Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Race seat vs airbag.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 05:08 PM
N80

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Race seat vs airbag.

A MY350Z member recently gave(!) me a racing seat complete with brackets and rails.

I got it in the car today and was surprised to find that everything fits including the headroom (I'm tall). I used the OEM right hand seat belt buckle/assembly which bolts to the race seat.

My intention is to use the stock seat belts with the race seat. The stock belts fit and work properly with the seat so I think this will be fine.

The stock buckle assembly has a wire for indicating whether it is buckled and I plugged it in and that warning light works properly.

However, the airbag warning light comes on and stays flashing. Does this mean that the airbag on steering wheel is disabled or does it just mean that the airbag on the seat (obviously) won't work?

I think the OEM seatbelt geometry and function are fine with this seat but I don't think it would be safe on track without the steering wheel airbag.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Airbags are not designed for track safety.

If there is a fault in the system, it all shuts down, so if you remove the seat airbag, you won't get any other deployment during a crash.

As far as track use, you should have the car properly modified to keep you secure (race harness and such) and have proper safety gear (helmet?), not be reliant on an airbag that is designed to catch you at a 40-50mph crash.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:07 PM
N80

Originally Posted by Italianjoe1
Airbags are not designed for track safety.
Agreed. I've just always understood that if you use the OEM seatbelt that the airbag should be functional, on or off track.

If there is a fault in the system, it all shuts down, so if you remove the seat airbag, you won't get any other deployment during a crash.
That stinks. Will have to do some research regarding OEM belts without functional airbags.

Harness, roll bar (or harness bar) are in the works but not there yet. I'm not racing at this point but might move up to time trials in the next 6-9 months.

Edit: wonder if there is a workaround/ override to have the steering wheel airbag work without the seat airbag being there?

Last edited by N80; 04-14-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:25 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Lots op people have successfully used a 2.2 ohm 0.25 watt resistor plugged into the yellow connector under the seat in place of the air bag. The warning light will return to normal. However it would be prudent to get a body shop or dealer etc. to use their test machine to confirm that the other bags are in now ready to deploy normally.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:11 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm dealing with this crap right now myself as I wait for new seats to arrive. There is a lot of threads around about the need for rigging up a 2.2 Ohm 1/4 watt resistor; I ordered some on amazon.com today because local radio shack didn't have them, nor did another place. Only cost a few bucks; will it work? We'll see; a lot of views on what works and what doesn't, but the thing that I'm worried about is the "weight sensor" of the pass. seat!

I'll rig. up the resistors as some tutorials have specified; splice them into the seat harness that comes out of the floor under the seats, I'll do the "reset" procedure; saved a video of that, you use an ignition key cycle several times at pretty exact intervals and the blinking light is supposed to turn off. Bottom line, the seats are going in and worse case scenerio I'll put a small square of elec. tape over the GD light! It's pretty ridiculous nowadays with all of this sensor BS throughout our vehicles; all makes. You are right, there is the one for the stock seat belts also; I plan to use the stocks to. Good luck with your situation. Sorry if I went in a different direction than you meant, but we both are dealing with this airbag sensor type stuff.

Last edited by BigBlue; 04-14-2014 at 08:26 PM. Reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g5UQIF3Euu0
Old 04-15-2014, 01:35 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

It has been proven on here that the other airbags still go off in a crash, you will get a fault for the one that will not work, but the other do. Would I willingly want to test this, nope, could it have been a fluke , maybe. I'm not an expert, just going off others experience.

OEM seatbelt and race seat. The straps really need to be properly threaded into the seat holes. Easy on the one, but the clip side is a different story. I know it's possible to get a latch with strap attached to do this, a few members have had a setup like that in the past, with the the OEM style latch is mounted inside the seat rails.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:43 AM
michael815

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=BigBlue;10372140]I'm dealing with this crap right now myself as I wait for new seats to arrive. There is a lot of threads around about the need for rigging up a 2.2 Ohm 1/4 watt resistor; I ordered some on amazon.com today because local radio shack didn't have them, nor did another place. Only cost a few bucks; will it work? We'll see; a lot of views on what works and what doesn't, but the thing that I'm worried about is the "weight sensor" of the pass. seat!

I'll rig. up the resistors as some tutorials have specified; splice them into the seat harness that comes out of the floor under the seats, I'll do the "reset" procedure; saved a video of that, you use an ignition key cycle several times at pretty exact intervals and the blinking light is supposed to turn off. Bottom line, the seats are going in and worse case scenerio I'll put a small square of elec. tape over the GD light! It's pretty ridiculous nowadays with all of this sensor BS throughout our vehicles; all makes. You are right, there is the one for the stock seat belts also; I plan to use the stocks to. Good luck with your situation. Sorry if I went in a different direction than you meant, but we both are dealing with this airbag sensor type stuff.]

I just received a set of Corbeau A6 seats and will do install soon. It looks like i may be able to take the weight sensor out of the stock seat and fit it in the new pass seat. we will see once I take the old seat apart. and will try the resistors. But I have heard also that the other airbags should work but again should be checked by a computer at a shop .
Old 04-15-2014, 04:08 AM
N80

It does not make sense to me that the manufacturer would cause the entire SRS system to fail if one small element, like a seat airbag, was disabled or malfunctioning. This would put the driver and passenger at risk with no other airbags functioning. But that's just me guessing.

Would love to see a link on where to get a resistor and how to hook it up.

I think the OEM belts work fine with this seat. I ran the belt through the side hole on the left but buckle it over the seat edge on the right. My pelvis sits just above the seat edge so the belt is very snug on the left and still in full contact (but not as snug) on the right. The shoulder belt tensions and catches normally.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:34 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by N80
It does not make sense to me that the manufacturer would cause the entire SRS system to fail if one small element, like a seat airbag, was disabled or malfunctioning. This would put the driver and passenger at risk with no other airbags functioning. But that's just me guessing.

Would love to see a link on where to get a resistor and how to hook it up.

I think the OEM belts work fine with this seat. I ran the belt through the side hole on the left but buckle it over the seat edge on the right. My pelvis sits just above the seat edge so the belt is very snug on the left and still in full contact (but not as snug) on the right. The shoulder belt tensions and catches normally.
Look into an extra latch as I mentioned for the seat, it will let the lap belt work properly in a wreck. The forces in a crash really tighten the belt across the lap as your upper body moves forward and pivots. Without the waste winching down properly this may not happen properly and cause you injury.

I believe it would be a latch from the back seat of some sort of Nissan. It just needs to be attached to a webbed strap.

You will need to jump the seatbelt connected switch, as a rear seatbelt will not have the wiring/plug for that.

Last edited by terrasmak; 04-15-2014 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:58 AM
N80

I'll see what I can find. That should not be too hard put together.

I can buckle the belt through the hole on the clip side. When I do this it is equally snug all the way across my pelvis. The problem with this is that it is hard to get it unbuckled because I've got to get my hand down in there and the seat is very snug. This could be an issue in case of fire.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:03 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by N80
I'll see what I can find. That should not be too hard put together.

I can buckle the belt through the hole on the clip side. When I do this it is equally snug all the way across my pelvis. The problem with this is that it is hard to get it unbuckled because I've got to get my hand down in there and the seat is very snug. This could be an issue in case of fire.
Just get one with webbing , everything will be on the inside. Should be simple from a wrecking yard.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:29 AM
BigBlue

Originally Posted by terrasmak
It has been proven on here that the other airbags still go off in a crash, you will get a fault for the one that will not work, but the other do. Would I willingly want to test this, nope, could it have been a fluke , maybe. I'm not an expert, just going off others experience.

OEM seatbelt and race seat. The straps really need to be properly threaded into the seat holes. Easy on the one, but the clip side is a different story. I know it's possible to get a latch with strap attached to do this, a few members have had a setup like that in the past, with the the OEM style latch is mounted inside the seat rails.
terrasmak, I have seen on some sites a "seatbealt extension" that I think is adjustable, could that item help out with what you are talking with this issue of good fitment?

*N80- congrats on the new seats! I hear you on the weight sensor removal/install; I've searched some info. about removing from stock seats and re-installing them; some guys say to turn the sensor upside down in new seat for some reason; probably doesn't matter.
Personally I will really have to think about this one! Getting the stock sensor out is not such a big deal; I just hate the thought of doing surgery on my brand new seat (just paid $3,500+)! However, "if" the resistor deal does work for the airbag delete and the weight sensor (what a joke!) install would solve it all, I would look into it. Good luck with it and please post up how/what you did with your new setup and dealing with the various sensor issues!

Edit: Yeah, my local Nissan dealer wanted "nothing" to do with this as far as anything to do with messing with airbag delete; legal matter.

Last edited by BigBlue; 04-15-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:51 AM
fzero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed some race seats and had a spare stock cloth seat so I ripped out the weight sensor and zip tied it to turn the airbag light off, this only works with 06 and up since the older models didnt have that passenger weight sensor
Old 04-15-2014, 09:58 AM
N80

Originally Posted by BigBlue
*N80- congrats on the new seats! I hear you on the weight sensor removal/install.
I've only got the driver side seat to deal with right now, I think it was someone else getting the new seats.

I've driven around in my new-to-me Sparco race seat and I am amazed how different it feels. I know it sounds corny but in the race seat I feel way more connected with the car. I'd heard people say that but it is so true. I honestly feel like this will make a difference in track times. I cannot wait to get on the track in this seat. (Without it I was getting raw places on my left knee from bracing against the door in the corners).

So here is my current game plan: 1) Get a Nissan latch with webbing (some come on a steel cord which would also be fine) like terrasmak recommended so that the OEM belt fits in the seat properly. 2) Do a little more research in regard to the airbag. If I can find that the steering wheel airbag is still functional, which it sounds like it is, I'll track it this way. The flashing light is not a concern since the OEM seat will go back in after track days.

One issue that I have is that my son is coming home for the next track day and I've signed him up for a Hyperdrive (single 20 minute track session). He will have an instructor in the car. If I were an instructor I would probably not ride in a street car with the SRS warning light flashing. So, I'll put the OEM seat back in for this upcoming track day and maybe put the Sparco back in once my son's session is over.

Last edited by N80; 04-15-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:31 AM
N80

Okay, eBay has plenty of rear seatbelt latches for G35 sedans. These are webbed and look to be just the right length to fit on my Sparco seat and are going for 15 or $20. Anyone know off hand if these will fit the 350Z male seatbelt tabs?

Edit: Nope. G35 male tabs look different so no-go there. That would have been too easy.

Last edited by N80; 04-15-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:44 AM
BigBlue

Originally Posted by fzero
I installed some race seats and had a spare stock cloth seat so I ripped out the weight sensor and zip tied it to turn the airbag light off, this only works with 06 and up since the older models didnt have that passenger weight sensor
I may consider doing this method; would be great! Any pics or tips as to how to do this? *I think the older models had a "bladder" type of weight sensor, the newer version sensor is very flat/thin; I think that is what I read anyway. Yeah if I could just roll that thing up tightly and just plug it in that would be t1ts!

Last edited by BigBlue; 04-15-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:59 AM
DmanG281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got some premade 2.2ohm resistors that came with my steering wheel that will cancel the airbag light. I have no use for them because no portion of my airbag system is being replaced(previously popped). PM me and they are yours.

I won't be taking my seat out until I get it back from paint but I can take a look at the weight sensor and try to come up with something. I don't mind tearing up my seat for the sake of the better good.

Last edited by DmanG281; 04-15-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:04 PM
DmanG281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, a seatbelt extender should work fine for what you are wanting to do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seat-Belt-Ex...-/161176338071

If the shoulder harness doesn't sit right get a child seatbelt strap. Wally world and Toys-r- us or basically anywhere that sells carseats sell them for a few bucks. They come with child seats as well so if you have one of those layin around may be time to scavenge. I may actually have a couple extra because baby.

Autocrossers use one called CGLock but I think it is somewhat spendy when you can get the same exact thing that may have a superhero on it or something. And lets be honest, who doesn't want a superhero seatbelt.

Last edited by DmanG281; 04-15-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:18 PM
N80

Originally Posted by DmanG281
I've got some premade 2.2ohm resistors that came with my steering wheel that will cancel the airbag light. I have no use for them because no portion of my airbag system is being replaced(previously popped). PM me and they are yours.

I won't be taking my seat out until I get it back from paint but I can take a look at the weight sensor and try to come up with something. I don't mind tearing up my seat for the sake of the better good.
PM sent. I'm just doing driver side for now so do not need weight sensor.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:20 PM
N80

Originally Posted by DmanG281
Autocrossers use one called CGLock but I think it is somewhat spendy when you can get the same exact thing that may have a superhero on it or something. And lets be honest, who doesn't want a superhero seatbelt.
I've been using a CGLock for a while now. Disappointed that I never saw the ones with super heroes one them.

Quick Reply: Race seat vs airbag.