Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Ladies Track Car Set up

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 04:14 PM
B-radDetail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ladies Track Car Set up

Hi, I am not new to tracking but new to the platform. I have a C5 corvette track car and and NC miata track car. My family has a membership at a local private 3 mile road course. I was wanting to get my sister into track driving.

I purchased a 2006 350z Track pack with an auto so shifting was one less thing to for my sister to learn on track. The car has the V1 Rays and I used 235-255 18" Bridgestone RE71r and Hawk DTC60 with the factory Brembos.

I was very impressed with the car in stock form. My sister who has lived out of country and has not driven in 7 years, was the fastest learning student the instructors have seen. 3 days of beating up on men in much faster cars and beating the ladies track record (Audi R8 V10 plus) in a street car, she was through the outside of the Bridgestone's with stock camber.

I am looking for some recommendations to set the car for her. I have spent lots of time researching different setups but haven't found clear answers.

Wheels: I would like to purchase wheels in a square set up to run 275/35/18 or 275/40/17. I am maxed for with on the current wheels and need more front end grip.

What wheel, width and offset will work without spacers and allow rotation of the tires? 17" vs 18"?

Camber: The car needs more front camber. What set of upper control arms is recommended and will allow the correct amount of front camber for track use.

Suspension: Can a person get away with just sway bars and control arms?

I want to make sure the car is still compliant and forgiving and like the simplicity of shock spring combo vs Coilover. is that a worthwhile upgrade or am I just wasting money not going for coilovers.

I appreciate any help and recommendations.
Attached Thumbnails Ladies Track Car Set up-350z.jpg  
Old 05-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by B-radDetail
Wheels: I would like to purchase wheels in a square set up to run 275/35/18 or 275/40/17. I am maxed for with on the current wheels and need more front end grip.

What wheel, width and offset will work without spacers and allow rotation of the tires? 17" vs 18"?
I ran Enkei RPF1 18X10.5 +15 and ran 275's. The rear fenders need to be rolled. The fronts are rolled from the factory and you just need some camber for clearance. I was able to clear just fine with -2.5 degrees of camber, but ended up over -3 degrees once it was "dialed in".

Camber: The car needs more front camber. What set of upper control arms is recommended and will allow the correct amount of front camber for track use.
I have ran SPL A-arms and modified Kinetix A-arms. Both worked great, but the SPL's offered more adjustability (and seemed to have better build quality). Z1 has since offered their own A-arms, but I have no direct experience with them.

Suspension: Can a person get away with just sway bars and control arms?

I want to make sure the car is still compliant and forgiving and like the simplicity of shock spring combo vs Coilover. is that a worthwhile upgrade or am I just wasting money not going for coilovers.

I appreciate any help and recommendations.
An alignment and a set of adjustable sway bars will give you the ability to change the cars balance quite a bit. If you are unable to get the car to where you want it with that approach, both the A-arms and sway bars can be useful if you go with coilovers. My setup ended up deleting the rear sway in favor of 700lb rear springs/coilovers. It was fast, but the ride was rather harsh.

If your goal is "compliant and forgiving", you will probably end up with softer springs (coilovers or not) and still find the sway bars useful if you upgrade .

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 05-09-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:21 PM
GodISmE

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
My setup ended up deleting the rear sway in favor of 700lb rear springs/coilovers. It was fast, but the ride was rather harsh.
How many lb would it be with a true coilover set up?
Old 05-09-2017, 03:24 PM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

A/T cooler for sure if you are going to track it. Shift in manual mode, the auto down gear is too unpredictable for track use

You sure you want to start her with a square setup - a little under steer with a staggered setup might be better for a newbie. 18s with the auto.

I'd start with fucas with -3 camber setup and stick with the wheel setup for now -take it one step at a time.

Everything else i'm sure you know, fluid flushes, bleed brakes, track alignment ect.

Take it slow with the build.
That's my opinion...

Last edited by carbuffguy; 05-09-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:12 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GodISmE
We can't relocate the spring in STU, so I never did the homework on that question.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:11 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Convert to manual
Old 05-10-2017, 06:51 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by GodISmE
5k is very close to 12k in OEM rear
Old 05-11-2017, 01:47 PM
B-radDetail

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
I ran Enkei RPF1 18X10.5 +15 and ran 275's. The rear fenders need to be rolled. The fronts are rolled from the factory and you just need some camber for clearance. I was able to clear just fine with -2.5 degrees of camber, but ended up over -3 degrees once it was "dialed in".

I have ran SPL A-arms and modified Kinetix A-arms. Both worked great, but the SPL's offered more adjustability (and seemed to have better build quality). Z1 has since offered their own A-arms, but I have no direct experience with them.

An alignment and a set of adjustable sway bars will give you the ability to change the cars balance quite a bit. If you are unable to get the car to where you want it with that approach, both the A-arms and sway bars can be useful if you go with coilovers. My setup ended up deleting the rear sway in favor of 700lb rear springs/coilovers. It was fast, but the ride was rather harsh.

If your goal is "compliant and forgiving", you will probably end up with softer springs (coilovers or not) and still find the sway bars useful if you upgrade .
Thank you for the great information, I would prefer not having to roll the fenders so maybe a little less aggressive offset.

It sounds like A arms and proper alignment are key for this platform I will look into your suggested brands. I am glad to hear that A arms and
sways is a good place to start before moving to shocks and springs.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:03 PM
B-radDetail

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
A/T cooler for sure if you are going to track it. Shift in manual mode, the auto down gear is too unpredictable for track use

You sure you want to start her with a square setup - a little under steer with a staggered setup might be better for a newbie. 18s with the auto.

I'd start with fucas with -3 camber setup and stick with the wheel setup for now -take it one step at a time.

Everything else i'm sure you know, fluid flushes, bleed brakes, track alignment ect.

Take it slow with the build.
That's my opinion...
At cooler is a great idea. Do you have a recommendation for a kit?

I do like the idea of keeping some safe understeer. She has absolutely maxed out the grip level that can be provided by the 235 RE71r is the main reason I am looking for wider wheels. The tire size is limited by rim width. She burned off the set of fronts in 3 days and would like the ability to increase grip and rotate to extend life. I hope the additional front camber will help with grip and tire wear as well.

I just ordered new fronts in the same size for the staggered wheels. I will have her spend a few more days on that set up before making the jump to square. Thank you for your advice.

If I am going to upgrade the wheels, I figured square would be best so I am still looking for the perfect non roll, non spacer fitment.

Yep, all fresh fluids. The brembo calipers are hard on fluid. I have cooked Motul RBF600 twice. I will make sure bleed every 8 or so sessions. I have yet to cook the RBF in any of the other platforms.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:06 PM
B-radDetail

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Convert to manual
Hahaha I like the way you think... But the whole reason for the purchase of the Z was to add an auto to the fleet. I hope to have her driving one of our other manuals by the end of the summer!
Old 05-11-2017, 02:46 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Yep, all fresh fluids. The brembo calipers are hard on fluid. I have cooked Motul RBF600 twice. I will make sure bleed every 8 or so sessions. I have yet to cook the RBF in any of the other platforms.
Castrol SRF and never look back. RBF goes into my clutch, not my brakes.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:57 PM
B-radDetail

Originally Posted by guitman32
Castrol SRF and never look back. RBF goes into my clutch, not my brakes.

I think I will have to take your advice on that. Its not cheap, but nothing is in this sport! A lot cheaper than an off track excursion due to boiled fluid too!
Old 05-11-2017, 03:27 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Its double the price but its well worth it. I still bleed after every weekend but I have gone 3-4 single days without a bleed before. I do use titanium shims also.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:36 PM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

At cooler is a great idea. Do you have a recommendation for a kit?

I do like the idea of keeping some safe understeer. She has absolutely maxed out the grip level that can be provided by the 235 RE71r is the main reason I am looking for wider wheels. The tire size is limited by rim width. She burned off the set of fronts in 3 days and would like the ability to increase grip and rotate to extend life. I hope the additional front camber will help with grip and tire wear as well.

I just ordered new fronts in the same size for the staggered wheels. I will have her spend a few more days on that set up before making the jump to square. Thank you for your advice.

If I am going to upgrade the wheels, I figured square would be best so I am still looking for the perfect non roll, non spacer fitment.

I think Hayden makes a decent AT cooler
Old 05-12-2017, 08:02 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Hahaha I like the way you think... But the whole reason for the purchase of the Z was to add an auto to the fleet. I hope to have her driving one of our other manuals by the end of the summer!
You're a good sport. I like you. Best way to learn manual is to drive HARD. I knew people who have driven manual for years and still couldn't stop themselves from rolling on a hill or downshift properly to accelerate. I learned by being a 16yr old punk and driving like an *** in my 96hp car.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:26 AM
GodISmE

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
5k is very close to 12k in OEM rear
Christ so I'm really high with 9kg at the back (true coil. w/Swift springs) even without the rear bar! 14kg at the front feels great though.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:08 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you let your sister drive on her first track day and are thinking about dumping 2-4K into the car before another event?

I would take a second and figure out your long term goal and if your budget allows for it.

Also, teach her to drive a manual. If she's already somewhat fast, then take a step back, learn a new skill and try to go faster. That's part of the game anyway.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:11 PM
cyc5181

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

GREAT choice on the color! that's the best color on the Z
Old 05-17-2017, 02:54 PM
B-radDetail

Originally Posted by Voboy
So you let your sister drive on her first track day and are thinking about dumping 2-4K into the car before another event?

I would take a second and figure out your long term goal and if your budget allows for it.

Also, teach her to drive a manual. If she's already somewhat fast, then take a step back, learn a new skill and try to go faster. That's part of the game anyway.
I was committed to it before she even had her first track day! I bought the car for her to use on track before she ever set foot on track. It doesn't get daily driven and I'll use it if I'm ever waiting on parts for my other vehicles. She drove 4 days in a row and loves it.

Yes manual will be the next step for her. I will just need to find seat rails for the other cars that don't raise me too high as they are fixed buckets. The other cars are stripped caged race cars on slicks so quite a step up and she isn't quite there yet.

The track that I am a part of is a private members track where we get 15+ days a month of track time. Joining the track and that life style was the big commitment. I jumped in with two feet. The reason for mudding the car is to dial out understeer and hopefully increase tire wear at the same time and shaving a few seconds off lap times. With the stock tire size and camber, front tires only lasted 3 days. My other vehicles on square setups with proper alignment can get 6-8 days out of a set. I already have a couple sets of 275/35/18 RE71Rs from my M3 that I am no longer driving on track. So I would love to find some wheels that allow me to use them on the 350z.

I intend to keep the car for a while as it allows me to share my passion with other friends and family. Its an approachable car and excellent to learn on for anyone I invite to the track. I really enjoy driving it as well. Very capable from the factory, but I have a tough time leaving anything alone!
Old 05-17-2017, 02:56 PM
B-radDetail

Originally Posted by cyc5181
GREAT choice on the color! that's the best color on the Z
Thanks, I had never seen it before. I was looking for Track Pack with and auto and it happened to be in this colour.

My sister named it Ron Burgundy!