Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

introduction of a nissan guy, 350z for autocross and occasional track days

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 07:46 PM
eye-5

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default introduction of a nissan guy, 350z for autocross and occasional track days

I've made up my mind to purchase a 350z as my daily/autocross car.

A little back ground on me, I've been autocrossing since 2005 as well as track days/instructing and competing in time attack/time trial events.

I have a SCCA Solo Street Modified Class 240sx that is pretty damn fast. I compete and have done very well in several time attack/time trial competitions including Redline when they came to Chicago in 2010. I took the RWD Street class that year. My times were faster than the champion that season who competed in drift class because the car didn't comply to the rules that event.

Here is a pic of my 240sx.

A pretty bad (helmet hair) pic of me at the redline event.

At any rate, I haven't given up on the 240 but want something a little easier to deal with for local HPDE's and autocross. When the 240 is working, I will compete with it in time attack/time trial events. For autocross/simple HPDE's, mainly when I'm instructing and don't have time to deal with the 240, I'm looking to drive the 350.

I've found a 2005 Performance with 29,000 miles for 14,500.00 or a Track Edition 2004 with 29,000 miles for 16,900. I don't know yet if I can bargain down the price on the 2004 track model. If I can, I think I'll take it. It is in pristine condition. The performance is way less expensive and almost everything I need.

Let me know your thoughts.

Goals are C Street class for SCCA to start, then maybe STU depending.

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2015, 07:41 AM
nextcore

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the z33 community! or soon.

A lot of people on this forum would swear by the HR motor upgrade the Z got in the '07-'08. If you're looking for low mileage and affordable.. those are easy to come by here in California.. But i'm not sure what the market is like out in Chicago.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:55 AM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

Welcome to MY350Z!
Old 09-02-2015, 07:59 AM
eye-5

I have been debating weight vs HP. The DE's had more torque and less HP but a track or performance model was pretty light.

The grand touring model in 07 or 08 seems like the way to go for big rubber but they weigh soo much more. I'm interested in any insight you have so keep it coming! I did see the debate on the higher rev limit and MPH in 2nd gear of the 07-08 models. I also saw the bad slave cylinder that I can't replace for C Street in those models.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:49 AM
monztr

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I run CS with my 06 GT, KYSCCA GLDV, I know of one other 06 GT that also runs CSI think he is East Tennessee region but won't swear to it but he is SEDIV. The Tirerack MX5 put the wood to both of us at wilmington, the loophole FRS (runs TRD Springs)was way up there as well. We were the only Z's in CS at wilmington and he did far better than I, even on my best day those top few are just out of reach. The lack of factory camber adjustment hurts, we have more wheel than any other car in class but they all have adjustable camber. I was the fastest car not running Bridges. Locally I tend to run top 10 pax and raw. The higher redline fo the rev up motor also helps on larger national type courses. 06 GT gets you the big wheels, Brembo's, the higher redline, not quite as much HP as the HR cars.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:06 PM
eye-5

It looks like I found a black 07 touring! I'm a huge fan of black cars so that is a bonus for me.

From my research, it will only take the brembos, wheels, front lip spoiler and under body diffusers on the rear to fully convert it to a Grand Touring. Let me know if I missed anything.

I'm flying out to check it out on Saturday. If it works out, I'm driving it home.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:27 PM
eye-5

Flew in on Saturday, bought the car and drove it 5 &1/2 hours home. Autocrossed it on Sunday . It was pretty slippery on all seasons.

The following 2 users liked this post by eye-5:
KingBaby (04-14-2016), terrasmak (10-16-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 04:43 PM
Gunkata

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, fellow Chicago guy here. I have been doing track events on and off since about the same time as you, 2005, and with several different cars over the years. I got a 2003 Track back in April and love it. The brakes are incredible (Brembos), and I've seen guys selling take-offs for around $900-$1200, depending on the condition.

Who do you autox with? I primarily run with the local BMW club and then do events at autobahn.

John
Old 10-19-2015, 04:59 PM
eye-5

Originally Posted by Gunkata
Hey, fellow Chicago guy here. I have been doing track events on and off since about the same time as you, 2005, and with several different cars over the years. I got a 2003 Track back in April and love it. The brakes are incredible (Brembos), and I've seen guys selling take-offs for around $900-$1200, depending on the condition.

Who do you autox with? I primarily run with the local BMW club and then do events at autobahn.

John
I run with Chicago region SCCA, TSSCC and Milwaukee region SCCA. Mainly because they have the hardest competition and all use the same rule set.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:06 PM
Gunkata

Very cool, I did it backwards and did track for almost 10 years before starting autox last year, so im not uber competitive just yet.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:58 AM
eye-5

Very cool, I did it backwards and did track for almost 10 years before starting autox last year, so im not uber competitive just yet.
We'll have to meet up at an autocross or trackday. There is a Chicago region SCCA autocross Saturday & Sunday event at Route 66 in Joliet this weekend. I'll be there on Sunday. I'm instructing with Xtreme Xperiance at Autobahn Friday and Saturday. I've gotta pay for this new to me car somehow . It'll be a good shakedown for me in the 350 on good tires.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:38 PM
Gunkata

Originally Posted by eye-5
We'll have to meet up at an autocross or trackday. There is a Chicago region SCCA autocross Saturday & Sunday event at Route 66 in Joliet this weekend. I'll be there on Sunday. I'm instructing with Xtreme Xperiance at Autobahn Friday and Saturday. I've gotta pay for this new to me car somehow . It'll be a good shakedown for me in the 350 on good tires.
My weekend is pretty full this time around, and that's funny, I have few buddies that instruct with Xtreme as well. We'll have to keep in touch for sure
Old 10-20-2015, 01:18 PM
eye-5

Tis a small world in the track day community. Xtreme helps keep me in tires and gets some track day bug out of my system. Plus I have soo many laps in at the tracks I work. I seriously go around the track non stop from 9:00AM - 11:30AM then 12:00PM - 5:00PM every time I work with them. It has to be close to a hundred laps a day. Helps burn the tracks into my brain. The downside is trusting x amount of strangers with your life.

Last edited by eye-5; 10-20-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:31 PM
Gunkata

ah yes, good points there, and that is a long day, but like you said, must help you learn the line like crazy, lol.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:37 AM
steidz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car is a blast in STU trim. Go with the HR if you can find the price you want.

The higher revving motor is a big help, My DE rev limiter is raised to 7000 and that is only good for 63ish. I hit it all the time.

Weight is not an issue when in STU trim. Guys at nationals were within 50lb of my DE.

Better tranny is a bonus too.

There is a couple of STU build threads out there that will tell you everything you need to be fully prepared. That set up also works good for the track. I will soften the rear bar a touch for the track and it's good to go.

Scott 96 STU.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:11 PM
eye-5

Thanks Steidz. I actually picked up a HR I'm converting from a touring to a grand touring for CS. I really like driving the car on the street, I'm going to keep it stock as possible for now. I'm even contemplating selling my daily.

When I get bored I may make the jump to STU.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:56 AM
eye-5

I have the aero package installed as well as the Brembo's. Due to rules I had to order all new stock lines. They were expensive and way over engineered.

I used a Motive power bleeder on the brakes and thought I got all of the air out but the pedal has a little too much travel for my liking. The brakes work fine, I'd just like them to work a little higher in the pedal. I'm not quite sure if it is the rubber lines but I think I'll try and activate the ABS a couple of times then re bleed with a buddy and the old brake pedal technique. Sometimes it can't be replaced.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:11 AM
Gunkata

what aero package? I added the Stillen front splitter, but am super picky on rear spoiler options, lol.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:44 AM
eye-5

what aero package? I added the Stillen front splitter, but am super picky on rear spoiler options, lol.
It's the stock aero package that came on the GT model. A chin spoiler and rear left and right diffusers. It isn't noticeable unless you are under the car. Even then it is just 3 pieces of plastic that help airflow under the car.

To convert from touring to the Grand Touring model I had to do the full conversion to everything that came on the GT model.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:52 PM
Gunkata

ok, I must not be that familiar with it, but I recall the little ones on the rear sides, yeah.

Quick Reply: introduction of a nissan guy, 350z for autocross and occasional track days