Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Speed Ventures & Redline TA

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Speed Ventures & Redline TA

I've seen a couple members out at Redline events last year and just wondered how many of you were either gonna step up and run Redline or move over and run Speed Ventures Time Attack series (no offense but running against those 135’s and friends would be too expensive for most), and what reasons brought you to your responses? For me the choice is easy, the step up to stay in Redline is significant and for a Z would probably require FI to be competitive at the larger tracks (or near race car NA build) not to mention I think they are just out of my league, currently.

Also, I received an email a few days back saying the rules and schedule have been completed in draft form for the Speed Ventures series, have any of you seen them yet?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Zazz93

Answered one question... SVTA Rules

http://svc.speedventures.com/fly.aspx?layout=rules

Also shows the first two events on the schedule.

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=grid style="WIDTH: 100px" vAlign=top align=left>EVENT NO.</TD><TD class=grid style="WIDTH: 125px" vAlign=top align=left>DATE</TD><TD class=grid style="WIDTH: 200px" vAlign=top align=left>VENUE</TD><TD class=grid style="WIDTH: 125px" vAlign=top align=left>CONFIGURATION</TD><TD class=grid style="WIDTH: 175px" vAlign=top align=left></TD></TR><TR><TD style="HEIGHT: 1px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black" vAlign=top align=left colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD class=grid vAlign=top align=left>1</TD><TD class=grid vAlign=top align=left>FEBRUARY 13</TD><TD class=grid vAlign=top align=left>STREETS OF WILLOW SPRINGS</TD><TD class=grid vAlign=top align=left>TBD</TD><TD class=grid vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD style="HEIGHT: 1px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black" vAlign=top align=left colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD class=grid vAlign=top align=left>2</TD><TD class=grid vAlign=top align=left>MARCH 13</TD><TD class=grid vAlign=top align=left>BUTTONWILLOW RACEWAY</TD><TD class=grid vAlign=top align=left>RACE #13 CW</TD><TD class=grid vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD style="HEIGHT: 1px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black" vAlign=top align=left colSpan=5></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Old 01-06-2011, 04:48 PM
jnathan68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was originally running RTA events in street front wheel drive until I bought my 350z mid last year. After buying the Z I ran the the Spring Mountain Motorsports Park and the Auto Club Speedway event in enthusiast rear wheel drive class.

My plan is to run as many of the Speedventures run RTA events this year as I can. I think with Speedventures running them, they should be fun but still bring in the competitive aspect that is missing in most open track days.

You are correct in that the Z is not really a competitive car in Street or higher class without some kind of forced induction. However, in the enthusiast class, it has and should be reasonabley competitive car. The class was won this year by a 370z and multiple 350z's have done well in the class.

I finished very well at the year end event on stock struts and springs and stock motor (only a catback exhaust).

I assume Fonatana Nissan will be running the higher level RTA series...not sure who else in the Z community is going to step up to that level.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:01 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

I'm running the SpeedVentures side. Unless your FI with over 400HP you don't stand a chance with the Z33 in Street. There is not enough weight to legally be removed and you would need slightly in the 300hp range to be competative NA.
Also looking at the rules for Redline, 4 point rollbar, fixed seat, harness and Hans device are all required. Maybe by the end of the year i will be fully set up, and run back of the pack in Street. Hopefully will be FI for 2012 and run the Pro side of the action.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Zazz93

Originally Posted by jnathan68
... The class was won this year by a 370z
Yeah, Paul D. tapped the field a few times last year and only got quicker as the year went on. The thing that kinda sucks is, I don't think we'll get that benchmark to shoot after this year as I'm sure he'll try Street or Mod with RTA. I've always found picking up speed is much easier around faster drivers, sure you have to stop at your limit, but the learning curve is shortened dramatically. And JNathan were you in the red 350z?

Hey Terrasmak, you've got to promise me a ride-along in a session this year gotta feel the Motons for myself.

Last edited by Zazz93; 01-06-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:25 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Zazz93
Hey Terrasmak, you've got to promise me a ride-along in a session this year gotta feel the Motons for myself.
No problem, should be fully set up in the next few weeks. Just ordered rear SPL arms and new springs from Scott@Fontana Nissan. Looks like im ended up with a 700lb front spring with 280lb rear run as a true coilover. Then the car goes to the rack -2.7 front and -2.2 rear with slight toe in front and rear.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:15 PM
jnathan68

Originally Posted by Zazz93
Yeah, Paul D. tapped the field a few times last year and only got quicker as the year went on. The thing that kinda sucks is, I don't think we'll get that benchmark to shoot after this year as I'm sure he'll try Street or Mod with RTA. I've always found picking up speed is much easier around faster drivers, sure you have to stop at your limit, but the learning curve is shortened dramatically. And JNathan were you in the red 350z?

Yes, I was driving the red Nismo 350z. I agree that on the speedventures side of RTA, there will probably be less high level drivers and I agree that having those high level drivers can give you a mark to shoot for but at this point, it is the series I can afford to "play" in so that is where I will be.

Figure there should still be some good competition and it should be fun
Old 01-07-2011, 05:10 AM
roger22

Originally Posted by terrasmak
No problem, should be fully set up in the next few weeks. Just ordered rear SPL arms and new springs from Scott@Fontana Nissan. Looks like im ended up with a 700lb front spring with 280lb rear run as a true coilover. Then the car goes to the rack -2.7 front and -2.2 rear with slight toe in front and rear.
Good luck with that alignment
Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Zazz93

Originally Posted by jnathan68
Figure there should still be some good competition and it should be fun
Definately, without him, that field would have seen 2-3 seconds covering the top 5 or 6 in the last event.

Then the car goes to the rack -2.7 front and -2.2 rear with slight toe in front and rear.
Doesn't look bad at all, a little aggressive camber-wise but should work fine depending on how much rotation you get from your sway bars and that rear springs. If aything, I would say that may be a little conservative as far as car balance. Maybe a little pushy but stable and consistant for lap times with your square tire setup.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:47 AM
halfrice

how much is it to run speed ventures? is it $250 again like redline this past year?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:13 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by halfrice
how much is it to run speed ventures? is it $250 again like redline this past year?
On the site it shows $140 a day, hopefully thats what it is for the race side of things.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Zazz93

If its like the Challenge competitions they run, its basically a trackday where the timing means something for those registered. They may separate the sessions a little differently as well. Overall, it should be at a much lower cost than the Redline events of last year. But there is still a lot of question to be answered and I think they are waiting to see the turn-out for the first two events before they spend too much time and resources developing it further. I was at the last trackday at Cal Speedway when they ran the Corvette Challenge but due to the rain, the turn out was not that high and sessions began too merge together. They'll be back at CA Speedway next weekend (non SVTA event) and I plan to go back and get some more seat time and mess with a new suspension setup, I'll ask a few questions for you if you have them.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:58 PM
halfrice

is there going to be a driver license fee for the whole year again? or are they getting rid of that too? considering doing this now, also the event schedule for the whole season is up now

# DATE VENUE CONFIGURATION
1 FEBRUARY 13 STREETS OF WILLOW SPRINGS TBD REGISTER
2 MARCH 13 BUTTONWILLOW RACEWAY RACE #13 CW REGISTER
3 MAY 14 SPRING MOUNTAIN MOTORSPORTS RANCH TBD REGISTER
4 JUNE 21 BUTTONWILLOW RACEWAY RACE #13 CW REGISTER
5 AUGUST 14 AUTO CLUB SPEEDWAY FULL COURSE ROVAL REGISTER
6 SEPTEMBER 25 BUTTONWILLOW RACEWAY RACE #13 CW REGISTER
7 OCTOBER 9 WILLOW SPRINGS INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY REGISTER
8 NOVEMBER 20 AUTO CLUB SPEEDWAY FULL COURSE ROVAL REGISTER
Old 01-09-2011, 03:17 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

East Coast hate ......
terra: toe-in on the front?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:52 PM
roger22

need -3.3 front and -1.8 rear with R6/A6/V710
Old 01-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Zazz93

is there going to be a driver license fee for the whole year again? or are they getting rid of that too? considering doing this now, also the event schedule for the whole season is up now

# DATE VENUE CONFIGURATION
1 FEBRUARY 13 STREETS OF WILLOW SPRINGS TBD REGISTER
2 MARCH 13 BUTTONWILLOW RACEWAY RACE #13 CW REGISTER
3 MAY 14 SPRING MOUNTAIN MOTORSPORTS RANCH TBD REGISTER
4 JUNE 21 BUTTONWILLOW RACEWAY RACE #13 CW REGISTER
5 AUGUST 14 AUTO CLUB SPEEDWAY FULL COURSE ROVAL REGISTER
6 SEPTEMBER 25 BUTTONWILLOW RACEWAY RACE #13 CW REGISTER
7 OCTOBER 9 WILLOW SPRINGS INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY REGISTER
8 NOVEMBER 20 AUTO CLUB SPEEDWAY FULL COURSE ROVAL REGISTER

Don't think the same fee is there this year, on the Speed Venture side of things.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:33 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by roger22
need -3.3 front and -1.8 rear with R6/A6/V710
What would you suggest with street tires? R comps require more camber. Also being NA I don't have a traction issue with -2.2 out back.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:38 PM
halfrice

hmm if its only $140 plus transponder, i think ill be at the feb event. Anyone know if there are going to be any contingency sponsors on the speedventures side?
Old 01-09-2011, 11:32 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

hmm if its only $140 plus transponder, i think ill be at the feb event. Anyone know if there are going to be any contingency sponsors on the speedventures side?
I asked on their facebook site, but will ask redline about it next.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:43 AM
halfrice

damn just found out i have to work march 13 wonder if i can request the day off

Quick Reply: Speed Ventures & Redline TA