Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Hot Power Steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 09:54 AM
C Ray Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Power Steering fluid

Is anyone found this problem. I had a track day and find the fluid temperature get to the 70 to 80C at the end. It then cools to about 50 in about an hour but the outside temperature is only 77F. What will it be when we have the 100F summers in the valley of Cali ?

any one put in the Nismo power steering cooler? Does it do the job of lowering the temperature?

Yuor experience is welcome.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:16 PM
350ed
Professional

How did you measure it???
Old 04-19-2004, 05:59 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes, I have read my temps with laser meter. It gets pretty hot here in Vegas. I usually have fluid all over the inside of my hood after several 30-40 minute track sessions. But, then...all of my cars have had the same problem. I'm thinking about bleeding the system and trying somethig else.

Suggestions???
Old 04-19-2004, 06:14 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the Nismo P/S cooler on my car, along with the Nismo engine oil cooler, Nismo Thermostat and Nismo diff heat sink. My cars temp gauge stays at 1/3 on the scale. As far as the P/S fluid... I've never measured it myself. Good thought... I'll have to look into this to see if these things make much of a difference.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:36 PM
C Ray Z

Default Questions on Coolers

Jeff @ Performance:

Do you have to blead the steering system after install or will the pump drain from the resivoir? Does the block have to be modified to add the oil cooler to the system or does it just bolt on?

What high temperature fluids do you reccomend for power steering and oil as well as rear end. I see the cost of these cooler items are moninal.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:16 AM
dwnshift

We are running a Setrab cooler for the PS on our 350Z's.
Yes for tracking its recomended.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:54 PM
C Ray Z

Originally posted by dwnshift
We are running a Setrab cooler for the PS on our 350Z's.
Yes for tracking its recomended.
Does this mount in the same place as the exisiting unit? What oil products did you use?

thanks for the help BJ

Ray
Old 04-21-2004, 07:41 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

The NISMO power steering cooler bolts up in the same spot as the stock unit...

after install you would have to bleed the system to make sure there are no bubbles in the cooler and the rest of the lines...

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...products_id=56
Old 04-21-2004, 10:54 AM
stx

I had to drill a hole on the radiator bracket to mount the driverside stay for the Nismo PS cooler. Don't let it scare you. It comes with a template to drill the hole. Changing it out was a cake job. Hardest part was taking off the clips that hold the cover for the bumber and that was a piece of cake.

Last edited by stx; 04-21-2004 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:16 PM
scubasteve

I might look into this......plan on tracking during my spare time this summer.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

check this out...

since running the UR Crank Pulley will underdrive the power steering fluid then it will move the power steering fluid slower through the cooler give it more time in the cooler...

Crank pulley + NISMO Oil Cooler = alot more time in the power steering cooler = Cooler fluid

Old 04-26-2004, 08:53 AM
UsafaRice

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
check this out...

since running the UR Crank Pulley will underdrive the power steering fluid then it will move the power steering fluid slower through the cooler give it more time in the cooler...

Crank pulley + NISMO Oil Cooler = alot more time in the power steering cooler = Cooler fluid

Jason, I don't know about this one. One of my hobbys is (unfortunately) building computers. I put watercooling equipment on the processors and such. For cooling performance, you generally want higher flow rate. Now the fluid in power steering isn't supposed to transfer heat so it changes things. Here's how I see it- maybe 1 of 2 ways.

molecule x of power steering fluid may spend more time in the cooler and get cooler, y and z still in the pump are getting hotter.

Of course, if the pump is underdriven, it won't do as much work and won't heat up the fluid as much.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:18 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by UsafaRice
Jason, I don't know about this one. One of my hobbys is (unfortunately) building computers. I put watercooling equipment on the processors and such. For cooling performance, you generally want higher flow rate. Now the fluid in power steering isn't supposed to transfer heat so it changes things. Here's how I see it- maybe 1 of 2 ways.

molecule x of power steering fluid may spend more time in the cooler and get cooler, y and z still in the pump are getting hotter.

Of course, if the pump is underdriven, it won't do as much work and won't heat up the fluid as much.
rite...

less heat from pump... plus more time in the cooler...

if putting in a larger PS Cooler (so the fluid spends more time in it) is suposed to cool off the fluid... then wouldnt it cool it even more if it spends even more time in the cooler?

This was tested recently...
Old 04-26-2004, 09:22 AM
UsafaRice

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
rite...

less heat from pump... plus more time in the cooler...

if putting in a larger PS Cooler (so the fluid spends more time in it) is suposed to cool off the fluid... then wouldnt it cool it even more if it spends even more time in the cooler?

This was tested recently...
Oh yeah, the larger cooler definitely cools it more! The time spent may be an issue as well, I just don't know if it's for the reasons we think it is or not.

A larger cooler gives more thermal capacity and surface area for the heat transfer to occur. That does cool off the fluid a lot more. I just don't know about dwell time. Either way, the results with underdriving the pump are better regardless of the means to get there.