Notices

DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 04:07 PM
gt3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DmitryZ
Nice write up!!!
How did you fix the Steering Sensor? Did you reset the sensor after the steering wheel was installed?

Dmitry
I just turned the spiral cable back to its center position. No reseting needed. The steering sensor is attached to the spiral cable, as long as you keep the spiral cable in its original position in terms of turns...you should be fine. At the time, I was not aware of the sensor and made one extra turn by mistake when I put the steering wheel back.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:11 PM
HokieZ

EXCELLENT write-up! Now it's going to force me to go out and get an aftermarket HU so I can have the steering wheel controls.

Again, great write-up, one of the better one's I've seen since I'm an engineer and visual's work better.....
Old 06-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Z8M

What does this part: Infiniti FX Steering Wheel Switch #25550-CG010, look like? If I'm not mistaken, it's the set of control buttons on the left. Did it come with the brushed aluminum housing or you had to cut holes in the old one to fit the buttons? I plan on using it to control other equipments, not audio .
Old 06-08-2004, 03:09 PM
gt3

Originally posted by Z8M
What does this part: Infiniti FX Steering Wheel Switch #25550-CG010, look like? If I'm not mistaken, it's the set of control buttons on the left. Did it come with the brushed aluminum housing or you had to cut holes in the old one to fit the buttons? I plan on using it to control other equipments, not audio .
It actually includes both pieces with cruise control buttons on the right and the radio buttons on the right. It does come with a brushed aluminum finish but it is a slightly different shade of color. No hole drilling will be needed if you use both pieces.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:58 PM
KShep

Outstanding DIY....certianly one of the most helpful I've seen.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:24 AM
nycjason

Default more steering wheel controls

gt3,

I know this is a little off the topic, but along the lines of steering wheel control. It seems in the UK, the 350z comes with a really well integrated mobile phone hands free interface that is somehow controlled throught the steering wheel. British Nissan dealers sell the cradles for various mobile phones, and 350z owners just plop their phones into a cradle in the armrest and enjoy hands free phone operation. Do you have any idea how a US owner could get these parts and intergate the same system?
Old 06-20-2004, 07:23 AM
rouxeny

Great write up. That's real dedication.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:59 PM
gt3

Default Re: more steering wheel controls

Originally posted by nycjason
gt3,

I know this is a little off the topic, but along the lines of steering wheel control. It seems in the UK, the 350z comes with a really well integrated mobile phone hands free interface that is somehow controlled throught the steering wheel. British Nissan dealers sell the cradles for various mobile phones, and 350z owners just plop their phones into a cradle in the armrest and enjoy hands free phone operation. Do you have any idea how a US owner could get these parts and intergate the same system?
I wish I can help you but I think we will need the UK version of the service manual/wiring diagram as well as the UK version of the steering wheel control buttons since it has one extra button than the US version. If you do ever track down the info/parts, I will glad to look at it for you to see if it doable.

Last edited by gt3; 06-20-2004 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:16 AM
KShep

bump
Old 08-24-2004, 06:36 AM
cedusett

This is an extremely great write-up. Thanks gt3!

My only question is... will this work with the non-bose head unit? It looks like the parts listed above were for Bose only. What about other head units?
Old 08-24-2004, 10:29 AM
gt3

Originally posted by cedusett
This is an extremely great write-up. Thanks gt3!

My only question is... will this work with the non-bose head unit? It looks like the parts listed above were for Bose only. What about other head units?
Hi, The parts are not specific for the Bose system, but I am not sure whether this will work with the non Bose factory headunit either. I have looked at the wiring diagrams for the factory systems but I did not see any easy way for the controls to communicate with the headunits.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:40 PM
The HACK

So, if I have a factory HU, can I just plug in the FX buttons to make it work?
Old 08-25-2004, 05:20 PM
gt3

Originally posted by The HACK
So, if I have a factory HU, can I just plug in the FX buttons to make it work?
Unfortunatley not.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:30 PM
Mooseknuckles

Originally posted by mike8879576
i tried to follow your DIY. but after the third step, my air bag blew up and.........

just kidding. great work. i am glad i was part of this DIY (small part, trying to figure out the harness).

now that you have completed this, you may want to get some sleep, as you have put in at least 50 hours for this.

you are one F**** freak, but neverthless, a great contributation to mankind.

Holy **** that was funny when I first read that I thought you were serious til I read the next line. OH good times good times
Old 09-08-2004, 12:44 PM
2003z

Default Re: Re: more steering wheel controls

Originally posted by gt3
I wish I can help you but I think we will need the UK version of the service manual/wiring diagram as well as the UK version of the steering wheel control buttons since it has one extra button than the US version. If you do ever track down the info/parts, I will glad to look at it for you to see if it doable.
Well I ordered the UK switch when I was in London a couple days ago, picking it up on my next trip there on the 24th. Thanks for the write-up, it should help me immensely! For info, the UK switch was 88 Pounds, including tax, or roughly $160. I checked the price for the stock orange shift ****, and it was a phenominal 150 + tax, or roughly $300 USD!!!!
Old 09-08-2004, 03:24 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

2003Z - are you trying to hook up the UK telephone interface?
If so, keep posting, because I am interested also.
Thanks.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:48 PM
cnile51

Not to sound ungrateful or anything but i was just wondering if anyone cxould make a diy that is downloadable. Only because i want to do something with my steering wheel but most of the tim by the time i go back to old posts all the pictures are deleted. Id really appreciate it if someone can make a pdf or sumthing that i can save on my cpu.

Thanx
Old 09-08-2004, 06:08 PM
gt3

Default Re: Re: Re: more steering wheel controls

Originally posted by 2003z
Well I ordered the UK switch when I was in London a couple days ago, picking it up on my next trip there on the 24th. Thanks for the write-up, it should help me immensely! For info, the UK switch was 88 Pounds, including tax, or roughly $160. I checked the price for the stock orange shift ****, and it was a phenominal 150 + tax, or roughly $300 USD!!!!
Keep us posted. I would be interested to see how it turns out. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:15 AM
2003z

ok, I'm in London, and have the switch, but unfortunately, I think its the wrong one, as it is only the audio, and does not include the cruise control switch. The dealer said they had 3 different listings, but didn't explain what they were and said he ordered the one that said UK on it. Apparently, you can get audio controls without cruise here, I guess.

Anyway, It has the same white/yellow/brown and blue wires, in the same locations as the infiniti ones, but lacks the red and black, obviously.

I think it should be easy enough to transplant them to the new connector though, then I should be all set.

I'm not planning on hooking up my phone to it, but I do have the 4 buttons on my switch. volume up/down, preset up/down, mute and talk. I plan on using the mute to mute it, and the talk button to switch modes between sat/cd/fm/etc.

gt3, do you foresee any problems with transplanting the new wires into the old harness, or the cruise wires into the audio harness?

I'll be home tomorrow, but probably won't get around to installing until mid-october, maybe earlier though.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:18 AM
2003z

Originally posted by gt3
23. Here is a picture of the steering side of the spiral cable. The colors corresponds to those on the diagram.
Actually, it appears you have a free slot between the yellow and brown. Thats not a black wire there, is it? I don't have my switch in front of me, but I'm pretty sure there is no space between the yellow and brown wires. Perhaps I need to move them, also.

Quick Reply: DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install