Notices

DIY: Painting '06- Headlights.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im also thinking about painting the projector housing diamond met. black... What ya think?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:51 PM
bapestah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you guys sanding any parts of the reflectors b4 painting?
Old 10-19-2009, 05:34 AM
Mini Bagels

Originally Posted by bapestah
Are you guys sanding any parts of the reflectors b4 painting?
I can't speak for anyone else, but I used a worn scotch bright scuff pad and dish soap with water to prep them. Then primed them, then the paint. It's the same process I use when I paint cars. However, if you use a brand new scotch bright pad, they have the tendency to leave scratch marks. If you don't have one lying around, I'd just use 600 grit sand paper and wet sand them.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:53 AM
gr8scott_o

Originally Posted by Mini Bagels
I can't speak for anyone else, but I used a worn scotch bright scuff pad and dish soap with water to prep them. Then primed them, then the paint. It's the same process I use when I paint cars. However, if you use a brand new scotch bright pad, they have the tendency to leave scratch marks. If you don't have one lying around, I'd just use 600 grit sand paper and wet sand them.
I took it to the extreme and had them blasted with baking soda, but that was because I screwed them up too much trying to use sand paper to "scuff" it up. If I had it to do all over again, I would just clean it with rubbing alcohol to get any finger prints off of it, let it dry, and shoot right over the chrome surface. I think that is what most ppl do anyway.

Would have loved to have known about the used scotch-brite trick.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:54 AM
gr8scott_o

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Im also thinking about painting the projector housing diamond met. black... What ya think?
You have black volks now, right? I think it would look bad-a$$
Old 11-15-2009, 09:16 AM
SweetDreamZ

I know this has been covered probably a million times...but i've been searching and failing to find an answer all weekend...so...

I have an 03 with projectors, but am swapping to the blacked out 06's. I've got it all done, but when I plug it in, the turn signal is on as a running light, and then flashes brighter for turn signals. I remember reading it was a simple cut of 1 wire to fix this, but can't find which one it is. Any help would be appreciated...hoping to get them back in today...
Old 11-15-2009, 01:44 PM
gr8scott_o

Originally Posted by SweetDreamZ
I know this has been covered probably a million times...but i've been searching and failing to find an answer all weekend...so...

I have an 03 with projectors, but am swapping to the blacked out 06's. I've got it all done, but when I plug it in, the turn signal is on as a running light, and then flashes brighter for turn signals. I remember reading it was a simple cut of 1 wire to fix this, but can't find which one it is. Any help would be appreciated...hoping to get them back in today...
See below...

https://my350z.com/forum/attachments...-06-06bulb.jpg
Old 11-17-2009, 01:32 PM
SweetDreamZ

Originally Posted by gr8scott_o
probably should have done it this way...but ended up figuring it out that night. Just cut the blue wire on the headlight itself that leads to those lights. Oh well, I was so frustrated that I just wanted it done. I ended up burning a line in the lens of the lights...they tipped back when I shut the oven door...and I didn't know it. The lens was resting on the top heating element for about 7 minutes at 205...turns out that's enough to melt it. S.O.B. Wanted to fix it, but had put too much time in already and just wanted it done...so for now...it's staying.

I now have to get rid of my 2003 HIDs that are fully blacked out...with smoked reflectors. This car never ceases to be a money pit for me!
Old 12-26-2009, 09:53 PM
ROCA Z

Originally Posted by tight350z
my stress cracks actually formed from putting vynil on mine... they were like that before i even pulled them off the car..im not so sure about the pulling apart theory but anythings possible..

heres some shots of mine i did w/ the halo too..gloss black

i have a question I'm in the process to painting mine and also do some mod like the halos.... can the light from the HID bulb be enough to illuminate the sanded clear sections of projector housing???? or i have to do halos obligated???? please answers!!!!! thank you!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Los350Z

was wondering if anyone has painted the housing in white? I see the blue housings pix and they look nice..
Old 12-31-2009, 05:47 PM
Steve-O Z33

Has anyone tried using that anthracite wheel paint? I am skeptical that I'll mess up but I'm tempted to try this.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

I wouldnt practice on these Steve....
Old 01-18-2010, 09:16 AM
quick5oh

So I did my housings over the weekend and think they look great.. However I somehow missed a section of paint on one of the pieces.. It isn't very noticeable, but it may be something that will bother me.. What do you guys think? Do it over again or just live with it?

Section where I missed the paint.. No idea how I didn't notice this when I was putting them back together.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Checkmate58

Name:  dslight.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  52.9 KB
Name:  pslight.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  52.8 KB

I did mine over the weekend. What takes the longest is letting the paint cure. I waited over night. I also primered first then painted on a few coats.

I didn't change my turn signal lights. I couldn't find any stores that had the above bulbs in stock. They didn't have them at Autozone, Pep Boys, or Kragen. I got a feeling though that the clerks were just too lazy to walk down the aisles and look for them. Instead they looked on their computer and that was that.

You guys should also change out your parking lights. The stock ones are yellow-white which is pretty ugly. I opted not to put that dimple clear plastic piece on nor the squarish shaped piece in front of the turn signal bulb. It was yellowish in color so I just said forget it. It's just a matter of if you like it or not.

One more thing, when you are putting the lights back together, it is going to be very difficult to not get silicone on the out surface of the headlight. I'm not sure if masking tape would survive 250 degree heat but if you guys try and it works, let the others know. In case you can't mask off the headlights, have some Windex handy and a microfiber towel. You can usually get the silicone off while the headlight is still warm from the baking. Just use some muscles.

By the way, I used high temp engine primer and high temp gloss black paint.

Last edited by Checkmate58; 01-18-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:06 PM
tight350z
Banned

goo-gone will also take the stuff off easily.. if u get it on any of the parts that is..
Old 02-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Mescaline

Does anyone have pictures of actual colored ones on the car? I've been thinking of doing this on my red z. Don't know how it will look though so kind of hesitant.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Checkmate58

Originally Posted by Mescaline
Does anyone have pictures of actual colored ones on the car? I've been thinking of doing this on my red z. Don't know how it will look though so kind of hesitant.

Found that in member's ride section. Not my cup of tea though.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Mescaline

Originally Posted by Checkmate58
Found that in member's ride section. Not my cup of tea though.
Yeah I agree, glad I haven't done it now. I may just end up leaving them or black I'll go back and forth haha.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Moncada90
Banned

im thinking of doing this this weekend! how long is the whole process, u think if i start tomorrow mooring i have them back in my car by sunday night?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:46 PM
gr8scott_o

Originally Posted by Moncada90
im thinking of doing this this weekend! how long is the whole process, u think if i start tomorrow mooring i have them back in my car by sunday night?
Yes, but some would advise you let the paint cure longer before sealing them up. If you can go without your car for a couple of days, then give them 24 hours or more. Open them up tonight, paint them first thing in the morning, them put them back together Sunday afternoon, say after the superbowl.

Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Painting '06- Headlights.