Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Chamber/caster settings and tire pressures for AutoX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Kumacho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chamber/caster settings and tire pressures for AutoX?

First a bit of history:

I used to AutoX with a 2000 Camaro SS. What a pig! I finally worked out the best alignment and tire pressure settings for it. But that took me most of the season.

I'm trying to find out a good baseline setting for my Z, using stock tires (I'm running BS for now). After two events I'm lost. I'm sure a good portion of the horrendous understeer can be corrected with tire pressure adjustments and some alignment adjustments. I just need a god point to start out. Thanks for any input you all might have.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:34 AM
stx

On what type of suspension and tires?
Old 07-15-2004, 10:49 AM
phoenixZ33

I don't think camber is adjustable.. That was the first thing I looked up when I started AutoXing my car and a few people all told me it was non-adjustable in the front. All that rearlly leaves is rear camber, and front and rear toe. I haven't done any alignment changes yet however. The biggerst difference so far has been going to 245 width tires front and rear, that reduced a lot of the oversteer and made the car much easier to rotate on demand. But yes, I'm also curious about alignment settings for AutoX
Old 07-15-2004, 02:15 PM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a list of my settings up here http://solo2.org/blogs/christoc/arch...06/14/386.aspx

IMO on the stock tires you're going to be hard pressed to get rid of the understeer problems. The best way would be to enter the corners slower, seriously.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:31 PM
Kumacho

Originally posted by christoc
I've got a list of my settings up here http://solo2.org/blogs/christoc/arch...06/14/386.aspx

IMO on the stock tires you're going to be hard pressed to get rid of the understeer problems. The best way would be to enter the corners slower, seriously.
I guess I could change to the street tire class. I kind of like the new Nitto 555 extreme II's. I put a set of those on my Camaro and was considerably faster. It's just that the Street tire class is so competitive and I'm kind of a newb to AutoX, with only 2 seasons under my belt.

I do tend to enter the corners slower than I would expect I could. But still some corners induce understeer like mad. Through the slalom the car seems to really be neutral. I guess that is because the slalom is pretty high speed.

Thanks for the info christoc. I always look to those with experience for help.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:56 AM
DmitryZ

Originally posted by Kumacho
I guess I could change to the street tire class. I kind of like the new Nitto 555 extreme II's. I put a set of those on my Camaro and was considerably faster. It's just that the Street tire class is so competitive and I'm kind of a newb to AutoX, with only 2 seasons under my belt.

I do tend to enter the corners slower than I would expect I could. But still some corners induce understeer like mad. Through the slalom the car seems to really be neutral. I guess that is because the slalom is pretty high speed.

Thanks for the info christoc. I always look to those with experience for help.
I don't think a Z can compete in STU because it is a 2 seater...

edit: just found this
http://www.scca.org/garage/forum/for...p?TID=369&PN=1