Notices

DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install

Old 06-05-2004, 08:13 PM
gt3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

23. Here is a picture of the steering side of the spiral cable. The colors corresponds to those on the diagram.
Attached Thumbnails DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install-22-2.jpg  
Old 06-05-2004, 08:14 PM
gt3

24. Reinstall all pieces in reverse order. The large nut holding the steering wheel in place should be torqued to 22-28 ft-lbs. The air bag bolts should be torqued to 44-121 ft-lbs (No wonder they were so hard to remove!!).

25. Wire and then program the PAC Audio SWI-X per its instructions for Nissan. Use the diagram above to guide your wiring. The program version should be set to 3. I ended up selecting the area behind the shifter to store the unit. This way I can easily get to it to reprogram it if I have to.
Attached Thumbnails DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install-24.jpg  

Last edited by gt3; 06-05-2004 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:15 PM
gt3

26. Route the infrared signal transmitter to an area where there will be direct line of sight to your headunit’s remote sensor. I ended up choosing the door for the passenger storage pocket. You have to open up the door and Dremel a bit to get the wire to fit. It works well except when you deliberately place your arm or move across the center section.
Attached Thumbnails DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install-25-1.jpg  

Last edited by gt3; 06-05-2004 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:17 PM
gt3

27. Here is a view of the storage pocket door opened. Look, Ma…No wires!!
Attached Thumbnails DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install-26.jpg  
Old 06-05-2004, 08:19 PM
gt3

This completes the DIY. Hopefully you won't take as much time as I did (20+ hours).

After you are done, admire your work, listen to your stereo, control the music with left hand and hold on to the beer with your right

Last edited by gt3; 06-05-2004 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:27 PM
gt3

Almost forgot to post a photo of the finished product...
Attached Thumbnails DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install-wheel1.jpg  
Old 06-05-2004, 08:46 PM
mike8879576

i tried to follow your DIY. but after the third step, my air bag blew up and.........

just kidding. great work. i am glad i was part of this DIY (small part, trying to figure out the harness).

now that you have completed this, you may want to get some sleep, as you have put in at least 50 hours for this.

you are one F**** freak, but neverthless, a great contributation to mankind.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:37 PM
gt3

Correction to the tamper proof bolt torque specs: should be 4-10 ft-lbs., not 44-121 ft-lbs.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:13 AM
ACP

Excellent step by step man!
Here I thought I was going to be the 1st and only one
Another nut as crazy as me.

Originally posted by gt3
13. If you have cruise control, you will need to still use your original Nissan unit because the Infiniti one has an extra button for back-up camera next to the cruise control ON-OFF button. This extra button makes the ON-OFF switch work incorrectly.

This button is actually for radar on the cruise control. To control the distance it stays from the vehicle in front our you. It has 3 settings, thus the left and right botton
I also own a FX

So you tried to plug in the FX wiring plug directly in the z wiring harness, and it makes the ON-OFF switch work incorrectly ?
When I looked at the grey plug on the Inifiniti's, it seem to match up to what colors were on the z's.... (few colors that their were)

Last edited by ACP; 06-06-2004 at 03:16 AM.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:56 AM
NismoKid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gt3, thanks for the DIY! Now I have to go out and buy all those tools. Do you happen to have a picture of the wire that connects the cruise control feature?

ACP, how much did both the left and right side FX switches cost? Please put any updates if the cruise control still works even with the radar function.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:28 AM
gt3

Originally posted by ACP
Excellent step by step man!
Here I thought I was going to be the 1st and only one
Another nut as crazy as me.

This button is actually for radar on the cruise control. To control the distance it stays from the vehicle in front our you. It has 3 settings, thus the left and right botton
I also own a FX

So you tried to plug in the FX wiring plug directly in the z wiring harness, and it makes the ON-OFF switch work incorrectly ?
When I looked at the grey plug on the Inifiniti's, it seem to match up to what colors were on the z's.... (few colors that their were)
When I installed the infiniti cruise control unit, whenever the on-off button is pressed, the cruise light comes on solid as it should, but the set light also flashes. This does not happen with the Z cruise control unit installed. Of course I tried this while the car is stationary. Too chicken to try while the car is on the highway... I believe since that are only 2 wires (black and red) that comes out the cruise control unit, these buttons changes the resistance value within the circuit. The ECM must somehow receive a different value from the infiniti unit and gets confused. If you somehow get it to work though, let us know because I would love to have another button!!

Originally posted by NismoKid
gt3, thanks for the DIY! Now I have to go out and buy all those tools. Do you happen to have a picture of the wire that connects the cruise control feature?
Hi, here is picture of the ends of the wires that I cut off the Z cruise control, but on the infiniti, they are exactly the same color wires. Once you get the infiniti unit and compare the two, it will be obvious which two wires you should switch. They should plug into harness at positions 14 and 15 on the diagram.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:28 AM
gt3

Sorry forgot to post the photo:
Attached Thumbnails DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install-27.jpg  
Old 06-06-2004, 08:40 AM
NismoKid

I'm trying to see if there actually is a cruise control feature on my Base model that will only need buttons to activate (I haven't seen another Base owner try it yet).

I looked on Pinnicale Nissan & Infiniti's parts' site and this is what came up:

25550cG010 $69.89
Steering wheel - Steering wheel and trim - Remote control - W/active cruise
W/bose audio 2003 - 2004

25550cG000 $69.89
Steering wheel - Steering wheel and trim - Remote control - W/o active cruise
W/bose audio 2003 - 2004

Now does this include both sides of the steering wheel trim? Why didn't you order the non-active (no radar) cruise control switch?
Old 06-06-2004, 08:56 AM
gt3

I'm trying to see if there actually is a cruise control feature on my Base model that will only need buttons to activate (I haven't seen another Base owner try it yet).

I looked on Pinnicale Nissan & Infiniti's parts' site and this is what came up:

25550cG010 $69.89
Steering wheel - Steering wheel and trim - Remote control - W/active cruise
W/bose audio 2003 - 2004

25550cG000 $69.89
Steering wheel - Steering wheel and trim - Remote control - W/o active cruise
W/bose audio 2003 - 2004

Now does this include both sides of the steering wheel trim? Why didn't you order the non-active (no radar) cruise control switch?
Hi, I believe they do both come with left and right side pieces. I ordered mine with the cruise control just because they were the same price. I thought I would be getting more for my $$$. Turns out it was a good move because metal finish on the infiniti and the Z are different and you have to use either all infiniti or all Z to match the 2 sides correctly. The differnce in color is not as noticable compared to the other aluminum parts because they are located farther away. Hope this clarifies the issue.

Good luck on add the cruise control. You may want to check to see if you have a ASCD brake switch above the brake pedal to see if indeed you can just add a switch to activate the system.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:05 AM
NismoKid

I think that both part numbers give you both pieces (meaning both come with the cruise control). Since you ordered the "active" cruise control, it came like the one pictured in #13 on page one whereas the "non-active" cruise control will look like the stock 350Zs (#10 you pictured). I think that's why both are the same price. I'll call my dealership Monday to make sure.

Also, which tools won't I have to use since I won't be doing the infrared radio controls yet (I don't have an aftermarket hu yet)?

Edit: What does the ASCD switch look like?

Last edited by NismoKid; 06-06-2004 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:29 AM
gt3

I think that both part numbers give you both pieces (meaning both come with the cruise control). Since you ordered the "active" cruise control, it came like the one pictured in #13 on page one whereas the "non-active" cruise control will look like the stock 350Zs (#10 you pictured). I think that's why both are the same price. I'll call my dealership Monday to make sure.

Also, which tools won't I have to use since I won't be doing the infrared radio controls yet (I don't have an aftermarket hu yet)?

Edit: What does the ASCD switch look like?
You will not need the PAC SWI-X if you don't have an aftermarket headunit. However, I am not sure whether the stock stereo accepts any radio control signals. Also I am not sure how you can find out the wiring for the stock radio unless there is another Nissan which uses the same/similar headunit and has steering wheel radio controls - you can then check out that model's audio wiring diagram to get the info.

Here is the ASCD switch in the diagram:
Attached Thumbnails DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install-brake-swtich.jpg  
Old 06-06-2004, 09:47 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I noticed that this PAC interface

does not work with many SONY models. Has anyone ever tried it with the WX-7700MDX???

Need to know before I buy.

Thanks for sharing this knowledge.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:27 AM
NismoKid

Originally posted by gt3
You will not need the PAC SWI-X if you don't have an aftermarket headunit. However, I am not sure whether the stock stereo accepts any radio control signals. Also I am not sure how you can find out the wiring for the stock radio unless there is another Nissan which uses the same/similar headunit and has steering wheel radio controls - you can then check out that model's audio wiring diagram to get the info.

Here is the ASCD switch in the diagram:
Thanks for the picture, I'll be sure to check it sometime soon.

About the hu, the radio controls for the FX were made for the Bose headunit on the Infiniti. I don't know if it's the same one on the Touring model (internals that is), but it might be. By the looks of your seats, it looks like you have a touring model so it might have worked with the stock Bose hu if you still had it.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:39 PM
DmitryZ

Originally posted by gt3
7. Make sure you turn the steering wheel to the right until it locks. Using the 19mm socket wrench, loosen the bolt holding the steering wheel. Once removed, you should be able to remove the steering wheel. Also make note and mark the orientation of the wheel in relation to the shaft. You will see the front of the spiral cable unit in the picture,

WARNING: ***Make sure you do not turn the spiral cable unit too much.*** I made an extra turn without knowing and it messed up the VDC’s steering angle sensor until I figured out what was going on..

Nice write up!!!
How did you fix the Steering Sensor? Did you reset the sensor after the steering wheel was installed?

Dmitry
Old 06-06-2004, 03:58 PM
NzZ

Default Someone please!

Please drop in a bose HU and see if the audio controls will work with it...honestly that is the only feature from the G/Fx that I long for in my Z...

NzZ

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install