Notices

DIY: automatic side mirror folding

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 12:59 PM
philude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank God someone stepped up. i was about to buy JDM mirrors.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:22 AM
KPierson
Banned

The KPtech module won't allow for 'folding' the mirrors. It will only tilt the mirrors when the car is in Reverse.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:43 AM
XuperXero

Originally Posted by z350boy
There is a company with a better solution. They are producing an electronic module that integrates into the wiring and will:
(1) have the mirrors tilt down when the reverse gear is engaged
(2) allow motorized folding
look for http://www.kptechnologies.com
Can't find on the website...
Old 04-06-2007, 12:49 PM
KPierson
Banned

Check out the support forum, www.kptechnologies.com it has its own section under the products category. It hasn't been released yet.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:48 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe this is a stupid question... but what is the significant with folding your mirrors in and out with a button or automatically? Do you guys fold your mirrors in so much that you want to make this electronic?
Old 04-07-2007, 04:50 AM
KPierson
Banned

When parking on the street some people like to fold their mirrors in to prevent them from being hit by passing cars.

It would be interesting to get a hold of the JDM housing/motor and see if it can be replicated state side.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:08 AM
ZlleH

That was the only thing I could think off, so I went out to check out how far out the mirror is from the actual car body itself. Turns out, it's about 2 inches further out measuring from the front fender flare.

So, if a car was going to be that close to you, you wouldn't just be worried about the side mirror, you would worry about your whole side being scraped.

And really, I haven't heard of anyone complaining about getting their side mirror hit when parking up here. Maybe it's a chronic problem in other countries.

Originally Posted by KPierson
When parking on the street some people like to fold their mirrors in to prevent them from being hit by passing cars.

It would be interesting to get a hold of the JDM housing/motor and see if it can be replicated state side.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:47 AM
XuperXero

It's a pretty big problem in China and Japan. They park DAMN close, barely to even get out of the car
Old 04-11-2007, 09:44 AM
GameBlouseS

lol I was reading the korean text then saw you had it listed down below
Old 04-11-2007, 09:56 AM
LAKERSFAN

i park in a small garage so i fold my driver side mirror when pulling in. Gives that extra couple of inches so i dont worry about taking my side mirror off. Would be a pretty cool option for me.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:06 AM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Barmats
That does look cool. What happens if someone tries to push the mirrors in by hand... will it damage the mechanism or will it just push inwards?
The mechanism is motorized. If you force push it by hand you will damage the unit.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:08 AM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leeboyNY
I got a pair of JDM side mirrors. Then I transplanted JDM side mirror motor units to my side mirrors. I also got a relay that controls side mirrors. <- automobile DIY online shops sell these relays. When I turn the key, mirrors automatically open and mirrors close when the key is out. The relay also has a switch to open and fold mirrors on demand.

Click here to watch the video

Relay wires:
Red wire: power
Blue wire: switch
Black: ground

JDM side mirrors have 5 wires:
Yellow, blue, purple wires: mirror movement control.
Pink and orange wires: folding motor control

Wouldn't it be easier to but the JDM units and exchange the glass with the USDM version???
Old 05-12-2007, 05:14 AM
killerlexus
Banned for Scamming

Originally Posted by ZlleH
That was the only thing I could think off, so I went out to check out how far out the mirror is from the actual car body itself. Turns out, it's about 2 inches further out measuring from the front fender flare.

So, if a car was going to be that close to you, you wouldn't just be worried about the side mirror, you would worry about your whole side being scraped.

And really, I haven't heard of anyone complaining about getting their side mirror hit when parking up here. Maybe it's a chronic problem in other countries.

2inch of space is 2 inch of space. if you mirrir was folded he be able to get by. if your mirrors werent folded, he'd probably take it off trying to get by..
parking in the city is mandatory to fold the mirror in. if not chance are it will be hit sooner or later. driving in the city you learn to fit through tight spots. between cars and trucks double parked and bicycle riders all around ,you learn to make every inch around you count.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:23 AM
killerlexus
Banned for Scamming

Originally Posted by ZlleH

2 inch of space is 2 inch of space. in the city thats alot, people drive very very close. trying to fit through any gap to get by. cars are always double parked and peope park far from the curb on tight streets. and these huge suv's are ususally owned by noobs that cant drive down tight streets so they end up taking mirrors out with the passenger side. this happens ALOT in the city.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:58 PM
350zrn35

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default auto-folding mirrors

anyone has the JDM motorized mirrors + the JDM auto folding wiring harness and successfully had them installed?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:09 PM
350zrn35

Default relay !

does it come with some detailed instruction in English? I have a pair of JDM ones too + OEM JDM auto folding harness but I couldnt figure out how to wire it up! Could you send me the link of the company and email me a copy of your wiring instruction? thanks

Originally Posted by leeboyNY
I got a pair of JDM side mirrors. Then I transplanted JDM side mirror motor units to my side mirrors. I also got a relay that controls side mirrors. <- automobile DIY online shops sell these relays. When I turn the key, mirrors automatically open and mirrors close when the key is out. The relay also has a switch to open and fold mirrors on demand. ..

Click here to watch the video

Relay wires:
Red wire: power
Blue wire: switch
Black: ground
b
JDM side mirrors have 5 wires:
Yellow, blue, purple wires: mirror movement control.
Pink and orange wires: folding motor control
Old 05-18-2007, 11:33 PM
350zrn35

Default Auto folding mirror relay

I need the relay, where did you buy it? Link pls! And by any chance do you how to wire it up with the JAP Spec auto folding harness? THanks
Old 05-18-2007, 11:37 PM
350zrn35

Default relay

To leeboyNY, your msg box is FULL. I would like to ask you some questions, could you delete some old msgs? Thanks
Old 05-27-2007, 06:27 AM
joekool

Where to get the relay from?

Last edited by joekool; 07-04-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:32 PM
joekool

anyone??

Quick Reply: DIY: automatic side mirror folding