Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Low mileage 08 base vs hi mileage 07 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011 | 10:40 AM
N80

Originally Posted by laze1
AND FROM LEFT FIELD...

Get a DE engined car...cheaper to replace the DE engine when it blows...
Okay John, what is a DE engine?

I got a couple of quotes for a built engines from SOHO Motorsports in Charlotte. I'm not sure what other engines they can do but the low quote was $11,000. But that is a completely rebuilt and race prepped but still NA.
Old 12-31-2011 | 10:41 AM
N80

Originally Posted by silvertouringz
base+steering buttons = enthusiast. enthusiast has vlsd. id go for the lower mileage for sure! u can add brembos on the lower mileaged car, but u cannot reduce the mileage of the higher mileaged one
Thanks. Makes good sense.
Old 12-31-2011 | 10:47 AM
N80

Originally Posted by pbn85
you're forgetting that the HR is a totally different motor and doesn't burn oil like the DE's.
No, I'm aware of that. My 07 G35X has the HR. I'm just saying, one big let down like this and you start to worry what it will be next.

But I'm not bailing on Nissan yet. I've done a lot of looking at it is pretty hard to beat a low mileage 350Z for a car that is 1) A reasonable and reliable daily driver 2) fun to drive everyday and 3) fun and capable enough on the track for under $20k.
Old 12-31-2011 | 11:52 AM
pbn85

Originally Posted by N80
No, I'm aware of that. My 07 G35X has the HR. I'm just saying, one big let down like this and you start to worry what it will be next.

But I'm not bailing on Nissan yet. I've done a lot of looking at it is pretty hard to beat a low mileage 350Z for a car that is 1) A reasonable and reliable daily driver 2) fun to drive everyday and 3) fun and capable enough on the track for under $20k.
There's a thread here about the highest mileage HR's and a few people have hit 100k miles. From what I read it seems the HR is pretty damn solid and reliable. I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially the mileage.
Old 12-31-2011 | 12:27 PM
SE5spd

Base model and a clutch type LSD and you're golden IMO

You don't have to worry about TC, VDC, or anything like that.
Old 12-31-2011 | 05:05 PM
N80

Originally Posted by SE5spd
Base model and a clutch type LSD and you're golden IMO

You don't have to worry about TC, VDC, or anything like that.
So the base has no TC at all? That's amazing.

Even on my first track day the VDC on my G35 was getting intrusive on corner exit. However, with VDC off, the residual traction control does not seem to be noticeable. So I don't mind if the car has it, but I would not miss it if it didn't.

I probably will not have time to sell my G and pick up a Z before my next track weekend (Feb with NASA-SE at CMP.) But hopefully by the next event (Roebling in April?) I hope to have a Z of some sort.

Last edited by N80; 12-31-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-31-2011 | 05:08 PM
laze1

The DE is the original engine...2003 - 2005 and some 2006 models...I can get them used for <$ 1800 each...plenty in in junk yards now.

I'm not saying better, just saying cheaper...

I currently race an engine from a 2005 350z automatic car w/80k miles...completely stock...and run the shiate out of it.

I just barely have $11,000 in my entire race car...no kidding...2004 Track model...purchased as a build race car

Originally Posted by N80
Okay John, what is a DE engine?

I got a couple of quotes for a built engines from SOHO Motorsports in Charlotte. I'm not sure what other engines they can do but the low quote was $11,000. But that is a completely rebuilt and race prepped but still NA.

Last edited by laze1; 12-31-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-31-2011 | 05:12 PM
N80

Originally Posted by laze1
The DE is the original engine...2003 - 2005 and some 2006 models...I can get them used for <$ 1800 each...plenty in in junk yards now.

I'm not saying better, just saying cheaper...
I might have to look into that. Everything matches up the same, mounts, tranny and all that?
Old 12-31-2011 | 05:22 PM
laze1

Not easy to swap engines...if you buy a DE car..it stays a DE car...this is the short version...

a 2003-2005 Track model is pretty cheap now days...~ $12-14K.

Last edited by laze1; 12-31-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-31-2011 | 08:32 PM
SE5spd

Originally Posted by N80
So the base has no TC at all? That's amazing.

Even on my first track day the VDC on my G35 was getting intrusive on corner exit. However, with VDC off, the residual traction control does not seem to be noticeable. So I don't mind if the car has it, but I would not miss it if it didn't.

I probably will not have time to sell my G and pick up a Z before my next track weekend (Feb with NASA-SE at CMP.) But hopefully by the next event (Roebling in April?) I hope to have a Z of some sort.

nope, base model has absolutely no assists like TC or anything.
Old 01-01-2012 | 06:22 AM
laze1

and if you plan to turn the new purchase into a TT or PT race car...starting with a Base car is the way to go because of the way NASA assigns points. A Track model gets screwed on points/classing. So the Base is the way to go....for TT or Racing. If TT/Racing isn't in your plans...then this doesn't matter to you.

I completely remove the VDC in the race car. VDC/Traction control will hurt you when you start to drive with very high drift angles...you will notice your front brakes smoking because of the system trying to straighten you out as you drift thru corners.

You can kill the computer control of the car by removing the "Yaw Sensor" that is located just behind the shifter, under the console. Search for "Yaw Sensor" and you will find many different ways that people have by-passed this system for track use....not hard to do at all.
Old 01-10-2012 | 07:08 AM
N80

Well, I missed out on a clean, nicely priced 07 Enthusiast. Went back to look at it a day later and it was sold.

Now there is an 08 with only 13k miles on it available about 30 minutes away at a Chevy dealership. No pics posted yet. They claim it is a base model. No cruise control or traction control listed in the 'features'. Price is not great at $19,900 but it sounds like the car is in perfect shape and the mileage is amazingly low.

Will look at it ASAP.

The lack of VLSD does not bother me. Lack of cruise control not an issue. My DD is short in-town driving, rarely a short road trip. Lack of nav, leather, steering wheel radio controls not an issue. Cheap radio also not an issue since as mentioned the Bose isn't great (the one in my G stinks too) anyway.

Lack of TC bothers me just a little. Nice to have in the rain and all that. Will not miss it at the track.

Sounds like springs and sways are the same on all trim levels except NISMO so there are no issues there and will likely replaces sways anyway.

What else might I miss on a base model vs Enthusiast? Anyone know what the stock wheels are on the base?

Edit: Tire Rack shows Base model wheels same as Enthusiast, staggered 18's.

Last edited by N80; 01-10-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-15-2012 | 05:22 PM
N80

As it worked out the clean 07 Enthusiast popped up again at a nearby CarMax. They shipped it back and I bought it. It has 58k miles on it and cost a little less than $18k. I realize the price is a bit high since there is little or no warranty left, but the car is in incredible condition.

My first track day is in less than a month. I've got EBC Yellowstuff pads on order. I know they're not the best track pads but they worked fine at this track on my G35 coupe.

It has brand new tires, but they are El Dorado Velozzas (). They are 'W' rated but pretty hard at 360. I do not have the cash to replace them or for a set of track tires and rims. Might be a little squirrelly on a cold track but they will have to do.

Hope to do about 4-5 DE events a year so hopefully there will be some new sway bars and maybe a set of track tires/rims in the future.

Laze1, since you're not going to be at CMP in Feb it looks like there will only be one other Z there and its a racer, John Davidson I think.
Old 01-15-2012 | 05:25 PM
laze1

John D. will be there...and my Race Car co-owner Doug Haymes may attend...
but doubt that he makes it either...

Good Luck!

Originally Posted by N80
As it worked out the clean 07 Enthusiast popped up again at a nearby CarMax. They shipped it back and I bought it. It has 58k miles on it and cost a little less than $18k. I realize the price is a bit high since there is little or no warranty left, but the car is in incredible condition.

My first track day is in less than a month. I've got EBC Yellowstuff pads on order. I know they're not the best track pads but they worked fine at this track on my G35 coupe.

It has brand new tires, but they are El Dorado Velozzas (). They are 'W' rated but pretty hard at 360. I do not have the cash to replace them or for a set of track tires and rims. Might be a little squirrelly on a cold track but they will have to do.

Hope to do about 4-5 DE events a year so hopefully there will be some new sway bars and maybe a set of track tires/rims in the future.

Laze1, since you're not going to be at CMP in Feb it looks like there will only be one other Z there and its a racer, John Davidson I think.