Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Help! My rear Iforged can't fit when my 14 Stoptech is on....

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 12:21 AM
hido7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! My rear Iforged can't fit when my 14 Stoptech is on....

I just got back from shop. They installed the Stoptech 14 BBK and Hotchki spring. When they done the installation, my rear wheel can't fit, but front fit perfect.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?.......I've asked them that has anyway to put the wheel in, they told me the only way is to change the wheel's offsets. So they took the rear stoptech out and put the OEM brake back. I feel so dissapointed.

I had no idea what should I do? I don't even know what offset of my rear Iforged. It's 10.5x19. The lip is 4 inch. If I call Iforged, will they change the offset for me? or I have to buy a new set of rear wheel? Guys, I really need your idea....

another question is what offset (rear wheel 10.5x19) should I used for 14 Stoptech?... Please HELP ME....

Last edited by hido7; 12-31-2004 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:45 AM
Wicked4u2c

What the heck?? That is very odd, this ussually happens in the front but not the rear? How far was it off, did you see? I think maybe a small spacer would of done the trick for now, until you figured out what you wanted to do. Maybe taking it out wasnt the best idea, than again I don't know how bad it was. But with a small lip like that I can't imagine your offset screwing up, ARGHH i would be pissed, good luck man!
Old 12-31-2004, 12:57 AM
hido7

Default .

sorry, i type the wrong info of my lip. It's 4 inch. The spacer can't help because the distance is too big...
Old 12-31-2004, 08:23 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a spacer will work. I say the rear is harder to get them to fit. I know my Volks the rear only has like 3mm clearance but the front has 3 times as much. Man a 10.5 and a rear 14" Stoptech kit. I would put the offset up in the 30s probably but every wheel is different. I bet yours is low 20s or teens. Big lips and big break kits don't go that well together because big lips take small offsets and big brakes take larger offsets.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:57 AM
Darth Bobo

Sorry to hear, this is my big fear. I'm having trouble finding people who posted their offsets with their BBK.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:36 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can't fit a spacer, you will need new wheels in the rear. The center section of your wheel is what controls the offset. Changing either the inner or outer lip will only change width and backspacing, but will not change offset and caliper clearance.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Wicked4u2c

Originally posted by King Tut
I think a spacer will work. I say the rear is harder to get them to fit. I know my Volks the rear only has like 3mm clearance but the front has 3 times as much. Man a 10.5 and a rear 14" Stoptech kit. I would put the offset up in the 30s probably but every wheel is different. I bet yours is low 20s or teens. Big lips and big break kits don't go that well together because big lips take small offsets and big brakes take larger offsets.

Hum... My offset in the front is +28 and my offset in the rear is +23. My front literally touches, I Had to bend the brake line about 1cm. Its is ridiculously so close, you could barely fit a credit card thickness. Now my rear is perfeclty fine yet I have a more aggresive offset with a 3.75" lip...
Old 01-02-2005, 06:24 PM
JimRHIT

call Iforged or Avalon Racing ... they will know exactly what to do to help you.

-jim
Old 01-03-2005, 07:20 AM
Speedracer

Default Re: Help! My rear Iforged can't fit when my 14 Stoptech is on....

Originally posted by hido7
I just got back from shop. They installed the Stoptech 14 BBK and Hotchki spring. When they done the installation, my rear wheel can't fit, but front fit perfect.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?.......I've asked them that has anyway to put the wheel in, they told me the only way is to change the wheel's offsets. So they took the rear stoptech out and put the OEM brake back. I feel so dissapointed.

I had no idea what should I do? I don't even know what offset of my rear Iforged. It's 10.5x19. The lip is 4 inch. If I call Iforged, will they change the offset for me? or I have to buy a new set of rear wheel? Guys, I really need your idea....

another question is what offset (rear wheel 10.5x19) should I used for 14 Stoptech?... Please HELP ME....
You may be screwed, you may not. If the clearance issue is a small one, a 5mm spacer may work. I wouldn't go larger than this since the wheel bolts still need to support the wheels. However, at 10.5" width, you'll need to make sure those spacers don't cause rubbing of your fenders on your tires. Also, which Stoptech rear set-up are you using? If you are using the rear ST-40 or ST-45 four piston caliper and 355mm rotor, try switching to the ST-22 rear caliper and 328mm rotor. The ST-22 is significantly smaller and may solve all your clearance issue.

If neither of these options work, you'll need a new wheel. Offset is not the real consideration. It all really depends on the spoke geometry of a given wheel, although it is a fair bet that a deep dish wheel may indeed have trouble fitting over a BBK. This can be a real pain in the butt and is a good example about how compatibility of mods needs to really be carefully considered. On my previous Audi S4, I had 17" BBS wheels. Installed Stoptech BBK in front and wheels didn't clear. Got a 5mm spacer. Got fender rubbing. Had to replace the wheels entirely.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:31 PM
King Tut

Originally posted by Wicked4u2c
Hum... My offset in the front is +28 and my offset in the rear is +23. My front literally touches, I Had to bend the brake line about 1cm. Its is ridiculously so close, you could barely fit a credit card thickness. Now my rear is perfeclty fine yet I have a more aggresive offset with a 3.75" lip...
Hmm very strange. I have 8.5" +23 and 9.5" +24 Volk GT-7 with 14" Stoptech 4 wheel kit and like I said 3 times the clearance in the front then in the back. I guess the difference is in wheel width and you have the Rotora correct. Maybe I should start the database of wheels that work with 14" Stoptech kit. I didn't have to bend anything. The closes place is right on the outside face of the caliper where it says Stoptech.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Wicked4u2c

Originally posted by King Tut
Hmm very strange. I have 8.5" +23 and 9.5" +24 Volk GT-7 with 14" Stoptech 4 wheel kit and like I said 3 times the clearance in the front then in the back. I guess the difference is in wheel width and you have the Rotora correct. Maybe I should start the database of wheels that work with 14" Stoptech kit. I didn't have to bend anything. The closes place is right on the outside face of the caliper where it says Stoptech.
Actually that is due to WHEEL DESIGN, not offset. My GT-7 had a lot of clearance like your GT-C but the SF Challenge have like this added lip, or face design that makes it tighter. So that can be why?
Old 01-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Dragonstyle

Probably your rears weren't made with the correct offsets for a StopTech rear bbk....just my thoughts....
Old 01-04-2005, 08:01 AM
King Tut

Originally posted by Wicked4u2c
Actually that is due to WHEEL DESIGN, not offset. My GT-7 had a lot of clearance like your GT-C but the SF Challenge have like this added lip, or face design that makes it tighter. So that can be why?
Oh I was assuming you still had the GT-7s so we were working with identical wheels. The SF Challenge are very different.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:22 AM
2003z

send them back and get the offset changed. If you specified the brakes, they should pay, otherwise, he will charge you, but its less than new wheels.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:44 AM
ghost11

i have the solution........... sell me your stoptechs really cheap