Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Question about Stoptech BBK install.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 04:52 AM
Z CRUZN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Stoptech BBK install.....

When I originally installed my Hawk HPS pads on my stock brakes, I firmly believe that using the stock pad shims (& anti-squeel spray) with the new Hawk's was the reason I experienced no squeel after the install.

My questions now are....I'm preparing to install the StopTech 13" BBK kit next week. I'm using Hawk HPS pads again all around (kit originally comes with Hawk HPS on rear & Axxis Ultimate on front). Since the front pads for the BBK are larger than the stock pads, does the StopTech BBK come with pad shims? Are shims needed/preferred with the BBK? Can I use anti-squeel spray on the back of the pads without shims? Are the pads & anti-squeel spray even needed on the BBK pads?

Any experience/tips/feedback from those who have installed the StopTech BBk would be greatly appreciated here. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2005, 06:12 AM
ezee

The StopTechs don't come with shims, but they sell titanium backing plates for the ST-40 pads for about $80 that are supposed to help protect the calipers from heat and dust. I installed them, no issues of any kind. Last time I checked they didn't have backing plates for the ST-22s (yet).

When I talked to StopTech support Matt said that shim lub can be applied but should not be needed, and if it is applied it may not last long due to the high heat. If you bed in the brakes properly you shouldn't have problems with brake squeel, mine make zero noise.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:11 PM
J Ritt

I will second ezee's comments. Lube is not necessary...if you put it on, and then take it on the track...it may make a big mess and potentially damage your rotors. On the street it's fine, but not needed with good bed-in.

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/bedincontents.htm