Notices

Clean install of six 52mm gauges

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:55 AM
scenehouser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clean install of six 52mm gauges

Hey guys,

Today I pretty much finished the install of six 52mm STRI gauges in the door of the center console cubby and thought I would share.

I chose this location because I always try to minimize the amount of modification needed and because I like clean OEM-like solutions. The center console itself is untouched making the cubby with gauges a removable unit which is nice when you need to do some work on them. I was even able to keep the door functional although it can't open far because the gauges hit the center console. I do think I can just sqeez my hand in far enough to reach the little buttons on the back of the gauges that you use to setup the warning led.

The biggest issue with this way of mounting is the fact that in order to make room for the upper right and upper left gauge you need to grind away the plastic where the mounting points of the door are located. I solved this by pouring 2-component polyester resin (bonds well to hard plastics) around the "screwtubes". I made a little mould by building a little dam of maskingtape. After that I could grind as much plastic as way as I needed.

Another tricky part is the actual measuring and cutting of the holes because of the spherical shape of the door. I used a hole saw of 51mm for that. First I made round cardboard templates of 52mm and just moved them around to see what locations would work best for the gauges. I measured the drill locations on the back of the door (easier than the front) with one of those clear plastic flexible measure triangles kids you used at school for mathematics. I took the smallest metal drill I could find and gradually went bigger and bigger till I could use the hole saw. After that I filed each hole by hand to the right size. I didn't have enough nerve to use the Dremel for this.

The metal support bracket of the door also needed a lot of grinding and I glued the remaining parts back with a type of kit/glue we call montage glue here in The Netherlands. I chose this because it needed to fill a lot of space between the bracket and the door.

All the surfaces I glued (and resined) I first degreased and scratched the hell out with a little file andfor extra grip.

The rest is just cutting and grinding away with your Dremel tool.

The only thing left to do is grind a half circle out of the button which I will then glue onto the little plastic bracket that used to hold the push mechanism. I had to grind that mechanism so the springs are gone.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Shawz1102

Props for the install, but it just doesn't look OEM... you can tell that you drilled 6 holes into the cubby.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:50 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hell that's a lot of gauges! I am thinking a extra 10 or 15 horsepower.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:04 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I do not approve.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Gumby Gone Wild

Originally Posted by Shawz1102
Props for the install, but it just doesn't look OEM... you can tell that you drilled 6 holes into the cubby.
Agreed. I can't picture 6 extra gauges looking oem anywhere
Old 01-02-2011, 03:48 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

How's the visibility of the rightmost pair of gauges since they point away from you?
Old 01-02-2011, 05:37 PM
headhunterx

The only thing to say is:
Attached Thumbnails Clean install of six 52mm gauges-doublefacepalm.jpg  
Old 01-02-2011, 09:37 PM
SoldzMyZ

Yeah hate to pile on but why not put the gauges in the cubby hole? Thatd make it cleaner as opposed to putting them on the door. It reminds me of a spiders billion eyes imo.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 AM
scenehouser

thnx for the feedback guys. i've learned a lot.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:05 AM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

A final pic of it installed in the car might be interesting
Old 01-03-2011, 05:33 AM
SSNOS

IMHO I think you would be much better off fabbing up a nice fiberglass insert to replace the door. A for effort, but looks like something straight from the Wonka factory.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:39 AM
derekinthez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks bad with the cubby button missing - not OEM like to me.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Erik@R/Ttuning

Cool. I dig people doing new things and it looks pretty clean in the end.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:54 AM
scenehouser

thnx erik.

i really needed that after all that hate.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:24 AM
scenehouser

okay i just installed the gauges including the wiring although i haven't hooked up the sensors yet.

i'm very pleased with the result... it looks (in my mind) very clean. if these gauges didn't have the high edge it would look even better.

glare looks worse on these pix than it really is although it might be a problem on sunny days.. dunno yet.. i connected them in a way they always have the dimmed backlight since i always drive with my lights on anyways.. so there is still the option to turn the backlight to full or get some anti glare caps. hopefully the warning LED will be bright enough to be clearly visisble in any lighting condition as that is the most important info in my mind.

readability of all gauges is fine although you will read the wrong value on some because of perpective but i don't find that a problem because you will learn where the needle should be at normal operation.

i chose these stri gauges because them have a programmable warning LED and i'm pretty sure i will notice a warning LED blink when looking straight ahead while driving.

tonight i will make some pix in the dark and post them.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:01 AM
nismo_nate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

well it doesn't look oem, and seems out of place. overall nice execution

maybe a custom mold to hold all those gauge in the cubbys place. like totally remove the lid and have all 6 gauges in a angle towards the driver
Old 01-06-2011, 06:08 AM
scenehouser

Originally Posted by nismo_nate

maybe a custom mold to hold all those gauge in the cubbys place. like totally remove the lid and have all 6 gauges in a angle towards the driver
yeah that is not a bad idea.. maybe i will give that a try once i'm done with my vortech project.

for now this is fine.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:10 AM
tthomas417

Great install. Though I prefer A-pillars, I have to give you credit for trying something new and taking the time to do it right. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:13 AM
abushong504

Originally Posted by nismo_nate

Agreed. I think if you had a mold surround, it would look less out of place. But I give you props for trying something different. If you like it and it works, awesome man.

Just don't turn into this guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL0Y1wIUg1g
Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 AM
scenehouser

hehe i always say you cannot have too much information but that guy is def. a bit of a gauge nutter (:

i have installed these gauges: oil temperature, water temperature, egt, boost, wideband afr and fuel pressure.

i will be going FI and build (later on) and I will do the tuning/mapping myself which I still need to learn. I'm reading several books on the subject right now and from the info I've read I decided these six gauges would be a good idea.

Gauges are cheap and they can be the difference between a working motor or a blown one and they will also help me with pinpointing problems while tuning.

Quick Reply: Clean install of six 52mm gauges