Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

DWS/All-Seasons for Autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 12:56 PM
joliuxsi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DWS/All-Seasons for Autocross?

Let me start by saying that I did my first auto-x yesterday and it was a blast! I definitely will be going again next Saturday to try and improve my time.

Recently, my factory bridgestone summers are worn down and currently are low on tread. Since winter is just a few months away and with occasional snow, I was looking at the Continental DWS all-season tires which have gotten great reviews for wet traction handling. However, they are not known for handling the best on dry pavement compared to other tires.

For the daily driver and occasional auto-x car, should I go with the DWS, or keep buying summer tires?
Old 07-04-2010, 01:27 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulations.

You will have to compromise. I like all-season tires. All-season tires are precarious for autocross. Not a big deal. You will learn a lot about throttle control.

Last edited by davidv; 07-04-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:02 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

My bad for not giving you a ride on Sat. I am not sure if I will be in Woodbridge this weekend, but I will be in Winchester on the 17th. If you want.....you can ride with me. Results are posted on the CDC website in the forum area if you are not sure what your final time was or how others did.

I run Dunlop Star Specs on my car, and they are great.....though not suitable for winter weather.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:13 PM
06platinumG

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Well you’ve got the bug now. Each time you go out you will want to be more competitive and that means a good set of performance tires (Star Spec, RE11 or AD08). None of those are good winter tires, so the best thing to do is a second set of wheels with winter tires that you can put on at the end of the season.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:02 AM
bigcloud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know there was a CDC group here. I race with the BMW NCCA folks. I might have to start racing here as well to get my autocross fix. Anyone going to trackdaze this month?
Old 07-06-2010, 02:51 PM
guitarist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have the budget for a second set of wheels + two sets of tires, I like the Kumho ASX. Nowhere near summer grip, but very progressive and easy to drive with decent grip, and great all-weather performance (though they suck in snow, like pretty much everything else).
Old 07-06-2010, 03:07 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcloud
I didn't know there was a CDC group here. I race with the BMW NCCA folks. I might have to start racing here as well to get my autocross fix. Anyone going to trackdaze this month?
Come on out....the more the merrier. I won't be doing another track day until FATT at Summit Main on Aug 20th.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:28 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarist
If you don't have the budget for a second set of wheels + two sets of tires, I like the Kumho ASX. Nowhere near summer grip, but very progressive and easy to drive with decent grip, and great all-weather performance (though they suck in snow, like pretty much everything else).
+1 on the Kumho ASXs. When newer, they're pretty good in the dry or wet.

As far as "sucks in snow" -- I managed to get in and out of a parking lot behind a guy on Blizzaks -- and HE was slipping and sliding around about as much as I was. So, they're not "magic" in the snow, but they're pretty good.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:06 PM
guitarist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PDX_Racer
+1 on the Kumho ASXs. When newer, they're pretty good in the dry or wet.

As far as "sucks in snow" -- I managed to get in and out of a parking lot behind a guy on Blizzaks -- and HE was slipping and sliding around about as much as I was. So, they're not "magic" in the snow, but they're pretty good.
ha, I was actually thinking Blizzaks when I wrote "everything else." Rubber + frozen water in any form = not much grip. Studded tires, on the other hand...

But yeah, the ASXs are as good as any all-season I've driven, and they're pretty darn cheap, too.