Notices

DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:13 AM
350zturbo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First Put that yellow harness back! lol. Actually for some reason that was the harness that threw me for a loop. I thought that was the harness for the steering controls and held me up.

excuse me if I repeat anything.

As long as you don't think you will ever get cruise control, your setup is perfect. You only need like 3 - 4 wires to pass through to the steering control harness. My setup called for 3. But be sure to allow 1 wire for ground and that red horn ground you have isn't good enough for the control or illumination ground. Illumination wont flicker but the control ground wont allow some controls to work properly. I learned the hard way but managed a workaround.

As you will notice in the wiring diagram photo below, all wires are not colored the same. In the diagram notice the yellow horn wire. Yours is red. Mine was green. (it is 3rd position in with the tab down aka pin #19 and it goes through the spiral cable and comes out as pin#25) You will need to use the service manuals for your year of Z (03) and an 06 to get the proper wiring colors for the project using the example I have given. Get them here "Service Manuals".

Once you find the spot in the service manual for the harnesses in this project, you will see they have pin numbers. this is how you know what wire does what and its color for that year of vehicle. You will use your hear service manual to know your wires & colors. The 06 service manual will be for knowing the wires of the new steering controls.

Click to enlarge
DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install-50076d1086495120-diy-steering-wheel-removal-steering-wheel-audio-control-unit-install-21.jpg

Map a graphic similar to the one above to know what wires go where on the harness to work properly and note the color. You will need to shuffle between service manuals to get all wires & colors figured out. Expect it to take a couple hours.

This will be easy for you because you wont have to deal with keeping the cruise wires proper. The harder part will be that you have to attach floppy pins to the inside harness plug for this to work. Floppy cables may not work but try them. You might need to improvise. So far none of us that has posted to my knowledge had to add pins to the harness inside the steering wheel, so post what worked to help another some day.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:27 AM
burner

Thanks for all the info. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me as if I have no reason to check the service manual(s) if I know what the pinout is on both sides of the harness. So in theory, I should draw a diagram, plug in the new steering wheel controls, and tap into the harness coming off the back of the steering wheel with the floppy wiring and hook that directly to the PAC unit, right?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 AM
350zturbo2

Scratch the part I added about placing floppy pins on the inside harness. What was I thinking?? You will have the 06 harness which is full of 8 useful wires. DAH! You should have called me out on that one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me as if I have no reason to check the service manual(s) if I know what the pinout is on both sides of the harness.
This is true. I spoke with cruise control in mind. But you do have to find which wires on the 06 control set you will use for illumination- because it looks like you have cruise control wires on the pass through might require you to splice the illumination wires to those. so you can take advantage of the wires on the Grey harness.

You can easily identify the pass through wires 1 at a time using your continuity checker. This may go quicker for you. Now that you understand a lot of this better, this might be the way to go.

In your picture, Does your Grey harness plug have 3 or 4 wires? I see 3 but is there one or two hiding? The visible left green wire should have a wire left of it if you are looking at the harness from the back with the tab down, this should be the horn ground (pin 24). This wire has to be left alone since its just for horn. You will need 4 other wires on the grey harness or you might have to add one using the floppy cable method. I list the needed wires needed to attach the 06 controls below.

I was more nervous than you would need be because of working with Live & ground wires at the same time, so I made the graphic to be absolutely sure I didn't short anything out plus working with a somewhat different PAC then the other posters used. I didn't want that infra red version. I tend to be over cautious on some projects because of incidents in the past. I like to be proactive.

I forgot to mention: you will need 4 wires (was just thinking about that) may be more with your PAC but this is how many I needed. I can remember only what powered the illumination. If testing with alligator clips (that is what I did) reverse the polarity if they don't light.

1. Illumination + ( this should be the pink wire pair )
2. Illumination/Control - (this should be the yellow wire pair )
3. Control wire 1 ( may need the the 06 service manual to identify this wire )
4. Control wire 2 ( may need the the 06 service manual to identify this wire )

Most PACs require 1 of the 3 designated control wires to ground.

Hope I wont confuse you!
Old 01-08-2009, 01:36 PM
burner

Originally Posted by 350zturbo2
Better pricing here for an 06 Steering wheel control.

CLICK RIGHT HERE Search for part 25550CF40A, choose make. They are 45 bucks for the set.

Here is what you get:

I have yet to tinker with the wiring, but I can assume the pink and yellow wires are for the Illumination since they are the only two wires that are shared on both button sets. If anyone can confirm this, please do. Cane's post on the wiring of the 06 switch set is very useful.

Anyone figure out the wiring for this yet? Which wire goes to the PAC unit?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:48 AM
burner

Mission accomplished...

After about 5 hours of tedious work, I finally have steering wheel controls in my 03, hooked up to a Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD. If I had to do it again knowing what I know now, it would probably take about two hours. Everything works great! I routed and tested each wire individually and used the "floppy" method to add 4 wires to my spiral cable. Hooked up illumination on the buttons as well. The PAC unit worked right out of the box, although it was a bit tricky hooking up the resistors. Thanks for everyones help here!
Old 02-16-2009, 09:18 PM
kaizenro1

http://www.activetuning.com/products/multiple/PESWIX/

Is this the same thing? Is this one easier to install? Worth it?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:41 PM
kaizenro1

anyone
Old 07-31-2009, 04:56 PM
JDub03

so i stripped the tamper proof torx bits. how the f**k do i get them out now?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Aust350z

I've posted this here as well but this thread seems to be more recent and hopefully one of the experienced guys on this DIY can confirm the below. I've been searching for ages for the part number of the spiral cable.

I've read both the 2003 and 2006 service manuals. Looking at the 2006 service manual it referred to the spiral cable as the "combination switch".

I did some checking of part databases and have been able to find this:

BODY-COMBINATION SWITCH
2006 Most Models
2007+ C.(350Z+ENTHUSIA) & C.TOURING.AT & Roadster.(ENTHUSIA+TOURING)
11/2006-01/2007 C.TOURING.MT & C.(TRACK+GT) & Roadster.GT

Product SKU: 25567-Z33003

Can anyone comment if this looks right? or is the correct part for this purpose? The following pics was orginally posted in the first install.

The appear the same and therefore will hopefully fit with my 2003 wheel.

Is there any additional wiring required at the back of the spiral cable to get this to work in my 2003 if I use a 2006+ spiral cable and retaining the Bose HU?

Last edited by Aust350z; 08-05-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Aust350z

Damn, that part number doesn't seem to work at other part sites...

Anyone got a 2006 VIN that can request this part from their dealer to confirm its right?
Old 08-06-2009, 05:56 PM
AreYouAMac

Originally Posted by CaneZMD
As a follow up....

The 03 spiral cable carries seven available wires from the wheel to the steering column. The 03 only uses 3 of the 7, the 06 requires 8. There are two solutions: one is to order an 06 spiral cable (also called a "clockspring"), the other is to only use one wire for illumination. I cut the variable ground used for illumination dimming inside the steering wheel and grounded it to a screw in the steering wheel. It's not variable, so it won't dim, but they aren't that bright anyway and I never dim my interior lights anyway.
SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT:

1. I have an 05 - so I BELIEVE that I that for models 03-05, an easy FIX for this 8-pin problem can be easily fixed by ordering an 06 spiral cable - and just swap it out with the 03-05 spiral cable? Am I assuming this right?

Aust350z I posted in your other thread....

2. The "8" pin is used for dimming the light on the steering wheel? So techinically, if you do not want to dim THAT specific lights on the steering wheel we can just plug in the other 7? - 2 for Cruise - 1 for horn ground - 3 for music control - and 1 for lighting?

Last edited by AreYouAMac; 08-06-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Aust350z

Originally Posted by AreYouAMac
SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT:

1. I have an 05 - so I BELIEVE that I that for models 03-05, an easy FIX for this 8-pin problem can be easily fixed by ordering an 06 spiral cable - and just swap it out with the 03-05 spiral cable? Am I assuming this right?
If you have cruise control and from what I've read here and can put togther from other people's experiences is that you will need the following parts:

1 x Cruise & Audio Switches (25550-CF40A)
2 x Replacement Air-bag Torx Bolts (87850-89900)
1 x 2006+ Spiral Cable/Combination Switch (25567-Z33003)
(above taken from courtesy parts)

This should therefore be a plug n' play install for about $150. Or you could save $95 from the install and not have the feature to dim the steering wheel lights. But you will have to modify the wiring on the switches to ground the eighth wire to something.

I grabbed a 2006+ VIN number and checked with my local parts guy. I got another part number for the spiral cable but its still the same part as the one above.

Originally Posted by AreYouAMac
Aust350z I posted in your other thread....

2. The "8" pin is used for dimming the light on the steering wheel? So techinically, if you do not want to dim THAT specific lights on the steering wheel we can just plug in the other 7? - 2 for Cruise - 1 for horn ground - 3 for music control - and 1 for lighting?
Refer to comments above. I've asked for that thread to be closed to keep discussion in one place now. Further to your query re service manuals they are on "the other site". Google "ZWiki Service Manuals". I'm reviewing the 2003 and 2006 wiring diagrams on the weekend to see if anything further is required (mod or parts) to get this working on an 03.

I've seen some guys on here do it already to an 03 with cruise and just missing the getting the ilumination on the dials (i think). I want to see what needs to be done to get that for perfect OEM installation.

I'm new to this mod so still working it out myself.

Last edited by Aust350z; 08-06-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:08 AM
AreYouAMac

Originally Posted by Aust350z
If you have cruise control and from what I've read here and can put togther from other people's experiences is that you will need the following parts:

(above taken from courtesy parts)

This should therefore be a plug n' play install for about $150. Or you could save $95 from the install and not have the feature to dim the steering wheel lights. But you will have to modify the wiring on the switches to ground the eighth wire to something.

I'm new to this mod so still working it out myself.
Yea I have cruise control. I have an enthusiast 05 roadster. Do you also have cruise control?

So, do you think it really is just plug and play after this part (2006+ Spiral Cable/Combination Switch 25567-Z33003) with purchasing the Cruise & Audio Switches (25550-CF40A)? That's what I am thinking reading priors posts in this one and the other thread.

I found cheaper nissan oem parts on different websites. I will post em up for you.

Thanks. Hopefully we can tackle this thing together.

*Yea I found the service manuals after I posted that message. Thanks

Last edited by AreYouAMac; 08-07-2009 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Aust350z

Yeah I think it is just plu n play for you.

I'm in Australia so I need to factor in shipping as well and courtesy parts is excellent in shipping to Australia. I'll grab a few other pieces to save on shipping as well.

I tried to check out my wiring today but it's difficult to see without getting the wheel off and following things through. I'm going to purchase this week and get some help from an audio shop for the install. At this stage I think for my install I'll need some wiring done. However I've been holdig off on my iPod adapter install so should save a bit on labour time.

I'll post back after the install of everything. The extra wires would only be needed from the back of the spiral cable to the HU and to he illimination system.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:20 AM
08350zboy

I just want audio controls/no CC (illumination if it's not too much work) for my base 08 Z. Will this work with a base non -bose stereo?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:30 PM
csufr

Default Water in the steering wheel

Hello, I got water into the audio volume, power, mode, and seek controls of the steering wheel. Sometimes the control work but lately they haven't any advice on what I should do?

Please see #145
Old 05-07-2010, 04:54 AM
bsherwood

hello...

i've got an '04 350z that i'm looking to do this to. my nissan dealership can't locate the '06 sprial cable part referenced above (25567-Z33003). has anyone done this recently that might have some updated part numbers?

thanks!
Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 PM
08350zboy

Is the spiral cable needed for the illumination? is this needed on a 08 350z since it's supposely prewired for the wheel mounted controls?

I want to do this upgrade but want to make sure I don't need anything else is needed to make controls illuminate.

Thanks

(above taken from courtesy parts) NEEDED? FOR 2008 350z?
Old 05-23-2010, 07:45 PM
08350zboy

Successfully installed Thanks all!
Old 07-15-2010, 04:39 PM
DelayedZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm bumpin this back up, been working diligently on this on my 03'.

I'm doing the 03' spiral cable w/ 06' Steering Wheel controls, I have the controls all mounted up, and I pinned the other side of the harness, I have 2 wires for the steering wheel controls, 1 wire for a ground, and 1 wire for illumination, I have no idea where to put the illumination wire to get power, I attempting to t-tap the illumination wire for my VDC but it doesn't work, I dunno if it doesn't have enough power or something to power the illumination for my controls, I dunno. It's kinda holding me up. I have also t-tapped the illumination wire for the radio and that didn't work either, does the illumination wire require resistance or something?

Are either of the illumination wires on the 03' Spiral Cable, I thought only the dimmer wire was missing not the illumination?

I have been going over this a million times, pin 26 and 27 are illumination, pin 27 isn't there through the 03' spiral cable, so you only have pin 26, is it possible to still power up the illumination with only the one illumination wire, because the dimmer is the other wire and thats why you need the 06' spiral cable to get the 8th dimmer wire.

Oh and here's my list of what wires are what:

27 is Dimmer (this is not on the 03' this wire is the one that isn't in the spiral cable and thats why you need the 06' to get the dimming feature).
26 is Illumination
25 is Horn
24 is Steering Wheel Control A
34 is Cruise Control
33 is Cruise Control
32 is Steering Wheel Control B
31 is Ground

A total of 8 wires, which the 06' has but the 03' does not have.

Last edited by DelayedZ; 07-15-2010 at 06:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bmccann101 (07-17-2017)

Quick Reply: DIY for Steering Wheel Removal and Steering Wheel Audio Control Unit Install