Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Objections to Kumho Ecsta XS?

Old 07-03-2010, 04:49 AM
  #1  
GWord256
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cleburne, TX
Posts: 464
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Objections to Kumho Ecsta XS?

Has anyone run with a set of Ecsta XS's and had any objection to them: chunking, uneven wear, waering to quick, etc...

Has anyone measured the actual tread width and compared it to the advertised width?
GWord256 is offline  
Old 07-03-2010, 06:23 AM
  #2  
Ataru074
Registered User
iTrader: (19)
 
Ataru074's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 1,395
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I had it... nice tire, tons of grip, really close to my actual nitto NT-01. no wear issue (besides front inside from using a quite open toe).
they start losing grip quickly toward the end of the thread.
Ataru074 is offline  
Old 07-03-2010, 09:00 AM
  #3  
davidv
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 42,793
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

EDIT: Just noticed this is in the Autocross/Road forum. Not a suitable tire.

Last edited by davidv; 07-03-2010 at 09:07 AM.
davidv is offline  
Old 07-03-2010, 11:14 AM
  #4  
GWord256
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cleburne, TX
Posts: 464
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by davidv View Post
EDIT: Just noticed this is in the Autocross/Road forum. Not a suitable tire.
Care to elaborate?
GWord256 is offline  
Old 07-03-2010, 01:32 PM
  #5  
BPRacer
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 158
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I've used them for many track events and auto crosses and have loved them! Won RTA Nashville on them and 2nd at CMP, and ran lap times at Road Atlanta quite close to my (admittedly pretty worn) Hoosier R6's even though they are now down to barely visible tread (same set as the other races I mentioned). Wear has been relatively fantastic, no chunking, pretty good dual-use street tire too. But they are teh suck in rain! Just so ya know.
BPRacer is offline  
Old 07-03-2010, 01:40 PM
  #6  
Z1NONLY
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Z1NONLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SW Fl
Posts: 6,691
Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

I am on my 4th set and I like them a lot. (-when they are warm and on dry pavement.)

The lateral grip is awesome and they wear ok. (for an "extreme" street tire)

When cold or wet, they are not so great.

When cold and wet, just park the car....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SAFXE60mrng&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SAFXE60mrng&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Z1NONLY is offline  
Old 07-03-2010, 02:47 PM
  #7  
GWord256
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cleburne, TX
Posts: 464
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY View Post
I am on my 4th set and I like them a lot. (-when they are warm and on dry pavement.)

The lateral grip is awesome and they wear ok. (for an "extreme" street tire)

When cold or wet, they are not so great.

When cold and wet, just park the car....
Thats good news/info. I still have my stockie rims with corded tires on and a set of race rims. I had planned on doing some research to see what'll work best for rain rubber.

Oh, and what camera do you have there?
GWord256 is offline  
Old 07-03-2010, 04:02 PM
  #8  
Z1NONLY
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Z1NONLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SW Fl
Posts: 6,691
Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GWord256 View Post
Thats good news/info. I still have my stockie rims with corded tires on and a set of race rims. I had planned on doing some research to see what'll work best for rain rubber.

Oh, and what camera do you have there?
It's just a Panasonic PV-GS39 camcorder mounted on a $50 cruisecam headrest mount.

I actually parked my car after the second run and borrowed a friend's C-stock RX-8 on star specs.

I was 10 seconds faster, on my first run, in the RX-8. In my Z, I'm about .75 seconds faster than the RX-8 on our 31-32 second test and tune course. (When it's dry, and we are both on our street tires.)
Z1NONLY is offline  
Old 07-04-2010, 06:11 AM
  #9  
G4nismo
Registered User
iTrader: (8)
 
G4nismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 1,672
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY View Post
I am on my 4th set and I like them a lot. (-when they are warm and on dry pavement.)

The lateral grip is awesome and they wear ok. (for an "extreme" street tire)

When cold or wet, they are not so great.

When cold and wet, just park the car....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SAFXE60mrng&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SAFXE60mrng&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
never autocrossed in the rain before but that looked hella fun and intense!
G4nismo is offline  
Old 07-04-2010, 06:57 AM
  #10  
guitarist
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Little Rock
Posts: 180
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GWord256 View Post
Thats good news/info. I still have my stockie rims with corded tires on and a set of race rims. I had planned on doing some research to see what'll work best for rain rubber.

Oh, and what camera do you have there?
If you're looking for good street/autocross tires that are in the same price range as the XS and still good (very good, really) in the wet: get the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs. I've autocrossed them on a number of cars from E36 M3s to Evo Xs on both pavement and concrete and always liked the way they felt, gripped, and handled.

Another good camera to look at is the Panasonic Lumix FP2--this video (in 720p) was taken with one, and they're ~$180 at Best Buy and similar places. Toss in a Cruise Cam mount and you're good to go for a smidge over $200. Keep in mind that video has also been down-converted once by me and again by YouTube. The original looks even better.
guitarist is offline  
Old 07-04-2010, 07:08 AM
  #11  
GWord256
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cleburne, TX
Posts: 464
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I currently have the Star Specs and without a doubt they are a good tire. But I'm trying out the competition.

I ordered the cruisecam mount yesterday. Right now I have a Go Pro Hero but the quiality just isn't there.
GWord256 is offline  
Old 07-04-2010, 07:17 AM
  #12  
Z1NONLY
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Z1NONLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SW Fl
Posts: 6,691
Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GWord256 View Post
I currently have the Star Specs and without a doubt they are a good tire. But I'm trying out the competition.

I ordered the cruisecam mount yesterday. Right now I have a Go Pro Hero but the quiality just isn't there.
The new 615 K's look promising. Maybe you could be the guinea pig.
Z1NONLY is offline  
Old 07-04-2010, 07:25 AM
  #13  
GWord256
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cleburne, TX
Posts: 464
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY View Post
The new 615 K's look promising. Maybe you could be the guinea pig.
Those didn't make my list. Who makes them and do they make a 255/35R18 and 275/35R18?
GWord256 is offline  
Old 07-04-2010, 07:35 AM
  #14  
Z1NONLY
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Z1NONLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SW Fl
Posts: 6,691
Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GWord256 View Post
Those didn't make my list. Who makes them and do they make a 255/35R18 and 275/35R18?

They are Falken Azenis rt-615k. And it looks like they don't come in 255/35/18. They do offer the 275/35 18's though.

The 615 used to be one of the more popular street tires way back when, but they got passed by the competition and seemed to disappear. (I can't remember the last time I saw a set of 615's at the track.)

This new "k" version is a new compound that Falken says is much better.
Z1NONLY is offline  
Old 07-04-2010, 08:35 AM
  #15  
guitarist
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Little Rock
Posts: 180
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GWord256 View Post
I currently have the Star Specs and without a doubt they are a good tire. But I'm trying out the competition.

I ordered the cruisecam mount yesterday. Right now I have a Go Pro Hero but the quiality just isn't there.
Well, I have the XSs too, and the Star Specs are way better, imo.

The Hankook R-S3s are also worth a hard look, from what I've heard.

I'll have to look into the 615Ks, as I hadn't head Falken had a new compound out.
guitarist is offline  
Old 07-04-2010, 08:44 AM
  #16  
Z1NONLY
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Z1NONLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SW Fl
Posts: 6,691
Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by guitarist View Post
Well, I have the XSs too, and the Star Specs are way better, imo.
At the 2008 State Championship, I had star specs on the front and XS's on the back. The car would start with a little oversteer and end with little understeer.

Star specs are better "out of the box" which is great for autocrossing, but the XS seem to be on par when they heat up. It seems to take more to over heat the XS. But my experience with star specs on my car is limited to one pair. All my other experience with them was on other people's cars.
Z1NONLY is offline  
Old 07-04-2010, 02:49 PM
  #17  
mw9
Registered User
iTrader: (51)
 
mw9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: cincinnati
Posts: 2,405
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by guitarist View Post
If you're looking for good street/autocross tires that are in the same price range as the XS and still good (very good, really) in the wet: get the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs. I've autocrossed them on a number of cars from E36 M3s to Evo Xs on both pavement and concrete and always liked the way they felt, gripped, and handled.

Another good camera to look at is the Panasonic Lumix FP2--this video (in 720p) was taken with one, and they're ~$180 at Best Buy and similar places. Toss in a Cruise Cam mount and you're good to go for a smidge over $200. Keep in mind that video has also been down-converted once by me and again by YouTube. The original looks even better.
nice video, I will have to check this camera out
mw9 is offline  
Old 07-04-2010, 11:28 PM
  #18  
guitarist
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Little Rock
Posts: 180
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY View Post
At the 2008 State Championship, I had star specs on the front and XS's on the back. The car would start with a little oversteer and end with little understeer.

Star specs are better "out of the box" which is great for autocrossing, but the XS seem to be on par when they heat up. It seems to take more to over heat the XS. But my experience with star specs on my car is limited to one pair. All my other experience with them was on other people's cars.
You're spot on about the heat: the XSs like more of it, work better once they're hot, and resist heat better as well. The Star Specs, on the other hand, are better on the first run, work better in colder temps, and can be sprayed with water like R-comps when it gets too hot (or when they get too hot). I haven't found a way to make the XS work better in the cold/wet, while spraying the Star Specs makes them work fine in the heat.
guitarist is offline  
Old 07-05-2010, 06:15 AM
  #19  
Z1NONLY
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Z1NONLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SW Fl
Posts: 6,691
Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by guitarist View Post
You're spot on about the heat: the XSs like more of it, work better once they're hot, and resist heat better as well. The Star Specs, on the other hand, are better on the first run, work better in colder temps, and can be sprayed with water like R-comps when it gets too hot (or when they get too hot). I haven't found a way to make the XS work better in the cold/wet, while spraying the Star Specs makes them work fine in the heat.

Co-driver is the only idea I have come up with. (I'm still trying to talk my wife into co-driving at this year's state championship.)
Z1NONLY is offline  
Old 07-05-2010, 11:28 AM
  #20  
Zazz93
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Zazz93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,768
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Here's a article from Grassroot's, http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/art...-tires-part-1/

I think they have another test with a heavier car (BMW) but these should help to give you an ideal.
Zazz93 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Objections to Kumho Ecsta XS?


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: