Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

HKS Hypermax RS installed, Review & issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Fab_vr6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS Hypermax RS installed, Review & issues

This past week I have had the coilover installed by a friend/mechanic, and so far, I like the suspension.
I've lowered the car 1" front and back, and left the damping setting (30settings available) alone at the initial settings. To my suprise, these coilovers ride very similar to stock, on small bumps or uneven roads, it actually absorbs the bumps better than stock , resulting in a more confortable ride. On larger bumps however, the stiffer springs resulted in a stiffer ride, however I am not planning to find out every huge bump on the road and deliberately hit them.

I do have one tiny issue with it thou, when the car go over bumps or uneven roads, the rear coilovers are making consistant sqeezing noise (a noise that resemble very much like when you compress the shock on your office chair), does anybody have similar issues with their RS?

All in all, money well spent, I think i'll have lots of fun when I hit the track later in the summer (Here in Vancouver B.C. it rains all the time, except summer)
Old 04-17-2005, 03:23 PM
GY-Z

i have the same sound on my zeal. zeal says it's normal. however, you can spraying some silicon lube to the shaft and it will help the noise down for a little.
PS i'm in vancouver too, which track you usually run at?
Old 04-17-2005, 06:05 PM
laswyguy

I've just had some JIC's FLTA2s intalled this weekend. Squeeks too! How do we get rid of this!!!!
Old 04-17-2005, 06:11 PM
GY-Z

Originally Posted by laswyguy
I've just had some JIC's FLTA2s intalled this weekend. Squeeks too! How do we get rid of this!!!!
read my post
Old 04-17-2005, 06:44 PM
dank311

Sounds like a nice setup you got there...these are actually one of the set that is on my list for coilovers for my Z. I have started a FAQ/review section that is stickied at the top of the wheels/tire/suspension section of this forum...If you could, it would be greatly appreciated if you do a review on that thread. there are also some guidelines and some suggestions on what things to cover in the review at the top of the thread.
thanks,
Jon
Old 04-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Fab_vr6

Originally Posted by GY-Z
i have the same sound on my zeal. zeal says it's normal. however, you can spraying some silicon lube to the shaft and it will help the noise down for a little.
PS i'm in vancouver too, which track you usually run at?
Ian, it's Gary from PDC!
Planning to go Portland this year?
Old 04-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Fab_vr6

Originally Posted by dank311
Sounds like a nice setup you got there...these are actually one of the set that is on my list for coilovers for my Z. I have started a FAQ/review section that is stickied at the top of the wheels/tire/suspension section of this forum...If you could, it would be greatly appreciated if you do a review on that thread. there are also some guidelines and some suggestions on what things to cover in the review at the top of the thread.
thanks,
Jon
Sure, I'll do a review tomorrow when I get more time, too tired right now, need some beauty sleep before I wake up for stupid work tomorrow morning.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:51 PM
dank311

thanks man...I really appreciate you taking the time and doing a review! Im just trying to organize as much suspension information as I can on this board. Most the other Z forums don't even have a suspension section.
Jon
Old 04-18-2005, 02:58 PM
350z4steve

Originally Posted by Fab_vr6
This past week I have had the coilover installed by a friend/mechanic, and so far, I like the suspension.
I do have one tiny issue with it thou, when the car go over bumps or uneven roads, the rear coilovers are making consistant sqeezing noise (a noise that resemble very much like when you compress the shock on your office chair), does anybody have similar issues with their RS?

All in all, money well spent, I think i'll have lots of fun when I hit the track later in the summer (Here in Vancouver B.C. it rains all the time, except summer)

Yep this is quite normal and is the sound of the pistons going through its motion inside the coilover and the air getting pushed through I dont find the noise all that intrustive (at least nothing like a FLYWHEEL mod or test pipes would add not even close). I have had mine on since last late 04 summer and I can easily say these are by far the best coilovers out there for the Z meaning Street/Track versatility and better ride than Teins/JIC or even Nismo S-tunes you have 30 positions of "usable adjustment ranges" what is not to like? Highly recommended here...
Old 04-18-2005, 04:01 PM
dank311

350z4steve -
If you also have the same coilovers, could you also post a review in the Suspension FAQ/Review thread stickied at the top of the suspension section? I would really appreciate it. The more information and feedback we can get from all the product owner, the more benificial this site will be to others. Also, if anyone has had any experience with other coilovers please also include how they compare to each other as much as you can. I am really interested in how these differ between the RS and the Hipermax II's. I know the spring rates are a little different (8/8 to 9/9 - 1kg/mm difference on both front and rear)...but I wonder if the hipermax II's are that much difference in the shock valving to give it more of a track feel...anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks,
Jon
Old 04-18-2005, 04:15 PM
GY-Z

Ian, it's Gary from PDC!
Planning to go Portland this year?
zup men, i've already attend 1 event in Portland
most of my track days will be held in Pacific Raceway(seattle) this year.
so whens your next track day?
Old 04-18-2005, 06:54 PM
Fab_vr6

Originally Posted by GY-Z
zup men, i've already attend 1 event in Portland
most of my track days will be held in Pacific Raceway(seattle) this year.
so whens your next track day?
Hey Ian,

how was the track day at Portland? how many time did they allow you to run ? I had a few friends there at the track day you attened as well, I know coz they told me there was a very cool looking 350z in silverstone color attened, i knew it must be you I don't think i'll go for a track day until i can find some replacement tires, do u still have your stock tires?

how bad is your rear suspension noise btw?

Gary
Old 04-18-2005, 08:53 PM
GY-Z

Hey Ian,

how was the track day at Portland? how many time did they allow you to run ? I had a few friends there at the track day you attened as well, I know coz they told me there was a very cool looking 350z in silverstone color attened, i knew it must be you I don't think i'll go for a track day until i can find some replacement tires, do u still have your stock tires?

how bad is your rear suspension noise btw?

Gary
i forgot, total of 150mins or smth.
the suspension noise is exactly as you described.
pm me your msn or icq or smth, i dont think chat on the bored is a good idea
Old 04-18-2005, 10:21 PM
digital1

yo, im in vancouver too. i wanna lower my z an inch , can u please post pics.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Fab_vr6

Sure, I'll post pics once I wash the car
Old 04-25-2005, 01:46 PM
thawk408

Is the RS dual adjustable or is that just the Hypermax II?
Old 04-25-2005, 11:42 PM
GY-Z

Originally Posted by thawk408
Is the RS dual adjustable or is that just the Hypermax II?
i dont think either RS or hypermax2 can adjust rebound and compression seperatly.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:33 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since you have the set, I was curious about how much you could lower the rear? The Tein Flex only do -1.3" drop in the rear and I want a set that can go a bit lower than that...would you happen to know?
Old 09-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Road Warrior

i hate noisy coilovers (tein flex)...i have the hks ls+ and no noises what so ever. i highly recommend these for the street and they are 30 way adjustable and you can adjust the height as well. not too stiff and not too soft...just perfect imo but it all depends on what your application is going to be
Old 09-08-2005, 02:31 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They made the RS to ride a little softer then the Hipermax II... The main difference is a softer spring rate F / R

Did you install the rubber ring that goes around the upper spring pirch? I didnt install mine so it is pretty noisy over bumps... But my car is a rattle box as is so it doesnt bother me...

If that upper spring pirch is the slightest bit loose it will make noise... The 3 little prongs if they are purshed in too much it will alow for it to move... :-/

Quick Reply: HKS Hypermax RS installed, Review & issues