Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Low mileage 08 base vs hi mileage 07 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:57 AM
N80

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Low mileage 08 base vs hi mileage 07 GT?

Probably going to ditch my 06 G35 coupe (Rev-up) because it is burning oil like crazy and not under warranty. I need a daily driver for during the week and a track car for HPDE on the weekends.

For about the same price I can get an 07 350Z GT (Brembos, VLSD) with 63k miles on it -OR- an 08 base model (standard brakes, no LSD) with 37k miles on it plus warranty.

What would you do? I've heard the VLSD does not add that much for someone who is not racing or TT so I may not miss it. With EBC sport rotors and Yellowstuff pads and street tires my G did fine with braking (no fade, no overheating, no lock ups). So I may not 'need' the Brembos and could add a BBK if I ever move up to track tires of some sort.

Anyway, any advice appreciated.

Last edited by N80; 12-30-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:11 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Grand touring IMO
Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 AM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Base with a diff swap in the future. 63k isn't that many miles, but you don't know what kind of miles they were. And warranties are boss. Got me a new trans, clutch, and flywheel all on nissans dime.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:03 AM
Bober'z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your going to get a lsd, you might as well get the 08 base
Old 12-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The base is probably more track friendly, due to the lack of electronic nannies and quirks, but 63K is nothing as far as mileage on that car. I say pick the one you like more based on condition and look. but that said... I'd probably lean towards the Touring.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:36 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

37,000 miles of course. I consider limited slip a given for a sports car. LSD should be standard on all Z models. Brakes? Hell you can always use better brakes.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

I would take the touring, you can sell the leather touring seats for more $$$, brembos are great and you may not need to upgrade to a BBK, Grand Touring wheels will sell for a lot more than the base wheels and the VLSD will be nice for a trackday or two . I still say get a Nismo if it is a track toy.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:56 AM
Duckeee

DD + track car = GT

it is indeed the heaviest of the bunch, but is a couple hundred pounds heavier, give or take, worth not having the luxury of cruise control, brembos, nav, etc. especially on a daily driver?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you like to go mod crazy, then get base because it had nothing you'd really want to keep. You'll be replacing everything, seats brakes audio LSD etc.. If you just want a nice all around z that you don't need to put much time and $ in fixing up, get the Gt.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:18 AM
sk26dett

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for the GT, better equipped from stock and 63k miles really isn't alot.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:25 AM
kham25

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

GT all the way... Get someone to look it over and make sure everything is legit. 63k is nothing for these cars.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:40 PM
hyuk28719

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go for GT as well. Like some members said, for DD + track days, you already have NAV + VDSL + nice leather sits, and cruise control. Cant beat that. Of course base model has advantages as far as weight when you begin modding and aim for track but it really depends on your budget and who knows one day you might go "what the hell, all these money I spent for these upgrades, I could've just bought GT back then."

Also, you can always "sell" brembo brake set and upgrade to better ones these are high demand. I don't know if leather sits are high demand as well but like some member said earlier these can be sold and you can always upgrade to better aftermarket ones.

63K is NOT REALLY a lot of miles on these cars. Some members have driven far over 150K+ and their car's still strong. Well taken care 63K miles is better than hard driven 37K miles. You always have risk of buying a car that's abused in a used car market. I would check with reliable mechanic for any signs of premature wear before I purchase anything. ALSO DON'T WALK OUT WITHOUT ANY TYPES OF INSURANCE- 30 days return is a minumum for used cars.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:38 PM
racerbob4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are you downgrading Brembo brakes. We have used them for the last 6 years of racing and they are more than adequate. Our current car is an 07 and runs just fine. Get some K&N filters and change the oil to synthetic.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:08 PM
N80

Thanks guys.

I would not change the Brembos. They are in the plus column for the GT. My point was that the base brakes worked fine on the track for my G35 so if I got the base 350z the stock brakes would be fine until I needed to go to bigger stickier tires. Then I might need to put a BBK on the base 350.

I realize 63k is not a lot for a Nissan. But, I got burned with my current G with the oil consumption problem at 80k or so. I've owned Nissans continuously since 1984 but you only have to get burned once to make you worry.

I'm starting to lean toward the base model. The one I'm looking at has cruise control. The stock brakes will be fine with the right pads. At my skill level I probably won't miss the VLSD which does not have much of a reputation for track use anyway. A Quaife or Nismo diff will be on the wish list.

Right now the existing warranty on the 08 base model is really appealing.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:02 PM
NoQuestionZ

Originally Posted by N80
Thanks guys.

I would not change the Brembos. They are in the plus column for the GT. My point was that the base brakes worked fine on the track for my G35 so if I got the base 350z the stock brakes would be fine until I needed to go to bigger stickier tires. Then I might need to put a BBK on the base 350.

I realize 63k is not a lot for a Nissan. But, I got burned with my current G with the oil consumption problem at 80k or so. I've owned Nissans continuously since 1984 but you only have to get burned once to make you worry.

I'm starting to lean toward the base model. The one I'm looking at has cruise control. The stock brakes will be fine with the right pads. At my skill level I probably won't miss the VLSD which does not have much of a reputation for track use anyway. A Quaife or Nismo diff will be on the wish list.

Right now the existing warranty on the 08 base model is really appealing.
If the "base" ur looking at has cruise, it ain't a base, and it has a VLSD. Cruise is the only thing I wish I had but its useless in most cases in San Diego.

I'd reclarify the "base" status and go with that 08.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:48 AM
N80

Originally Posted by NoQuestionZ
If the "base" ur looking at has cruise, it ain't a base, and it has a VLSD. Cruise is the only thing I wish I had but its useless in most cases in San Diego.

I'd reclarify the "base" status and go with that 08.
I think I do need to clarify. I've emailed two different dealerships, one of the a Nissan dealership, and they have both said that the car they have (which has cruise on the steering wheel) is a base model. One of them mentions 'enthusiast' in the description. That must be a step up from the base. If it truly has VLSD that would be a plus.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:12 AM
NoQuestionZ

If there's no steering wheel controls or buttons for VDC near the Hood pop lever THATS a true base. And no Bose, but the Bose sucks in the z anyway. And it'd be a gamble, but if its been traded in it MAY have a diff in it, but most likely not. I swapped a VLSD in my base for cheap and if I (EVER) trade it in, I'm not swapping it back out. Only way to test that is the fun way! Lay down some rubber on the test drive
Old 12-31-2011, 08:23 AM
laze1

AND FROM LEFT FIELD...

Get a DE engined car...cheaper to replace the DE engine when it blows...
Old 12-31-2011, 08:26 AM
silvertouringz

base+steering buttons = enthusiast. enthusiast has vlsd. id go for the lower mileage for sure! u can add brembos on the lower mileaged car, but u cannot reduce the mileage of the higher mileaged one
Old 12-31-2011, 10:19 AM
pbn85

Originally Posted by N80
you're forgetting that the HR is a totally different motor and doesn't burn oil like the DE's.

Quick Reply: Low mileage 08 base vs hi mileage 07 GT?