Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

370z Nismo autocross setup for SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:48 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keeping the car stock is way too much work! Cant run a preventive oil cooler that is recommended for aggressive street driving or I will get bumped? Not going to ruin my car so I can stay in stock class.
You're kidding right? You don't need an oil cooler for autocross and you certainly don't need it for street driving.

Cant find affordable wheels to run stock class. So do I go to BSP now?
Use the stock wheels that came on your car.

I have decided to run a cooler and upgrade brakes so I can run hillclimbs without fearing catastrophic failure. Hillclimb I run lasts over 2 minutes in 100 degree heat and its all uphill. I have to run a cooler.
Well, I've run 30 minute session at Willow Springs in 110 degree heat and not had any oil related issues in the 8,000 track miles I've put on the car. Oil temps have stayed around 250F. Stop listening to Internet Engineers and stop trying to come up with excuses not to go out there and have fun. Are you scared...
Old 01-11-2011, 09:02 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Well, I've run 30 minute session at Willow Springs in 110 degree heat and not had any oil related issues in the 8,000 track miles I've put on the car. Oil temps have stayed around 250F. Stop listening to Internet Engineers and stop trying to come up with excuses not to go out there and have fun. Are you scared...
So that is one data point, and I certainly believe you. Is that in a completely stock 370? And I know it gets hot out there at the Fastest Track in the West for sure.

Two more data points:
I have driven a stock 370Z as well as a 370Z (both non-NISMO, though I don't believe it matters) with aftermarket goodies including an oil cooler, and both have gone limp after 5-7 hard laps (one at Thunderhill, one at Laguna Seca). While at Thunderhill, the car literally stalled on the front straight for about 5 seconds. While at Laguna, I lost the synchro-rev match feature as well. It just turned off entirely, which surprised me when I expected it to work as I downshifted in T6!

I agree that it's highly unlikely Grant would need an OC for the local autox series, but if the hill climbs are as he described, it's a potential problem. One that I would tackle if proven-true.

Last edited by scotts300; 01-11-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:34 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scotts300
So that is one data point, and I certainly believe you. Is that in a completely stock 370? And I know it gets hot out there at the Fastest Track in the West for sure.

Two more data points:
I have driven a stock 370Z as well as a 370Z (both non-NISMO, though I don't believe it matters) with aftermarket goodies including an oil cooler, and both have gone limp after 5-7 hard laps (one at Thunderhill, one at Laguna Seca). While at Thunderhill, the car literally stalled on the front straight for about 5 seconds. While at Laguna, I lost the synchro-rev match feature as well. It just turned off entirely, which surprised me when I expected it to work as I downshifted in T6!

I agree that it's highly unlikely Grant would need an OC for the local autox series, but if the hill climbs are as he described, it's a potential problem. One that I would tackle if proven-true.
He should be fine on a hill climb that's less then 5 minutes. Sounds like Nissan's warranty lawyers have gotten a little out of hand. Maybe a re-flash can solve that issue.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Cobb couldn't do anything, but maybe someone will figure it out soon. 4 stage limp mode, i don't remember all the parameters, but i believe 260ish was the final one. I believe the first one is around 220 oil temp, and it keeps pulling power untill you hit the final one.

Those cars are junk, funny seeing my friends 370z go into limp mode on the freeway at 80 mph with the cruise control set. Vegas temps are to much for them.