Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

350z vs FR-S Track Times?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 07:43 PM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

It's entirely possible. But it depends how tight the track is.

A friend of mine tests an FRS here.

It runs the very tight Toronto Motorsports Park in 1:26.5 stock. He did a similar test later and put RS3s and KWV3s on the FRS I believe and did a 1:23.3 or something.

Dave works for numerous magazines including Modified mag. They had a track build project G35 Coupe that was well modified and it struggled to find 1:22.40.

It is common belief that a stock 350Z will do at best around 1:28 on this track.

(My pb is around 1:20.5 but my car is pretty stripped out)
Most newcomers in 350Zs do about 1:32- 1:33.

Last edited by 2TH PWR; 11-24-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:40 PM
AshMan
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've researched the FRSBRZGT86 ran a 9:09 & the 350Z ran an 8:26
Old 11-24-2012, 08:46 PM
RUNWDVL

Received 236 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by AshMan
I heard that also. 9:09 was on damp track. A driver said it could be in 8:50, not sure if that's realistic or not.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:22 PM
R350Zz33

who cares scion isant worth it we can just pull out our gtr card what do they have then ? nvm lets pull out a smaller car from nissans deck of cards im thinking the juke na how bout the juke-R

Last edited by R350Zz33; 11-24-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:59 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Some of the comments made here just amaze me. The truth is if the course is very tight or in an autoX the FR-S will probably quicker from better braking and better transitions from being so much lighter.

Once you get to a place where the z can stretch its legs the Fr-S won't be able to make up that time.

I see that all the time which makes the racing so much fun. Some are faster at some places, some at others.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:53 AM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

should be fun to watch these two cars racing
Old 11-25-2012, 06:04 AM
TehkMob

Its not that much lighter, a 03 base is only 3100lbs, and the fr-s is almost 2900... Plus the z has 100 more (on the paper) HP. the scion, im sure could handle the Z in stock trim on a short twisty track. All the R&D is a decade more advanced than the z33...

So this is a mute arguement... look at the test IIRC on top gear, where they raced a old RACE car vs a newer STOCK trim focus... the focus mopped the race car...

Since im a Z owner tho, I'm biased.. Effff that scion...
Old 11-25-2012, 06:06 AM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
+1 Nah man he said Nuremburg, that's some town 240 miles away from the Nurburgring. Bench racing thread ftw.
. OP, you should at least get the name of the track, or in this case, the town, accurately before bench racing.

Originally Posted by mhoward1
Some of the comments made here just amaze me. The truth is if the course is very tight or in an autoX the FR-S will probably quicker from better braking and better transitions from being so much lighter.

Once you get to a place where the z can stretch its legs the Fr-S won't be able to make up that time.

I see that all the time which makes the racing so much fun. Some are faster at some places, some at others.
Would have to agree with mhoward1. The Z will take the FR-S on the Nordschleife, mainly because of the long straights and fast, sweeping corners. The Z's power advantage will definitely shine for the majority of the track.

Take both cars on a smaller, slower, tighter track, however, and the Z's power will mean a lot less.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:07 AM
NFGZ

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Lets play a game....guess the age of OP:

My guess: 17
22. Its sad how this website is run that you can have a mod totally thread jack a thread and act a fool. You'd think you would be more apt to help, and or keep a thread on track. But we all know how this site is ran. Thanks for your guess, since you were wrong I think that means I get a cookie.
Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Power to weight ratio.

Nuff said.

And no, the FR-S does not win that battle
Thank you sir
Originally Posted by muffles
I think the FR-S is the US version of a GT86 or BRZ right?

I would say the ring is a course weighted towards the 350Z as it has quite a few long straights. On twistier tracks I think the FR-S could surprise the Z. The FR-S is designed more for handling than outright power, and the 350Z is a bit weighty in standard form.
True true. I wasnt "bench" racing, I was simply looking for the same track, with each car, and their times. Simple. Its unfortunate this forum is run by jerks.
Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
It's entirely possible. But it depends how tight the track is.

A friend of mine tests an FRS here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI2snMjBqRE

It runs the very tight Toronto Motorsports Park in 1:26.5 stock. He did a similar test later and put RS3s and KWV3s on the FRS I believe and did a 1:23.3 or something.

Dave works for numerous magazines including Modified mag. They had a track build project G35 Coupe that was well modified and it struggled to find 1:22.40.

It is common belief that a stock 350Z will do at best around 1:28 on this track.

(My pb is around 1:20.5 but my car is pretty stripped out)
Most newcomers in 350Zs do about 1:32- 1:33.
Thanks man!
Thats what I found as well

This forum is run by people who think think they're entitled to something. People who think that since they own a mid life crisis sports car that they're better than everyone else. That "moderator" title, and or post count gives them internet rights.
Originally Posted by angelo350z
. OP, you should at least get the name of the track, or in this case, the town, accurately before bench racing.

Would have to agree with mhoward1. The Z will take the FR-S on the Nordschleife, mainly because of the long straights and fast, sweeping corners. The Z's power advantage will definitely shine for the majority of the track.

Take both cars on a smaller, slower, tighter track, however, and the Z's power will mean a lot less.
Thank you sir and I apologize about the mix up.

BTW your Z in your signature is clean man, I like the set up
Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 AM
angelo350z

OP, I saw that 8:XX number before. To be honest, a dude with average to higher than average driving skill, going on a regular day with the track open to the public, in a stock to slightly modded Z would have a difficult time beating that time. I've ran my HR Z on the Nordschelife numerous times in the four years I was in Germany, and there's no way I would've beaten that time with the minor mods I have. Even if I had the skill of a professional race car driver, it's difficult to achieve the fastest time when there's a multitude of other cars on the track and an accident in almost every other lap. Oh yeah, you can only do one lap at a time.

Last edited by angelo350z; 11-25-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:31 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Korey
This forum is run by people who think think they're entitled to something. People who think that since they own a mid life crisis sports car that they're better than everyone else. That "moderator" title, and or post count gives them internet rights.
Well it's just awesome that you thought the comments were about you and that the shear fact that I have the title of mod means that my reply was not made to answer the questioned asked based on my experience but to insult you. Experience that includes more than a few races ran and won, and a couple of championships that include Spec Miata, ITS ( in a z), GT-1, TT2, and FFRC. It's all based on my mid life crisis car (/sarcasm).

It seems you only want to hear the answer you want and not from anyone who has the dreaded MOD on the left.

Here is some advice to get an answer you want to hear. Mike Skeen has driven both cars stock at VIR with video. Search YouTube to watch both.

Last edited by mhoward1; 11-25-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:55 AM
AshMan
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Lost all respect for OP. It boils down to kinetic & potential energy & power to weight ratio. Also, the velocity @ which the chip is knocked off your shoulder.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:04 AM
NFGZ

Well it's just awesome that you thought the comments were about you and that the shear fact that I have the title of mod means that my reply was not made to answer the questioned asked based on my experience but to insult you. Experience that includes more than a few races ran and won, and a couple of championships that include Spec Miata, ITS ( in a z), GT-1, TT2, and FFRC. It's all based on my mid life crisis car (/sarcasm).

It seems you only want to hear the answer you want and not from anyone who has the dreaded MOD on the left.

Here is some advice to get an answer you want to hear. Mike Skeen has driven both cars stock at VIR with video. Search YouTube to watch both.
"Lets guess the OP's age".
That doesnt seem to answer any question I had, but I appreciate the effort.

Now, the second part of your post is great and for that I am appreciative.

Its unfortunate, but true, that the mods on here are ridiculous at times. Ive lurked this site forever before actually signing up, and Ive found most new comers are not welcomed with open arms. As one famous thread on here constantly points to "17 year olds and their parents buying them the cars"
Lost all respect for OP. It boils down to kinetic & potential energy & power to weight ratio. Also, the velocity @ which the chip is knocked off your shoulder.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 AM
grimm66

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So when are yal going to Germany?
Old 11-25-2012, 11:08 AM
angelo350z

Originally Posted by grimm66
If you do decide to ship you cars for the summer, hit me up. I'll get you a good price on some containerized transportation. Your 350Z and his FR-S are guranteed to be damaged-freee when they reach Bremerhaven.

If not, this thread must be / .
Old 11-25-2012, 12:25 PM
NFGZ

Originally Posted by grimm66
Well sir never did I say we would, simply looking to compare numbers on a popular track where I assumed that both cars had been ran.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:27 PM
SE5spd

evasive motorsports frs buttonwillow

Look it up on YouTube.

Not as fast as I thought it'd be...but on the other hand they had no testing time.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:37 PM
jduet

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
+1 Nah man he said Nuremburg, that's some town 240 miles away from the Nurburgring. Bench racing thread ftw.
They must be doing time trials now at the nuremburg ring
Old 11-26-2012, 02:33 PM
TheWoods

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Post another street racing vid and feel the wrath of the ban hammer mmmkay, RUNWDVL.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:52 PM
end of z world

Juke r ha wtf i guess that's what Nissan does when they're bored

Quick Reply: 350z vs FR-S Track Times?