Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

17" wheel/tire options for BS

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 06:18 AM
j03yk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17" wheel/tire options for BS

Does anyone have any suggestions for lightweight 17" wheels that retain stock measurements and a recommended size race tire to go with the wheels?

I've seen a bunch of info for 17X9" rims and 18" rims, but I want to stay in BS (I have an enthus. model). I still have the stock rims/tires sitting in my basement, but I figure if I'm going to have to change them out anyways for autoX events, why not just get some race tires. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:02 PM
rktjhn

Best and cheapest bet is to use the stock rims and get some Kumho V700 in 255 all around. If the front and back are the same size you can rotate easily, otherwise you will wear out the front out side edge pretty fast on the front. The track has 2 differant size rims, I think the ent is the same all around. A guy here in town has the Kumho(255) on the stocker rims, if you go to Nat level events with after mkt rims some dink could protest, they won't at local stuff usually unless you start to win, they will for sure if you manage to place high at a nat event.
And save your money and don't heat cycle, just go out into a parking lot and do a few dozen doughnuts and run a little on the freeway. Tire rack will tell you also they won't fit, they do.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:11 AM
j03yk

Thanks for the info! It'd be pretty sweet if I had to worry about placing high at a Nat. level event, but this is my first year autoxing so no high hopes. Cheaper is better though, so I probably will stay with the stock wheels.

Is the guy running the 255s all around on stock 17" or 18" rims? IIRC, the stock 17s are not the same all around, but are 7.5"fr and 8"rr. The 255s would be just over 1" wider than the stock front tires so I just want to make sure there's no fitting issues or potential dangers in running a tire that wide.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:32 AM
mpowers

I have been running 245/45r17 on the oem wheel and I am now starting to rethink the idea on the front tires. They maybe just a little too wide. I still (after four autox's) have an 1/2 tread on the inside and out side thats not wearing much. While running from 24-26psi on kumho victoracers. The tire is just to wide for them rim. So on the next set I will change the front to 225/45r17 and leave the rear the same, they are wearing well. I would try a 235 front but kumho nor hoosier has a 235 race tire. And gonna go for hoosier tires this time as well.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:25 AM
j03yk

mpowers

What are the reasons you say the 245s are too wide for the rims...are there any specific negative effects?
Old 03-05-2004, 06:18 AM
rktjhn

The guy in SLC had the 17 inch rims. When I had the newer Kumho rubber I was at a 5-6 pound differential in air pressure, was 38 front and 33-34 rear, the Hoosier works well at 43 front and 36-37 rear. I had 2 sets of the 225's and wore them out fast even having them flipped, just not enough rubber. The 245 works very well, but has also worn out now. As an experiment I am going to try the old 265 up front this weekend, with the 275 Hoosier on the back.
The pressure differential is important, found by trial and error. Went to 30 in rear one time and could not keep the rear in place, with 33-34 the rear seems good with Kumho's. Up front some go as high as 45-50. Good luck and experiment!
Old 03-05-2004, 06:25 AM
rktjhn

Another tip is to go 1/4 toe out up front. Just break the big nut loose, crank 2- 1/2 turns toe out then relock, huge differance. Then after event just crank it the other way.
You can do it with the car on the ground, just turn wheel all the way right or left and you will see it is easy.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:11 AM
mpowers

This is just my own opinion. I think they are too wide in the area of turn in, tires allways turn after the wheel with this wide of tire there is even more of a delay. Also the tires are not wearing on the inside nor out side edges. And not trying to step on toes but if you run high psi such as 45-50 you are losing tracktion. The tire will even be more round across the tread and with too wide of tire on the rim is allready doing the same effect. Even if the tires are say 225 and run that high of pressure you will not use all the tire surface. So lower the pressure the more of the tire surface is contacting the ground surface. To show the best pressure set up for your car get a pryometer to measure tire temperature across the surface of the tire. Idealy the out side should be 10 degrees higher than inside to show not only proper alignment but air pressure as well. A higher temp in the center will indicate to much air pressure and lower with higher out side tread would indicate too low of pressure. If you would like pics of my front tires to show the effect let me know. Sorry for being long winded.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:53 AM
j03yk

mpowers
I actually appreciate you being long winded! I'm a noob to autoxing this year, so all the info helps. If you get a chance, go ahead and email me the pics of your tires. I hadn't considered a potential rounding of the tires from being too wide. Even with a little rounding though, I would have thought the outside of the fronts would still wear a lot quicker because of the lack of neg. camber on the Z??

How was the wear pattern on your 245s, rktjhn? And, how long did they last you? Since you're on Track rims though, maybe it won't be the best comparison to mpowers' tires...
If you happen to see the guy running the 255s on the stock 17s, can you ask him his opinion on the setup, or if he has any wear issues? Thanks a lot.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:13 PM
mpowers

Sent a pm. to you.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:11 PM
rktjhn

He is an 8 time national champ and his tires are my old ones when I owned a 99 Cobra Mustang. BTW 17 inch mustangs rims fit fine on the Ent model too, he did it for a couple of races.
The pyro thing is fine, I just came up with the pressures by trial and error last season running in about 45 events. The 225 is to narrow, the 245 and the adj sway bar really helped the car a lot.
Carter Thompson runs 275 all around, spacers and a real stiff sway bar.
I would always wear off the front outside edge, middle and inside where fine, the rears are still in great shape.
We have a 2 day event this weekend so I had the Kumho 265 mounted and will see how that works up front.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:01 PM
mpowers

rktjhn, are you running them on 17" rims? fronts are only 7 1/2 wide the rears are 8" wide. Could you host a pic as I can not and I will send a pic of my wheels and tires so you can judge for yourself on the tire wear. I would also like to see a pic of you'r set up. And yes I have seen Carter and Jims Z, sad to say that the day we raced (see soggy pro solo) was horrible so I had no chance to experince their setup on the course. Both of which are first class. So if you have some insight as why you would run 255 or even larger on a 7 1/2" rim I would gladley listen to what you thoughts are on it. It would be nice to even try it with out going broke on tires. Any one want to purchase two 245/45r17 with four races on them?
Old 03-08-2004, 05:03 AM
rktjhn

The 265 experiment worked out great, we drove our tails off Sat at a test n tune. I had one of the faster times, the little course was a great equalizer, not giving anything an advantage due to course design.
Sunday I also had a real good time, not sure where on PAX I got yet, probably top 10 I am sure.
Your 245 should work fine, play with the tire pressures. Driver input is also a huge one, if I went into a corner wrong even the 265 would push all over, if I went in right, the car sailed on around.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:04 AM
rktjhn

One guy had a pyro there and I had within 5 degrees at 42# in the front.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:26 AM
mpowers

Thanks for the input. I am going to recheck my tire pressure against the pyrometer again at the next event. I'll post what did what for me.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:35 PM
stx

Default Re: 17" wheel/tire options for BS

Originally posted by j03yk
Does anyone have any suggestions for lightweight 17" wheels that retain stock measurements and a recommended size race tire to go with the wheels?

I've seen a bunch of info for 17X9" rims and 18" rims, but I want to stay in BS (I have an enthus. model). I still have the stock rims/tires sitting in my basement, but I figure if I'm going to have to change them out anyways for autoX events, why not just get some race tires. Thanks for the help.
I would go with the stock 17's and go with the Yokohama A032R competition tire. I would use 245/40/17 all the way around.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:49 PM
LeMansZCa

are the Yoko and the Kumho good for track event? someone told me they are only good for Auto-X... track event will burn them up quickly..???? something aobut ourZ is heavy???

thanks
Old 05-06-2004, 05:50 PM
LeMansZCa

just subscribing to this thread
Old 05-08-2004, 07:20 AM
D_Nyholm

Originally posted by rktjhn
He is an 8 time national champ and his tires are my old ones when I owned a 99 Cobra Mustang. BTW 17 inch mustangs rims fit fine on the Ent model too, he did it for a couple of races.
The pyro thing is fine, I just came up with the pressures by trial and error last season running in about 45 events. The 225 is to narrow, the 245 and the adj sway bar really helped the car a lot.
Carter Thompson runs 275 all around, spacers and a real stiff sway bar.
I would always wear off the front outside edge, middle and inside where fine, the rears are still in great shape.
We have a 2 day event this weekend so I had the Kumho 265 mounted and will see how that works up front.
You fit the mustang wheels on the 350z without a hub spacer? I thought the hubs were completely different sizes and you need a ring to make them the right size? I am trying to get some real feedback on this for drag strip rims (I can get 2 mustang wheels for $100). Any help you could give would be appreciated!