Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Harness bar discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to digup old topics...

I'm about to chose a week-end lapper car (Z or RX-8, still undecided) and I'll probably get a rollbar/rollcage installed.

Originally posted by daveh
Can anyone comment on this question?
It would seem like in the event of a frontal impact, the mounting point shown below would take most of the brunt of the force. Would this hold??
This seems more than adequate to keep you in place in the event of a collision. Actually, I'd be more worried of the chassis bending back and choking you in the seat. Reason to get an adjustable seat that would brake under that kind of effort.

The discution took a few direction. I'd like to comment on Redline350Z's comment about slaming into the steering before the airbag openned. If you get into that kind of accident with an harness, youd' probably snap your neck first. Killed a guy from my Subaru Club a few year back...

Daveh, do you have more pictures ? Did you get the bar in the end ?

Side note, flipped in my friends Impreza over Christmass vacations... I'm definitely NOT getting a harness without a rollbar !
Old 01-13-2005, 05:36 PM
daveh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going with a custom bar install. After looking a the sheetmetal behind the seat, the installer and myself decided that we didn't feel comfortable with the way the kirk bar mounted. The pad is only about 1" wide and most organizations require 3" pad at the bottom of the bars. He suggested welding additional support pads in that area but that would cost enough money to warrant just going full custom. The other reason I didn't go with the kirk was because it doesn't look like it will work well for taller drivers. If you keep your seat back, it sits right next to it and blocks the side airbag (if so equipped). My custom bar will be of similar design to the autopower and even have the removable diagonal and harnessbar so it will be very stealth on the street. It will follow the b-pillar more closely like the autopower and other custom setups that others have posted here and will sit farther away from my head.
I'll post a pic after it's installed in a few weeks.
One thing that kirk doesn't advertise is that they can also make their diagonal and crossbar removable. It wouldn't be a bad option for those getting their bar because the diagonal takes away a lot of passenger seat travel.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:53 PM
C Ray Z

Originally posted by daveh
I'm going with a custom bar install. After looking a the sheetmetal behind the seat, the installer and myself decided that we didn't feel comfortable with the way the kirk bar mounted. The pad is only about 1" wide and most organizations require 3" pad at the bottom of the bars. He suggested welding additional support pads in that area but that would cost enough money to warrant just going full custom. The other reason I didn't go with the kirk was because it doesn't look like it will work well for taller drivers. If you keep your seat back, it sits right next to it and blocks the side airbag (if so equipped). My custom bar will be of similar design to the autopower and even have the removable diagonal and harnessbar so it will be very stealth on the street. It will follow the b-pillar more closely like the autopower and other custom setups that others have posted here and will sit farther away from my head.
I'll post a pic after it's installed in a few weeks.
One thing that kirk doesn't advertise is that they can also make their diagonal and crossbar removable. It wouldn't be a bad option for those getting their bar because the diagonal takes away a lot of passenger seat travel.
I would like to see it when you have completed the install. Is the installer close by?
Old 03-04-2005, 01:53 AM
scubasteve

Still in progress............
Old 03-06-2005, 08:30 PM
mbonanni1856

For those who are only looking the tight grip that harnesses can have so you don't slide around the car, look at the CG Lock. At $40 it is alot cheaper than a roll bar and harnesses and it keeps you planted in the seat so you can concentrate on driving. Here is a link...

http://www.cg-lock.com

For safety reasons, I would install a roll bar if you do track days. These CG-Locks work great for Autocross though!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:09 AM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CG lock only locks the lap belt portion of your stock 3 point belts, does NOTHING to hold your shoulders in the seat.

Their own words "The shoulder harness stays loose (just like normal) so you can still easily reach controls on the dashboard."

Sorry, that "Gismo" fails at doing what I want a harness to do.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:07 AM
Z33

Good to secure the occasional screaming passenger, though...
Old 03-07-2005, 08:44 AM
mbonanni1856

I use it and I love it. It keeps you from moving side to side and thats it. I am not claiming that the CG Lock is a safety devise, but it does keep you planted in the seat.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:33 AM
scubasteve

Updates:

http://img202.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img2...10001927ni.jpg
http://img202.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img2...10001937ab.jpg
http://img202.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img2...10001945qi.jpg
http://img202.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img2...10002006qr.jpg
http://img202.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img2...10002019pg.jpg
http://img202.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img2...10002021nu.jpg

Last edited by scubasteve; 03-17-2005 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:39 AM
phile

Tomzz: I am intrested to see pics of your rollbar.

I don't know if I want to have a custom one made or not...

Scubasteve: How much was yours?