Notices

Rear Wiper Removal (with pictures!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 07:17 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Wiper Removal (with pictures!)

Nice weather and a boring weekend ... so I took off my rear window wiper. Pretty simple. On my scale of one to five "Z's" I rate this one a single "Z". The only "difficult" parts are searching Home Depot on a Saturday afternoon and pulling the plastic panel off the interior of the hatch lid.

Just in case you haven't seen it done before ... remove the plastic trim from the wiper by gripping the bottom with fingers of both hands near the bottom and gently pull outwards and upwards.

Use a 12 mm socket or wrench to remove the one bolt.

Grab the wiper arm and wiggle it back and forth will pulling upwards ... it will come off.

Remove the plastic interior cover by gripping it with your fingers and tugging outwards. Rescue any orange trim holding pieces with a pair of diagonal pliers slipped under any remaining cuff. Once the trim piece is off remove the three 10 mm bolts that hold the washer motor to the trunk lid.

Remove the wire retaining clip by gripping the sides from the bottom and squeezing. Now press the two legs back though and it will come off. Press the white tab down and remove the power connector.

Remove the gasket from the hole.

Secure the loose connector with a wire tie and an anchor. I wrapped it in electrical tape to prevent rattles.

The stopper is a faucet stopper used to fill an empty faucet hole above a sink. I bought the almond colored one and spray painted it with Krylon gloss black. I also took a marker and painted the edge of the foam gasket black.

Pop that stopper in the hole with the gasket on top, thread the plastic nut on from the bottom and tighten. I added a bit of super glue to the threads as I tightened. Replace the interior plastic trim snapping each retaining clip into its matching hole.

The result is a small black lump on the passenger's side.

And a cleaner looking back end.

15 minute job once you paint the stopper to match your car's color. This thing has been off my car for months and months. The car doesn't do rain but I do wash it pretty often and no leaks so far.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:23 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could swear you posted this before........ maybe im going crazy..... regardless.. great thread!
Old 12-16-2006, 07:27 AM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks, I'm doing this right now. I swear my black plastic shrouding is welded on. Any tips on where to remove it or grip it first? I don't want to damage it obviously
Old 12-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by jonb7007
I could swear you posted this before........ maybe im going crazy..... regardless.. great thread!
No you're not crazy but the moderators aren't moving them here so I did. There was one from 2003 moved here without pictures which spurred me to do this one.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:24 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
Thanks, I'm doing this right now. I swear my black plastic shrouding is welded on. Any tips on where to remove it or grip it first? I don't want to damage it obviously
Not welded. Like the discription says - grip the bottom sides and pull out and upwards. If it breaks, it breaks right?
Old 12-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I've been considering this as well. might have to go ahead and do it. If I don't like just reinstall huh? LOL
Old 12-16-2006, 07:45 PM
flynbrin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice
Old 12-16-2006, 10:13 PM
2TH PWR

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
Not welded. Like the discription says - grip the bottom sides and pull out and upwards. If it breaks, it breaks right?
I know it's not welded, it's plastic. I was being sarcastic..... haha
Anyways I really don't want to have to go through the trouble of getting new black plastic trim. I was just wondering if there is somewhere you got it to loosen up first or something......
Old 12-19-2006, 06:33 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
I know it's not welded, it's plastic. I was being sarcastic..... haha
Anyways I really don't want to have to go through the trouble of getting new black plastic trim. I was just wondering if there is somewhere you got it to loosen up first or something......
Just tug that thing and it will come off. Would it help if I took a close-up picture of the inside of the cover off so you can see the clips that you're trying to overcome? I think I've still got the parts sitting on my shelf. I'll try to add a picture tonight for you.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:41 AM
THE TECH

Another excellent write-up.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Doing mine right now. That wiper is a bytch to get off. LOL
Old 12-19-2006, 09:57 AM
2TH PWR

Just tug that thing and it will come off. Would it help if I took a close-up picture of the inside of the cover off so you can see the clips that you're trying to overcome? I think I've still got the parts sitting on my shelf. I'll try to add a picture tonight for you.
that would be pretty cool actually.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:15 AM
06blueZ

Paul, I think you and 2th power are talking about 2 differend covers. He is talking about the trim on the inside of the hatch i think... I have the same question, any tricks to get the inside hatch trim off without breaking any clips?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:28 PM
brandonanix

I agree, I got the wiper off, but when it came to the plastic trim, I had no idea where to start, to begin peeling it off the car. the description given doesnt really help at all, since there isnt even one place to squeeze your fingers into, but posting that picture of the back, so we can all see the clips would really help out alot!!

and of course thank you for taking the time to show us all how to do this
Old 12-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

I used a flat head screw driver to help pop the molding off. It take a little bite of muscle but it will come off.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by 06blueZ
Paul, I think you and 2th power are talking about 2 differend covers. He is talking about the trim on the inside of the hatch i think... I have the same question, any tricks to get the inside hatch trim off without breaking any clips?
Ah, yes the inside plastic lining.

I used a flat blade screw driver covered with black electrical tape to prevent scratching. Once you get a couple of the clips popped out you can get your fingers under there and tug.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:48 AM
2005daytonaZ

Just joined the club today...I know the paint doesnt match all that way but it was a quick job and plan on getting it painted when I get my spoiler soon. Hope you enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Wiper Removal (with pictures!)-nowiper1.jpg   Rear Wiper Removal (with pictures!)-nowiper2.jpg  
Old 12-26-2006, 03:01 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Hmm wonder how much it all weighed?
Old 12-26-2006, 07:50 PM
iilljlllii

i am having trouble taking off the plastic cover under the hatch... how do you take that off?
Old 12-26-2006, 09:31 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I originally had a lot of trouble taking the actual wiper off.. the wiggle wouldn't work for me... the trick I learned is to turn it counter-clockwise.. and keep spinning it around and around until it eventually comes off.. be careful and don't scratch the paint tho!

The other problem I had was taking the interior trim off the hatch .. but i read somewhere that if you use a plastic spatula and slide it under it pops off rather easy..

there's also a user on 3 5 0 Z m o t o r i n g . c o m that sells perfect fit prepainted body color fill holes for the Z for like $15 shipped

--mike

Quick Reply: Rear Wiper Removal (with pictures!)