Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tire Size Suggestions and Camber (Feathering) Question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 10:32 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire Size Suggestions and Camber (Feathering) Question.

Im buying 19" rims here over the holiday and the maker of the rims suggested a 255/30 and 275/30, but i have seen a lot of people with a 35 series tire. What is best?

Also I know I will have to get the car all alined and everything but I have bad wear on the insides of my rear wheels right now and I only have 6K miles on the car, im not too thrilled about that. When the car is re-allined with the new rims will that feathering problem be taken care of? I can't afford new tires every 7K miles.

I as well want to lower my car, an inch at the most, I will have the car re-allined after that as well, but will I have feathering problems after i lower it even if i do get the car allined?

Will I end up having to buy the aftermarket A-arm, camber arms?

Thanks everyone in advance for some answers.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:03 AM
ttsupra94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to say that it depends (the feathering). You will need an alignment after dropping your car and it is also a good idea to get it done after putting new wheels on. You should let the springs settle for at least 500 miles or a couple weeks before getting an alignment. If you get the wheels soon after the springs, then just wait for the springs to settle so you only need one alignment. I didn't need any aftermarket arms to get a good alignment. I have a more mild spring though. You will just have to do it and find out. It might not solve the feathering depending how good your alignment ends up but it will make it a whole lot better. Hope that answered all your questions.

About the tires, most people are running 35 series as am I. 30 series is too thin of a sidewall for me. If you are all show then it wouldn't be bad. Some people run a 35 series in the front and an 30 in the rear when running wide tires (ex. 245/35 front, 285/30 or 295/30 rear)
Old 12-15-2004, 09:53 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

Thanks a lot. Im not really about the show rahter than the go, so i'll see if I can get the 35 series, but I think the package is a 30 so I might end up paying more but it'll be worth it cause I was thinking that the 30 was too slamm of a sidewall I dont want to blow it and wreck my rims, anyways, thanks a lot for the advice.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:41 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tire Size Suggestions and Camber (Feathering) Question.

Originally posted by MyV6IsFaster
Also I know I will have to get the car all alined and everything but I have bad wear on the insides of my rear wheels right now and I only have 6K miles on the car, im not too thrilled about that. When the car is re-allined with the new rims will that feathering problem be taken care of? I can't afford new tires every 7K miles.
You do realize that the "tire feathering" issue has nothing to do with the rear tires right??? Your car is a sports car and as long as you stay with the OEM camber settings then you are going to wear the inside of your tires much quicker than the outside due to the aggressize camber settings from the factory. If you can't afford new tires every 7,000 miles then I would suggest changing the way you drive, getting less sticky tires with longer treadlife, or get a rear camber kit and set the camber to 0, but you will lose handling ability.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:23 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

Yeah I know why the feathering happens, all I was basically asking is can it be changed to 0 camber with all the stock parts, like without paying the $300 or whatever to buy aftermarket rear camber arms?

I really don’t know anyone that would be willing to buy new tires every 7K miles it's kind of ridiculous if you ask me, Nissan should have thought of this before releasing the car.

Also I do not drive my car very hard at all, so im not all that worried about handling, expecally since the car handles 100X better than any other car I have ever had (Cavalier's) lol. I don't think that I should have to drive my car any different to get good life out of my tires with the exception of frequent burnouts, which I do none of anyways. I think this is a problem that needs to be addressed my Nissan. I think there should be a recall, but I realize there wont be cause it has nothing to do with safety. Just my thoughts anyways so who cares, I'll figure it all out, so no worries, I got all winter to get it all right.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:00 PM
King Tut

The thing you gotta realize is that many people that buy the car do want aggressive camber settings and a great handling car. I am one of them, and I don't mind replacing tires every 10,000 miles. That is why Nissan choose the aggressive settings. I do not believe you can set the camber to 0 in the rear without the use of an aftermarket camber arm.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:10 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

Okay, I guess $300 aint that much to spend to get 3X more life out of your tires expecally since I am going to have 19" tires, those can get expencive, and when your a college guy, money's short sometimes lol.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:27 PM
SKYD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has any body read nissan's new tsb on tire feathering? They said feathering problem is from a toe problem which makes since . Negative camber will definitely wear inside edge of tire but shouldn't cause feathering.

Last edited by SKYD; 12-18-2004 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:24 PM
King Tut

Has anybody read the reviews from other owners of Potenza RE040 tires such as the Lexus SC430 which also comes with them OEM. Guess what, they are also having some feathering issues.