Notices

DIY Assemble your own Big Brake Kits: Caliper Brackets (Custom)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 12:00 PM
kbiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been out of town, but I've been getting some more pricing info so it'll be closer to time for part selection.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:12 PM
sakred

Originally Posted by kbiz
I've been out of town, but I've been getting some more pricing info so it'll be closer to time for part selection.
come to think of it i think the 4 pot system with teh 13inch rotors would be good for me seeing as how i run 17" on the track. anyways let me know when the parts list is complete. im looking to do this asap. before feb 12th my next track day

Hammad
Old 12-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Havok_RLS2

Yeah.. Please keep up us updated. I'm pm'e you with an angle I'm working on so the more information I have the better.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:10 AM
atlsupdawg#2

Inconel would be a better choice than SS but both could work. Inconel typically has a higher ultimate strength than Aluminum alloys... the only issue is availability. I don't know if there are any special requirements or processes required for machining Inconel and that's something that would need to be looked into.
We have an employee sales center here at Delta so I can basically get whatever they get (minus specialized equipment and aircraft parts of course) at cost. Since Delta buys in bulk and large sheets/plate I don't know if I'm only limited to that or if I can get something smaller. Scrap metal is always in abundance around here as well. Just gotta dig for it
Old 01-03-2006, 11:58 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I may be interested depending on final specs/price.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:12 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Let's keep this on the front burner.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:39 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tag
Old 01-11-2006, 11:30 PM
sakred

no more developments?? Kbizz i PM'd you a couple of days back if you can get back to me id appreciate it.

Hammad
Old 01-12-2006, 03:26 AM
Havok_RLS2

Have money... Need status.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:18 PM
sakred

Kbizz hasnt logged on since the 12/24/05 i hope everything is ok.

Hammad
Old 01-17-2006, 05:10 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since there's kind of a lull in the action, I thought it would be good to get some input on the brake comparison.

Should I use the stock pads or Hawk HPS? I'm not sure what kind of pads we will have for the Wilwoods, but it might be hard to control for pad variability. Any input?

My plan was to to some classic 60-0 braking runs and also to do some 120-60 or 100-60 runs. I think the 100-60 is a better test of the brakes for racing applications because this is a typical braking scenario on the track. I'm very interested in these times and distances, because I always find it hard to believe that big brake upgrade rarely reduces stopping distances. I think the BBK is not in its efficiency range at slower speeds and that's why distances are not reduced much. My prediction is that the 120-60 or 100-60 will be reduced substanially with a BBK over stock. This is sort of based on a seat of the pants dyno from my on track experience. Any other tests you want to see?

I've got a non-contact IR thermometer to get rotor temps and a datalogger which has a physcial wheel speed sensor so the data I get is quite accurate. But I was wondering what temp I should bring the rotors up to before beginning the tests.

I got my data logger installed last night and did some inpromptu practice runs to get used to the system.

Three 60-0 mph runs yielded: 108 ,113, 123 feet.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Assemble your own Big Brake Kits: Caliper Brackets (Custom)-braking.jpg  
Old 01-18-2006, 05:40 AM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by zillinois
Since there's kind of a lull in the action, I thought it would be good to get some input on the brake comparison.

Should I use the stock pads or Hawk HPS? I'm not sure what kind of pads we will have for the Wilwoods, but it might be hard to control for pad variability. Any input?

My plan was to to some classic 60-0 braking runs and also to do some 120-60 or 100-60 runs. I think the 100-60 is a better test of the brakes for racing applications because this is a typical braking scenario on the track. I'm very interested in these times and distances, because I always find it hard to believe that big brake upgrade rarely reduces stopping distances. I think the BBK is not in its efficiency range at slower speeds and that's why distances are not reduced much. My prediction is that the 120-60 or 100-60 will be reduced substanially with a BBK over stock. This is sort of based on a seat of the pants dyno from my on track experience. Any other tests you want to see?

I've got a non-contact IR thermometer to get rotor temps and a datalogger which has a physcial wheel speed sensor so the data I get is quite accurate. But I was wondering what temp I should bring the rotors up to before beginning the tests.

I got my data logger installed last night and did some inpromptu practice runs to get used to the system.

Three 60-0 mph runs yielded: 108 ,113, 123 feet.
NICE! KBiz!!! Where are you!
Old 01-24-2006, 03:09 PM
HokieZ

Is this dead? I was extremely interested in this approach.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:59 PM
gringott

Hope not. I would like to go with this myself. If not, it looks like the front kit from arizona z car.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:58 PM
J Ritt

For the people on this thread who were bashing me when I was trying to help, do you remember back on page 2, when I wrote the following:
Some other pitfalls:
Will spare parts be available if you need them?
Will you have lots of pad and rotor choices?
Will you have tech support and service if you run into a problem?
Will you have piece-of-mind knowing that the product has been tested under all scenarios?
Well, it's been a month now with no response or updates. As I said before, when you're buying a big brake kit, you're buying a lot more than the components. You're buying customer support, experience, and confidence that you will be covered in the future with parts and help should something go wrong. Put a price tag on all of these items, and I think you'll find that our $1995 front BBK is quite reasonable.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:05 AM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by J Ritt
For the people on this thread who were bashing me when I was trying to help, do you remember back on page 2, when I wrote the following:

Well, it's been a month now with no response or updates. As I said before, when you're buying a big brake kit, you're buying a lot more than the components. You're buying customer support, experience, and confidence that you will be covered in the future with parts and help should something go wrong. Put a price tag on all of these items, and I think you'll find that our $1995 front BBK is quite reasonable.
Dude! How absolutely pathetic can you be??? First off, What "customer support are you talking about"? Reading is fundamental bub, so I suggest you try reading the entire thread again and so me where anyone besides YOU has been trying to sell anyone anything requiring any kind of "Customer support". Personally I wouldn't buy your brake kit if it was the last or only one on this freaking planet because the way you go about bashing anyone who thinks about venturing into your whatever the Funk "Domain", you have done nothing but bad mouth.
You wanna say something? How about you try saying something constructive and leave your sales pitch to another thread.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:10 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

+1, not feeling the hard sell. Too "used car salesmanish".
Old 01-25-2006, 07:11 AM
gringott

+1 Unless, of course, they lower the front brake kit price to the same as Arizona Z car kit.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Nano

Originally Posted by J Ritt

WTF are you talking about? Assembled kits are used by every breed of car enthusiast worlwide. From amateur club racers to highest levels of professional racing. There are companies that have been catering to these enthusiasts for DECADES and stand behind their products 110%. Even if the project should fail(for whatever reason), it is a great idea, and the intention is noble. Great way to misslead people with aimless drama...

I've always wondered if you were honestly dedicated to this community, or were just covering for it... thanks for clearing it up, you are a fine example of the lowest breed of salesman.

Now please leave

Last edited by Nano; 01-25-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by Nano
WTF are you talking about? Assembled kits are used by every breed of car enthusiast worlwide. From amateur club racers to highest levels of professional racing. There are companies that have been catering to these enthusiasts for DECADES and stand behind their products 110%. Even if the project should fail(for whatever reason), it is a great idea, and the intention is noble. Great way to misslead people with aimless drama...

I've always wondered if you were honestly dedicated to this community, or were just covering for it... thanks for clearing it up, you are a fine example of the lowest breed of salesman.

Now please leave
AGREE! 110%

Quick Reply: DIY Assemble your own Big Brake Kits: Caliper Brackets (Custom)