Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Best Coilovers for Under $2000?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 12:17 PM
del105
15 f125

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thawk408
The Nismo SCCA 2 springs and a custom valved set of Konis would be amazing I bet.
I think so too. Thats alot of the reason I use koni because they actually have the ability customize the shock and spring for my exact application with out spending a giant amount of money. Koni's are also really easy to get rebuilt if you ever need to unlike alot of the forgien market shocks.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:28 PM
thawk408

Do you think the SCCA 2 springs and custom valved Knois would be as good as JIC, Tein, or other coilovers on the track.

Last edited by thawk408; 06-09-2005 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:29 PM
del105
15 f125

Do you think the SCCA 2 springs and custom valved Knois would be as good as JIC, Tein, or other coilovers on the track.

They would be far superior.

JICs have good quality but are way overvalved imo and will make the car slower.
Teins are ok I just think they are more of a show car shock than a performance shock.

Koni's can be valved to specifiaclly suit the exact spring, type of driving, and surface you'll mostly be driving on. I'm sure you can get custom valved JIC or Teins as well but not for under 2k.

I would match up the Konis with a set of ground control springs and talk to the guys at koni and have them make the exact shock for you. You could very well get a perfect set for your need for 1k, although a double adjustable set would probably run you 3k.

Last edited by del105; 06-09-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all comes down to what you want to do with the car. If you only want to lower your car for looks and a little bit of spirit driving, I would recommend you to get HKS hipermax. But if you are gear more towards handling, I would def recommend you to get the Zeals. Again, both are really good suspensions and you DO get what you pay for. Zeal doesn't cost alot because they have the name "Zeal". If you have ride in a car with their coilovers, you will be amazed at the amount of research on the valvings. Also, Zeal's customer support is unmatched by any other companies in the US. If you need to rebuild a shock, there turn around time is 1 week versus 2-3 months for other JDM brands.

I recently changed my HKS Hipermax II (7kg/6kg) to Zeal custom spec V6 (12kg/10kg) and I can't be any more happier. These coilovers are stiff around corners and much more predictable than the Hipermax II. The HKS was great for driving around the streets but won't be enough for autocross or tracks. Also, the Zeals aren't as bumpy as you would think.

If any of you have doubts on how good the Zeals are, you can come by my shop and I will give you a ride in my car so you can get a feel for them.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by Gruppe-S; 06-09-2005 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:42 PM
thawk408

Are those for a 350z?
Old 06-09-2005, 05:42 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by del105
They would be far superior.

JICs have good quality but are way overvalved imo and will make the car slower.
Teins are ok I just think they are more of a show car shock than a performance shock.

Koni's can be valved to specifiaclly suit the exact spring, type of driving, and surface you'll mostly be driving on. I'm sure you can get custom valved JIC or Teins as well but not for under 2k.

I would match up the Konis with a set of ground control springs and talk to the guys at koni and have them make the exact shock for you. You could very well get a perfect set for your need for 1k, although a double adjustable set would probably run you 3k.
I wish Ground Control would hurry up and make something for the Z. What do you think would be the best spring for a track/weekend car? I don't care if it is stiff.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:45 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Originally Posted by del105
I absolutely guarantee you the best set is going to be some customed valved single adjustable Konis with a set of springs. Call up Koni tell them your car and what you're looking to accomplish and see what they can do.

It is being done. Have you checked out the Unitech/Truechoice Koni thread? Mine are ordered. Opps....they are double adjustable.......even better! And, the rear springs are where God & Nissan intended.

The Nismo SCCA 2 springs will be WAY to stiff for street use.

Tom, what car are those pictured Zeals coil-overs for.....NOT a 350Z.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:21 PM
GY-Z

Are those for a 350z?
doesnt look like mine, i'd guess its for the other modle.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:45 PM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

Nope...those are for Evos.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:49 AM
rednezz

Originally Posted by TopSecretZ33
thanks for the replies guys. so far, it looks like HKS, Tein FLEX, and KW. i hear good things about each, but am looking for comparisons among each other. are the Hypermax II affordable for under $2k?

I got my Hipermax II for $1800.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:00 AM
rednezz

I would say it depends on the track. Since the springs are not adjustable I would say coilovers would be a better choice unless you had a different springs with different rates so you could swap out to adjust for track conditions. I think since you can change the ride height on coilovers that gives you the next best thing since you can adjust the weight balance on the car.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:09 PM
anotheraznguy

i agree w/ gruppe-s... i daily drive my z.. i love the ride w/ the zeals. they are better than stock.. i am selling my set due to the fact that i am going to be picking up zeal super function xr's which are track oriented.. but for those loking for a street/track setup zeals cannot go wrong.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:56 PM
knight_white99

i agree w/ gruppe-s... i daily drive my z.. i love the ride w/ the zeals. they are better than stock.. i am selling my set due to the fact that i am going to be picking up zeal super function xr's which are track oriented.. but for those loking for a street/track setup zeals cannot go wrong.
Who has these Zeal units (the streetable ones) and what is the cost? Sounds like what I am looking for too...
Old 06-11-2005, 07:55 AM
anotheraznguy

zeal = endless if you didnt know.
go to www.endlessusa.com and find a dealer near you
or you can pick up my used set =)
Old 06-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Josh - call me on my cell when you get a chance
Old 06-12-2005, 10:03 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

I love my Zeals, and its really affordable to have them serviced and modified by endless usa so you can buy these and pretty much call it a day, i run standard function V6s and absolutely love them. I daily drive my Z and track my car a decent amount, and go to a drift event at least once a month, they are really good for everything.

seriously just save longer, or buy joshes used ones. the only downside is you WILL be spoiled forever, when i ride in a car with teins or JICs i feel disgust.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:55 AM
dank311

yea, I decided to go with the Zeals recently. I did alot of research for a few months and decided that the Zeals were no doubt the best there is. The price is pretty expensive, but definately worth it. If you are serious about how you want the car to handle Zeal is the best. They have great specs from factory, but can also custom spec if wanted. Like stated before, their customer service is top notch, along with their quality. The zeals are the only company that I know of that comes with a warranty and US support. The only other ones that have us support are tein and JIC which were both far from considerations. Another great thing about the Zeals are the Adjuster on the damper. It is very clear and precise unlike all the other coilovers. You can also turn it both ways and infinite amount of times and not damage the shock like others. It is numbered on the side and has window on the top of the dial. Zeal will also be coming out with a in-car damper controller like the Tein EDFC. I also believe Cusco is coming out with one in the future as well. Just food for thought. The other coilovers I would consider would be Cusco and HKS. I had Cusco's on my 240sx and loved them! Here are some pics before the install:

Thanks to Rishie and Josh at AutoRND for great products and outstanding customer service!

Jon

Last edited by dank311; 06-12-2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:57 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

heh, i keep my car so much higher then the rest of the Zeal users
Old 06-12-2005, 11:10 AM
dank311

I got them installed the day before drift day, so I had a chance to really put them to the test! I must say that they have definately made the car feel more neutral, lessen body roll, and alot more predictable. The LSD and these coilovers have completely transformed the car! Here are some pics of the drop and the coils in action..hehe

Tandem pic of me and Ranzo (Grip Video and Formula D)

Overall they are everything I wanted in a set of coilovers. Money very well spent. But, Im actually considering going a bit stiffer, maybe 12/10K spring rates and a revalve.

Jon

Last edited by dank311; 06-12-2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:18 AM
dank311

GruppeS - Did you have to revalve for the 12/10 spring rate increase? Also how much did it cost you for the springs and the revalve all together? Also, any further comments on the difference in the 10/8 to the 12/10 setup would be grealy appreciated.
Thanks,
Jon

Quick Reply: Best Coilovers for Under $2000?