battery, custom (light) exhaust, SSR Type C RS wheels). I could get another 80-100 lbs (tops) with headers, cats, battery, and seats, but even then I'd be 400ish lbs heavier than the S2Ks and 600ish than the MX-5s. My car was a 2003 enthusiast, so your 2008 is likely to be in the neighborhood of 200+ lbs heavier.

None of this is meant to rain on your parade; as I said at the beginning, these are ridiculously fun, good-handling cars in STR trim. Building one will turn it into a very fun autocross/street car. But just giving you my $0.02 from a year and a half's experience running the car.

I took it to the first national event that STR was allowed as a class (2009 Tri-State NT in Blytheville) and trophied with it, but only against an underprepped S2k and MX5. The S2K would have taken both trophy spots if the co-driver had been able to make it both days. I was well off the pace then, and all of the mods I could throw at the car wouldn't add up to the difference. And the S2Ks and MX-5s have gotten faster since then as they've figured out tunes and setup. For reference, the guy that used to co-drive my car just took 4th at nationals in DS, about 0.4 behind first. We traded wins when in the same car, typically within hundredths or thousandths of each other--not to boast or anything, but to give you an idea of where I'm coming from in terms of skill and pace. The car just isn't going to be a winner at the national level.

All of that said, the car is an STR killer in small lots. If you have lots of tight turns that require hard acceleration out, the Z is tough to beat because of its low-end torque. The S2ks and Miatas will have to downshift to first or lug second, while you can just hammer second and pick up lots of time. Smaller lots also minimize high-speed stuff where the weight really comes into play, so the Z doesn't lose time like it would on a bigger lot. If you're just running to win locally and you drive in a fairly small lot, you've picked the right car, imo. Again, good luck, and have fun
Old 09-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

FWIW. I run 285 XS's on the back of my BSP Z and found 30-33 psi hot to work well. Fronts (275) seem to like 38-41 psi hot.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:56 AM
Clam

Thanks for the pointers on setting up the Z for STR. I have a long way to go in terms of preparation. I don't expect to compete at a national level yet, but do plan to attend a few tours. My main focus is to try to win at a local level. My lot usually has mid to slow speed corners with inclines, so the low end torque should help the Z put some distance on the lighter less powerful cars. Out of all the cars I have driven at autocross, the Z is the funnest.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:18 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree that the front camber could be more, the rear less, and the delta between front and rear tire pressures at least 5psi (i.e. 32psi rear, 38psi front). Although I'm currently on 305 V710s (25RR, 30FR hot) and not a street tire, I have found this to be true for all tires I have autox'd on the Z. I have not driven on the MXs.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Clam

Default Build Update

After about 4 events under my belt with my STR Z, I like to offer some insight on my build and some improvements I made.

What I noticed about the Z:
-Has good corner exit speeds (low/mid-range torque really helps)
-Requires a lot of braking to enter corners

Changes I made to my set-up:
-Alignment F: -2.2 w/ 1/8 toe-out, R: -1.6 w/ 1/8 toe-in
-Tire pressures F: (35 cold/keep at 38 hot), R: (33 cold/keep at 33 hot)
-1/4 gas tank w/ spare/tools

Based on the changes I made, I was able to see a vast improvement in corner entry and corner exit. IMO, having a 1/4 tank w/ the spare/tools is the right amount of weight balance in the rear to be able to put power down while exiting corners and keeping the rear in place upon corner entry. However, the rear does feel "light" and oversteer occurs frequently upon throttle lift. I had a lot of close calls when the back end would step out when I would enter a turn too fast and lift up on the throttle.

I also found that the Kumho XS require a lot of heat to reach their optimum grip levels. In 60 degree weather, it would take me 3 runs back to back to get them up to their optimum grip levels. These tires would do great in the summer, but not too well in the fall/winter. In addition, these tires suck in the rain. When driving at 50% pace, these tires are scary in the wet. I would rather sit home and watch t.v. then take the car out in the rain w/ these tires

After a few more events, I'm thinking of ditching the XS and looking to get 255/40/17 Star Specs/RS3 or even AD08. I'm also planning to get a single exit exhaust to save some weight next year.

Last edited by Clam; 11-07-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Clam

2011 Season Update:

What's new:
-255/40/17 Hankook RS3
-Motordyne Single Gamma Exhaust (saved ~16 lbs by using a straight mid-pipe and dropping the passenger axle-back)
-Now have a co-driver for events to keep my tires warm
-Removed spare/tools from the rear and run with an 1/8 gas tank to save weight

I switched to the RS3's late last year, and like them a lot more than the XS in terms of grip on asphalt (i.e. parking lots). Even though they require a lot of heat to reach their optimum grip levels, they stick a lot better on bumpy/sandy surfaces than the XS.

Also, at my last local event, there were 15 drivers in STR which is the most amount of drivers in any class for my region. Looks like STR is getting pretty competitive this year. I placed 10 of 15 in a class full of MX-5's and S2000's that had upgraded springs/shocks/sways/diffs/wheels/tires. Considering that I'm still under-prepped for the class, I don't think I'm too far off the leader's pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58V_ymILBx8

I plan to attend the Houston National Tour at Royal Purple Raceway this year in March, so I have quite a long way to go in terms of preparation and skill level.

Next on my list:
-Springs/Shocks
Old 01-09-2011, 05:19 AM
rocketrich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clam, Thanks for bumping this thread.

I appreciate your updates on your Z running in STR. I made the switch last year and my first mod was converting the magnetic 'B' fro my 'BS" into an 'R' for 'STR'

After running my 2005 Z in BS with street tires for 5 years against others running on race rubber, I wanted to take the tire grip out of the equation to see how well I was doing against other drivers. I did upgrade to the Dunlop Star Specs and appreciate their improved grip. You've gone vastly further than I ever plan to go on modifications to be competitive in STR, so I'm very interested in how things go for you. The most lacking part in my current totally stock setup is the nut behind the wheel, so that is where I'm focusing my efforts for improvement.

My goals are a little different than yours -- ie more for fun than to be competitive and to minimize my investment beyond sticky street-legal tires. But I still want to be wringing out all the performance I can from my car in its stock configuration. So please keep posting about how you are doing against the Miatas and S2Ks as your info helps me understand where I am as well! Good luck and keep the updates flowing! Rich

Last edited by rocketrich; 01-09-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 AM
n8dog11914

Been reading over the posts and thought I would share since I've been getting into AutoX. I've been running in BSP (literally only b/c of an intake and springs that the previous owner installed) with NT555 rubber. Completely outgunned, but I'm just starting out so it's all good. Even in the Atlanta region, it seems their isn't many competitors in BSP so I just go out there and have fun. Interesting to see some of you guys going in STR as I have yet to see a Z run with the Miatas, S2Ks, and what not.

I'm hoping the 350s can get moved into CSP after the stock Zs went to C last year. Will be interesting to see if that happens. Any reason why it already hasn't?
Old 01-09-2011, 10:31 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't want any part of CSP either....I was all for the evo's getting bumped to ASP, but can understand why they weren't. I think had the evo's been bumped it could have revived BSP a bit. Only my opinion though.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Clam

Originally Posted by rocketrich
I appreciate your updates on your Z running in STR. I made the switch last year and my first mod was converting the magnetic 'B' fro my 'BS" into an 'R' for 'STR'

After running my 2005 Z in BS with street tires for 5 years against others running on race rubber, I wanted to take the tire grip out of the equation to see how well I was doing against other drivers. I did upgrade to the Dunlop Star Specs and appreciate their improved grip. You've gone vastly further than I ever plan to go on modifications to be competitive in STR, so I'm very interested in how things go for you. The most lacking part in my current totally stock setup is the nut behind the wheel, so that is where I'm focusing my efforts for improvement.

My goals are a little different than yours -- ie more for fun than to be competitive and to minimize my investment beyond sticky street-legal tires. But I still want to be wringing out all the performance I can from my car in its stock configuration. So please keep posting about how you are doing against the Miatas and S2Ks as your info helps me understand where I am as well! Good luck and keep the updates flowing! Rich
Rich, it's good to see another Z participating in STR. The Z is indeed a fun car to drive in autocross

I'll keep posting updates/feedbacks on my build as I attend more events.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:54 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I don't want any part of CSP either....I was all for the evo's getting bumped to ASP, but can understand why they weren't. I think had the evo's been bumped it could have revived BSP a bit. Only my opinion though.
I wrote my letter to move the 350Z to ESP.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:34 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by PDX_Racer
I wrote my letter to move the 350Z to ESP.
I like that idea quite a bit. D.C. region has good competition within ESP......BSP not so much.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Clam

Default Houston National Tour 2011

I attended my first National Tour in Houston this past weekend, just to see how it's like and gauge where my skill level is at.

A day before the event started, the National Tour was offering an Evolution Driving School for tour participants. I decided to attend the school to brush up on some techniques and correct some bad habits. The school was a condensed version of their Phase I driving school, which consisted of 10 total runs, with every two runs alternating between student and instructor.

To sum it up, the instructor commented that I needed to look ahead more, be patient with the throttle, and use more throttle modulation to control the back end. These were some good pointers, but tough to master without some serious seat time. It took me 4 runs to match my instructor's time (24.9 seconds) on the small autocross course, and another 2 runs for me to get down to 24.6 seconds.

As for the National Tour, it was quite an experience. The site was a long and narrow parking lot, with grip levels similar to HPT (so I heard). The courses for both days were very tight and technical.

Day 1

The course had a little sweeper in the beginning, followed by a wall of cones, slalom, big sweeper, and offsets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_oDklAEc3I
This was one of the toughest course I ever driven because there was very little margin for error, and car placement was crucial in putting the power down. I struggled with car placement, and couldn't get on the gas as much as I wanted to without going wide, or smoking my rear tires. I trailed ~4 seconds off the leader's pace in STR, and was sitting in last place

Day 2

I thought the course couldn't get any tougher, but I was wrong. The second course was even tighter and more technical.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i32ZBDwl7mY
The beginning was the same as Day 1, but the wall of cones was changed a bit to allow a slight opening through them. This allowed drivers to go flat out through the wall of cones, if they managed to line up correctly. I was off entering the wall of cones, and had to lift half way through to correct my line. Everything else in the middle was sloppy due to poor car placement, and too much throttle. However, I managed to go flat out towards the finish and topped out second gear at 67 MPH

I did better on Day 2 and actually beat a Miata and S2K for a change. This moved me up a spot, and made me feel a little better as I was the fastest non MX-5/Miata/MR2/S2K driver in STR

Based on the tour, I'll still autocross with the Z, but it sure is a tough hill to climb to try and compete in STR.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:10 PM
rocketrich

Clam, Hey you made progress from day 1 to day 2-->that's good. You did a much better showing for the Z in STR than I did yesterday. Luckily a much better driver in his Z held up our reputation in the class. He came in 3rd behind an mx-5 and a Z-4. I -ahem- helped shored up the rear of the formation - not dead last, but results are still preliminary . The Philly region here did a dry run at Dover Speedway, where they'll be holding the national tour in June. I will hopefully be much better prepared in a few more months.

Keep plugging away! There are more bragging rights by being in the underdog car when you do beat them!! Rich
Old 03-21-2011, 03:58 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

I'll be in Dover for the June NT as canon fodder in BSP. Couldn't make it yesterday.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Clam

I appreciate your comments Rich. Competing as an underdog is quite a challenge. I still have a long way to go, and definitely need some work on the driver mod.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Clam

I just had an event today, and did pretty well as this was the first time I drove on a course where I can put a lot of power down

I ran in the Double Pax in the morning, so I was the lucky one to sweep the course of seagulls, and seagull droppings, which were scattered across the course (Note: Site is 10 miles from the beach ).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g6_X..._order&list=UL
The first few runs were a nightmare, as the seagull crap was like driving on patches of wet gravel. But as the course cleared, I was able to put some decent times down and got down to a 70.413, which was roughly 2 seconds behind a nearly fully prepped MR2 Spyder who was in the Double Pax with me. Two seconds may seem much, but my raw time would have taken 2nd place in STR if I ran in the second heat with all the other STR drivers (1st Place was the MR2's co-driver, who ran a 69.405!)

I think the pointers I picked up in the Evolution School helped quite a bit for this event as I was able to look ahead more, establish reference points, and steer with the rear. If there are going to be more courses this season similar to what I drove today, then there may be some hope for the Z.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:29 PM
rocketrich

Clam, That's a pretty sweet course! So see the Z can be competitive, you'd have taken 2nd. I think I need to take an Evo course too! I've got a double header this weekend and hope I can redeem myself from my first outing of the year. Don't give up hope! Keep competing and I think you'll surprise yourself! Rich

Quick Reply: 350z STR Build