Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Got my feet wet on an actual track

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 06:20 PM
DaveSB

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, the tires cut, therefor I flared the fenders. They no longer touch. To add to that, the 'cuts' are in the corner of the tread, not going down into the tire itself, let alone the cords or worse. I'm not concerned, but I appreciate that you are. I took a very close look at that when it happened. Since being out at Gingerman, the cut area has worn down from using all of the tread surface. Doesn't look half this bad now. The pic was taken 30 minutes after flaring the fenders.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:38 AM
Stack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave... you should now clearly understand why we so often use terms like:

Track *****
Track Junkie
"taking a hit off the Track Pipe"
Track Withdrawls
"getting a Track Fix"

It is VERY MUCH an addictive drug... WELCOME!!

Originally Posted by DaveSB
Actually, the tires cut, therefor I flared the fenders. They no longer touch. To add to that, the 'cuts' are in the corner of the tread, not going down into the tire itself, let alone the cords or worse. I'm not concerned, but I appreciate that you are. I took a very close look at that when it happened. Since being out at Gingerman, the cut area has worn down from using all of the tread surface. Doesn't look half this bad now. The pic was taken 30 minutes after flaring the fenders.
They do bring up a good point... it does look bad. When/if you need to have your car tech'ed for a more extensive track event, there's a real chance the person doing the tech wont allow that on track, no matter how much you tell him or her it doesn't rub.

If I were inspecting your car for one of my events, I would be VERY hesitant to pass it because of that.

Do the tires stick out like that because of wheel offset? Or an over-sized tire on the wheel? In other words, is it something that can be temporarily adjusted when you do a track day?

We're not trying to bust your chops... we genuinely are concerned about your safety on track (and of course our safety being on track with you.) While it may not be rubbing now... as you get faster, and the loads on the car's suspension become greater, it might start rubbing again in the future. Being on the corner tread might buy you some time, but it'll still eventually ruin your day on track. Anywhere there's an anomaly in your tread, it will create a hot spot, and as I'm sure you know... heat kills tires.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^Exactly, I just about cried when I saw a guy in a NSX (daily driver) blow a Hoosier on the front straight and take out the entire rear quarter panel. Aside from the scare of tipping it in to a 100+ mph turn one with the entire right rear section gone he's now putting it on a tow truck and borrowing or renting a car to go to work the next day. Needless to say, if that were the first or second event you're likely not gonna do it again.