Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Brembo / Track conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:31 AM
guitarist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PDX_Racer
Just remember that ice mode simply cuts off the brake booster. What used to take 5 lbs of pressure on the pedal may now take nearly 100 lbs.

Personally, I don't mind ice mode, but then again I'm used to driving formula cars with zero brake boost -- so rather than 8 oz. of pressure difference to "unlock" the front tires in a skid, it's more like 10 lbs of pressure difference.
Well, I was applying somewhere close to 300lbs of pressure in that video. First I had my left foot at full force (I'm not a small guy), then I pumped the brakes once and pressed all-out with both feet, one on top of the other. It doesn't take anywhere near that much effort to stand up from the floor, and I weigh 220lbs. With both feet pressing, it may have been double that or more.

I actually checked the brake pedal after to make sure I hadn't bent it, I was pressing so hard.

-----

Anyway, to somewhat discontinue the thread-jack--OP, please post up your progress and results as you build the car for STR. I'm planning on selling my car soon, but I've been planning on it for about 8 months now, too. Just can't seem to let go of it, even though it does occasionally bite me on the ***. It just handles so well now that I have it setup (suspension-wise, at least).
Old 06-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Autoxr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if you plan on selling any parts, let me know. =)
Old 06-30-2010, 12:17 PM
guitarist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Autoxr
Well, if you plan on selling any parts, let me know. =)
If (when) I sell the car, I'll likely put it back to stock. I'd prefer to sell the whole setup as a group, but I could also sell some of the parts if the price is right (i.e. fair, not crazy).

Here's the highlights of what's on the car in case you're interested:

4x 17x8.5 SSR Type C-RS (0.5" under the max, but close enough, and very light, i.e. ~16 lbs). They have some near-end-of-life Kumho XSs on them that would be fine for local autocross, but are a bit low on tread depth for rain on the street, especially with stiff springs/lots of camber. And XSs just suck in the wet anyway.

Koni Truechoice Phase IV double-adjustable/shortened/revalved shocks (front) with 650lb Hyperco springs/adjustable coilover sleeves.

Koni Sport (yellow) single-adjustable shocks (rear) with adjustable perches and 500lb (I think they're Eibach?) springs in stock location (non-coilover).

SPL v.2 adjustable upper A-arms (you'll need to fab your own bushing ends for the A-arms, as the sphericals that come with them aren't STR legal) with all shims/parts.

And some other bits and pieces I can't think of now. If you buy it as a package, I'd be glad to give you my setup details as well, which should give a solid baseline to work from to set it up for your taste. I like a very neutral car, tending toward slight but progressive oversteer, and it does that very nicely.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:45 AM
Autoxr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested to hear how you chose that suspension setup.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:05 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by plumpzz
I beg to differ on Zenhaussens findings. When i upgraded from the teeny weenie single piston sliding calpiers to 6 piston 13'' BBK with race pads, even cold and short stops were shorter and more consistant.
Same pads? Anything quantifiable in your study?