Notices

DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 07:49 PM
2003z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have the free spot, and if it helps anyone, the part number for the uk spec switch is 25550-CD400
Old 09-27-2004, 02:32 PM
Jackdaw

I am a UK 350Z owner and have installed a used USA 350Z Bose HU in my car so that I could use the PAC AAI-NIS for auxiliary input. The harness connectors are the same except that the UK model does not have the 12 pin SAT connector.
The audio controls on the steering wheel do not work with the USA Bose. Although it has the same pins for the harness, it would seem that the USA HU does not have the capability built in.
Therefore, I would not advise anyone in the USA to order the steering wheel controls from the UK unless it is to install a UK Bose HU or the PAC SWIX with an aftermarket HU.
Also, the UK car phone kit does not work with the USA Bose.
It seems incredible that Nissan would order very slightly different versions of the Bose for different regions but that is what they have done.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:28 AM
2003z

yeah, im going to use the pac swix with my aftermarket unit.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:12 AM
Jackdaw

2003z, good luck. Could you let me know how you do the wiring on the SWI-X to the UK 350Z steering wheel controls and possibly post some pictures please.
I plan to replace the whole Bose system in the next few months but there are no instructions for the PAC SWI-X and the UK 350Z because PAC do not have retailers in the UK. There are a few on the 350zuk forum who are considering doing a SWIX install too.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:31 AM
2003z

Completed! Wiring was done exactly like gt3's, including using the floppy drive power supply wires that I happened to have!. The only difference was in merging the cruise and stereo switch wiring. I used a jeweler's screwdriver to remove the pins from one switch harness and install them in the other.

Finished product:
Attached Thumbnails DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install-swaudio-008-small-.jpg  
Old 10-07-2004, 07:34 AM
2003z

and the ir eyeball:
Attached Thumbnails DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install-swaudio-007-small-.jpg  
Old 10-07-2004, 10:20 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

So let me get this straight because I am a little confused.

2003Z, you used the UK switch instead of the FX switch.
I think you used it because it also had the telephone buttons, and you wanted to use the telephone buttons to control more functions on your radio. Is that correct?

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:05 PM
2003z

Originally posted by gringott
So let me get this straight because I am a little confused.

2003Z, you used the UK switch instead of the FX switch.
I think you used it because it also had the telephone buttons, and you wanted to use the telephone buttons to control more functions on your radio. Is that correct?

Thanks.
No, I used it because I could get it and its made specifically for the Z and is finished in the Z's interior metal instead of the darker FX metal. The extra button was an added plus.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:15 PM
Hazade

thats an awesome writeup man. thanks for all the time and effort you took to put this up
Old 10-07-2004, 11:01 PM
gt3

Originally posted by 2003z
Completed! Wiring was done exactly like gt3's, including using the floppy drive power supply wires that I happened to have!. The only difference was in merging the cruise and stereo switch wiring. I used a jeweler's screwdriver to remove the pins from one switch harness and install them in the other.

Finished product:
Congrats on the install...looks great. I wish I have the extra button too. There never seem to be enough buttons, guess I am just lazy to reach for the actual radio
Old 10-09-2004, 07:53 AM
zzzBaby

I logged onto 350zUK.com and found someone who sells OEM 350Z parts. He'll sell the UK Steering Wheel Audio Remote (Part No. 25550 CD400) for $135.00 Euro's; including shipping and handling (though the shipping cost may vary). This equates to about $170.00 (US).

If interested, contact Peter at "petervankessel@autoheemskerk.com "

Tell him zzzBaby sent you ...
Old 10-09-2004, 11:51 AM
peter

Better to mail me at: petervankessel@gmail.com and if you wish to buy a unit, paypal the money to petervankessel@autoheemskerk.com

Cheers,
Peter
Old 10-09-2004, 12:06 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn cool, guys.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:40 PM
peter

This is what it looks like in the right colour

Cheers,
Peter
Old 10-20-2004, 03:01 PM
zzzBaby

Originally posted by peter
This is what it looks like in the right colour

Cheers,
Peter
Just a follow-up on the steering wheel remote ...

For anyone interested in purchasing one of these units, I can vouch for Peter's comment that this part is exactly as described. I bought one (through Peter) and received the part yesterday. He was very helpful and I think it only took 4 or 5 days to get the part once I placed the order with him.

Peter's email is posted earlier in this thread (along with the part number). But for convenience, here it is again: petervankessel@gmail.com.

He can give you the details on cost, which I think depends a little on where the part is shipped to (I paid about $170 - including S&H to California).

Corey
Old 02-02-2005, 12:31 PM
vicious711

Default Steering Wheels Controls not working right

hey
i just installed my steering wheel controls exactly the way gt3 stated but however i have a kenwood Kvt-915dvd flip screen. now the the volume down, and track down buttons work but the mode, volumn up and track up buttons do not work. Can somebody help me out with this

thanx

vicious
Old 02-04-2005, 06:35 AM
gt3

Default Re: Steering Wheels Controls not working right

Originally posted by vicious711
hey
i just installed my steering wheel controls exactly the way gt3 stated but however i have a kenwood Kvt-915dvd flip screen. now the the volume down, and track down buttons work but the mode, volumn up and track up buttons do not work. Can somebody help me out with this

thanx

vicious
You must have a loose wire somehwere. If I am not mistaken, the 2 buttons you mentions come of the same line. I would check the connection at the white harness behind the steering wheel where the spiral cable wires exit since I did not use the exact connectors. Make sure the connections are good and test them with a voltmeter before closing them up. Good luck!!
Old 02-08-2005, 05:19 PM
bio911

Would the UK bose HU work on the US model cars? Why not just buy the UK HU and the steering wheel control? I think the bluetooth thing is pretty cool...
Old 02-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Jackdaw

I've installed the SWI-X in my UK 350Z but I can't get all the buttons to work. The UK 16 pin harness has three wires from the steering wheel buttons - "Remote Control A - R/G" , "Remote Control B - OR", and "Remote Control Earth - Y/G".
I have run a wire from the Y/G wire to the black wire on the ISO harness and then run two wires from the A and B to a 150 ohm resistor on one and a 47 ohm resistor on the other, before they both join the white SWI-X wire. I put bullet plugs on each to swap resistors if I had done it the wrong way round. Whatever combination I try on program 3 I cannot get all the controls to work. During the programming cycle the SWI-X responds to each steering wheel button and then the IR remote LED lights and responds to the IR remote. Despite responding to the training as per the instructions only the volume up/down works. I'm puzzled by this because volume up uses control B and volume down control A as does seek up and down. I can't see how it could be a loose connection because the SWI-X would not respond during the training program otherwise. Also, I don't see why the volume up/down works but the seek up/down doesn't.
The only other possibilty is that one of the resistors supplied with the SWI-X is faulty.
If anyone has got any ideas before I go mad, they would be gratefully received.
The HU and remote is a Blaupunkt one.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:34 AM
Jackdaw

I've got all the buttons working now.
The PAC SWI-X has two different IR frequency bands and mine was set to standard when it needs to be extended IR for my particular Blaupunkt.
As well as volume up and down functioning properly, skip forward and backwards also correctly carries out its dual purpose and functions as search forwards and backwards if the the button is kept depressed. I have set the telephone button to "mute" and the other button (with a picture of a face) is set as "source" to switch between radio/dab/cd/aux 1 and 2/SD card. DAB is digital radio in Europe.
If anyone else is having similar problems it's worth reprogramming in extended IR mode to see if that works better.

Quick Reply: DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install