Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

spoiler? or wing? suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 05:30 PM
RED RIDER

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default spoiler? or wing? suggestions?

Just got back yesterday from the BBORR and thought
I would ask for your opinions. If you click the first link you will see several pics of my car at 130mph+. Looking at the attitude of the car at speed, it really doesn't look like the rear would be loose....I know loose is relative and while driving I never nearly lost it or anything like that, however i think I need some downforce in the rear and then maybe will need some adjustable camber arms to compensate and it will handle better. It did feel "light" in the rear at speed...I am happy to say the shine amuse kit held up to speeds approaching 140 with no problem...so what do you racers think? Spoiler or wing? and what would you suggest?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredi...MUg&feat=email

Old 04-27-2010, 07:41 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like you're racing in a straight line. If so, drag is far more important then downforce so a wing or a spoiler would slow you down.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:07 AM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Front aero is going to be your better bet at those speeds.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:42 AM
06platinumG

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Red Rider, I presume you were running in one of the GT classes with a tech speed of 140. Since most of the course is high speed you don’t want to create a lot of drag. I would just add the factory Nismo wing to get a little more down force without a lot of drag. That should make you a little more stable in the high speed sweepers.
How did you do?
Old 04-27-2010, 07:52 PM
RED RIDER

Originally Posted by 06platinumG
Red Rider, I presume you were running in one of the GT classes with a tech speed of 140. Since most of the course is high speed you don’t want to create a lot of drag. I would just add the factory Nismo wing to get a little more down force without a lot of drag. That should make you a little more stable in the high speed sweepers.
How did you do?
Thanks..yes tech was 140...my 3rd year in a row to race...Yeah I agree I do not want any drag just need a little downforce in the back so it doesn't feel loose...I'll look into the factory nismo wing..thanks! Last year I got 3rd in that class....@ 1.3 seconds fast...this year the freakin wind was blowing 35-40 mph sideways across the road so i drove conservatively on the SB leg hoping it would calm down a little for the afternoon NB run....I drove my *** off NB but there was a crash (corvette) that ended up allowing cattle on the road causing enough delays that 50+ cars didn't even get to run north. So they used our SB run for awards! Sucked for me because I was 12 SECONDS slow! LMAO... After the north run i was within 2 seconds and though I would place! LOL Ah well...there's always next year!

ADMAN...I got it covered..

beta..there are 59 curves, sweepers etc..each way in the race.

Last edited by RED RIDER; 04-27-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:12 PM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any idea how the vette crashed?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:48 PM
idrive_MD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want more downforce without adding too much drag add the oem rear lip, a blitz style rear lip or one of the nismo wings...then add or build a simple rear lower diffuser. make it yourself out of wood and then get it made by a local metal shop out of aluminum.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

beta is right: you want to reduce your overall drag

there are a couple of ways you can do this:

1. since wheels attribute to alot of drag due to the turbulence in air flow, get that rear and front wheel sucked into the fender wells, it might look nasty, but with those large wide tires sticking out im sure you can pick up some speed there. if you dont want to do that.. check out Final Flag rear wheel coverings.. i think this would help deflect air flow that is infront of your rear wheels.

2. as much as i love the amuse front, i think your best bet would be to get a longer nose and longer tail, as to stream line the airflow over the whole car.. think the v3 nismo kit would work best. the rear of the v3 sorta has a built in rear diffuser...
3. if you dont want the rear piece, i'd probably slice that rear bumper off right under the reverse lights.. and let it be open. if you dont have your factory-shaped muffler, that rear bumper will just catch air.. you can help with a plywood/aluminum rear diffuser at a 6 degree incline from the pumpkin back, but if you can i'd just cut off a section of that rear bumper so the air flow from the rear tires can escape.
4. cut weight. lighter weight tires and lighter rotors will help with rotational mass for more power
Old 04-29-2010, 05:43 AM
RED RIDER

Great responses guys..thanks!

The vette driver said as he was approaching the right sweeper he felt the rear of the car get "mushy"...meaning he thought he had a tire going low, like it had picked up something...next thing he knew the rear was coming around with no way to stop it...he shifted into neutral and held on for dear life, spinning a few times before sliding off the road backwards into the trees and fence..Thank God he had just had a cage installed and he and his wife were wearing hans devices! He was @ 140mph+ when this happened....