Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

F1 revives US Grand Prix in 2012 in Austin, Texas

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:41 AM
z-u-later

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350ZTheStandard
no land purchased & the 600 are site is very small for a 3 mile + F1 track
What makes you an expert in designing an F1 track? Have you heard of the Monaco Grand Prix? Do some research and find out how big an area they're using for their 2.075 mile circuit. The race circuit has many elevation changes, tight corners, and a narrow course that makes it one of the most demanding tracks in Formula One racing.

Triple Formula One champion Nelson Piquet was fond of saying that racing at Monaco was "like trying to cycle round your living room", but added that "a win here was worth two anywhere else".
Old 05-27-2010, 12:35 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Monaco while a very exciting track is a legacy track, no land available to expand or redesign. I too enjoy the Monaco GP but, the drivers constsantly whine about the lack of safe passing spots & this years with the new teams they worried the backmarkers and the REAL possibility of them wrecking out the race leaders. F1 in the modern day has "more modern SAFETY" requirements that are not open to negotiaion, as required by the F1 racing drivers association. I too love F1 and not just for 2 weeks now either. I would love to see this happen, trust me. I will just have to believe it when & if I see it happen.

F1: Austin Promoter Still Looking For Site
A site has not yet been named for the US Grand Prix coming to Austin, Texas in 2012...

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...-monaco-chaos/

F1: Teams Accused Of Wanting Monaco ‘Chaos’
Formula One team bosses voted down a drivers' proposal to split Q1 qualifying in Monaco...

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...tra-challenge/

F1: Alonso - Monaco Traffic Just An ‘Extra Challenge’
Fernando Alonso isn't particularly worried about the problems that slower cars could cause on the street course in Monaco...

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...co-a-disaster/

F1: Hamilton - Backmarkers To Make Monaco ‘Disaster’
Lewis Hamilton worries that slower cars could give the pacesetters problems this weekend in the Monaco Grand Prix...

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...king-for-site/
Old 05-28-2010, 12:42 PM
cubic202

Two words: Long Beach.

Bernie screwed up when he and the circus left Long Beach. Detroit, phoenix and Indy have all been jokes. I was at the 2000 US GP and while the track was amazing the atmosphere was lacking. A move back to the west coast would capture all that is needed for F1 to be successful in the US; a good track held in a metro area allowing not only die-hard F1 fans to view the race but regular Joes from all over the state. A cosmopolitan city so all can root for their favorite international sponsor, I mean team and lastly all the flash celebs you can fill in a tea-cup. Hollywood and Beverly Hills are a stones throw from Long Beach and the world would be fixated to their TVs to get a glimpse of our infamous international ambassadors; the cast from the Hills, Tom Cruise and the rest of the Hollywood elite walking around the Ferraris and Renaults. For F1 to capitalize on a US presence it needs not just focus on the track but the spectacle that is F1 and glamorous Austin aint gonna cut it.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:36 PM
jgotti

anyone hear any updates on this lately? I don't live too terribly far from Austin and I'd be ridiculously pumped to get see an F1 race live especially if the track design is sweet and allows for the excitement that only F1 can deliver.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:02 PM
arsey51

Good luck and I hope it happens, but i'm hearing some things about not everyone being onboard for this. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a money and time waster.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:09 AM
RedRaider_Z

Here is the track layout!

http://formula1unitedstates.com/imag...wElevation.pdf