Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Best Coilovers for Under $2000?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 11:38 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im gonna do 12/10 as well with a coilover in the rear.

you might as well doa revalve its a negligable amount and itll match your springs rates even better.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:51 PM
GY-Z

FYI, zeal v6 does not require revavling
Old 06-13-2005, 10:54 PM
illZ

good info
Old 06-14-2005, 08:19 AM
GY-Z

Originally Posted by GY-Z
FYI, zeal v6 does not require revavling
ops, guess i didnt make the statement clear.
i meant zeal v6 does not require revavle is you use 12/10 spring rate instead of 10/8.although if you insist to do it, i belive endless usa will still do it for you.
sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:41 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

i know but im gonna be converting to a rear coilover as well, so I figure whatever they recommend for that, well see
Old 06-14-2005, 10:01 AM
J Ritt

If you want a cost effective setup that provides great handling on the street, autoX, and road course, I'd go with the NISMO S-Tune shock/spring combo, 350Evo Swaybars, and some adjustable upper control arms in the front (Unitech Racing's are great). You can get all of these parts combined for a little over $2000. I know this isn't a coilover setup, but it provides a nice amount of lowering, great adjustability for overall car balance with the swaybars, and the ability to dial in some camber in the front to acheive good turn-in. I've driven Z's on road courses, autoX, and the street with about 7 different suspension set-ups at this point. In fact, I've had 4 different suspensions on my own car over the last 3 years! So, I've had quite a bit of time to see what works, and what doesnt'.
If you want a top of the line, double adjustable coilover setup to be able to completely dial the car in at the track, then the Unitech/Truechoice Koni setup is the way to go (what I have on my car now). You'll be hearing a lot more about it in the near future as more people get them on their cars. This may be overkill though if you want to keep things simple, and it's considerably more money than your talking about. It is awesome though.

I think you need to answer the most fundamental question, "what do you want your car to do?" Do you want it to work well on the street? Do you want it to rip up an autoX course, or do you want to take it and do smokey drifts at Irwindale? Look at the whole car, and consider what you need to do to get it to accomplish your goals. Throwing some coilovers on the car and expecting it to handle well out of the box simply won't happen...even if you corner weight it. You need to look at everything including what tire choice/size you want to run front and rear.

From my experience, if I had to build a $2000 suspension for the car, the one I recommended above would be it. I guess my point is...think about the whole suspension/road interface, and what you want out of the car before making this decision.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:56 AM
anotheraznguy

how much is your unitec/koni setup.. and it is bound and rebound adjustable correct?
i am actually looking at a set of zeal super function xR's which are double adjustable bound n rebound... remote reservoir, and quick disconnect reservoir fittings.. it seems pretty nice. Ive had experience w/ aragost as well as other high end coils for my old 240sx.. and so far the zeals seem to be well above par w/ anything i've had.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:03 AM
GY-Z

Originally Posted by anotheraznguy
how much is your unitec/koni setup.. and it is bound and rebound adjustable correct?
i am actually looking at a set of zeal super function xR's which are double adjustable bound n rebound... remote reservoir, and quick disconnect reservoir fittings.. it seems pretty nice. Ive had experience w/ aragost as well as other high end coils for my old 240sx.. and so far the zeals seem to be well above par w/ anything i've had.
not topic related, but just wondering where did you get your B6 from?
i dont think there's any application for 350z in modle B6?
Old 06-14-2005, 11:30 AM
J Ritt

anotheraznguy,
See this link for info on the Unitech/Koni setup.

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/122754-truechoice-phase-iii-and-iv-da-coil-overs.html
Old 06-14-2005, 07:28 PM
armt350z

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I love my Tein type Flex coilovers NOW, when i first had them installed i didnt like them much because of the spring rate, but after swapping the springs that come with the coilovers for a set of 10kg standardized springs from TEIN it is much more comfortable on the road, yet still stiff enough for the track. The Standardized springs are about $50 each so they are not too expensive. The Flex Coilovers can be used with spring rates of +/- 2kg so they can use springs of 10Kg to 14Kg before needing revalving.

Last edited by armt350z; 06-14-2005 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:24 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by J Ritt
If you want a cost effective setup that provides great handling on the street, autoX, and road course, I'd go with the NISMO S-Tune shock/spring combo, 350Evo Swaybars, and some adjustable upper control arms in the front (Unitech Racing's are great). You can get all of these parts combined for a little over $2000. I know this isn't a coilover setup, but it provides a nice amount of lowering, great adjustability for overall car balance with the swaybars, and the ability to dial in some camber in the front to acheive good turn-in. I've driven Z's on road courses, autoX, and the street with about 7 different suspension set-ups at this point. In fact, I've had 4 different suspensions on my own car over the last 3 years! So, I've had quite a bit of time to see what works, and what doesnt'.
If you want a top of the line, double adjustable coilover setup to be able to completely dial the car in at the track, then the Unitech/Truechoice Koni setup is the way to go (what I have on my car now). You'll be hearing a lot more about it in the near future as more people get them on their cars. This may be overkill though if you want to keep things simple, and it's considerably more money than your talking about. It is awesome though.

I think you need to answer the most fundamental question, "what do you want your car to do?" Do you want it to work well on the street? Do you want it to rip up an autoX course, or do you want to take it and do smokey drifts at Irwindale? Look at the whole car, and consider what you need to do to get it to accomplish your goals. Throwing some coilovers on the car and expecting it to handle well out of the box simply won't happen...even if you corner weight it. You need to look at everything including what tire choice/size you want to run front and rear.

From my experience, if I had to build a $2000 suspension for the car, the one I recommended above would be it. I guess my point is...think about the whole suspension/road interface, and what you want out of the car before making this decision.
I hear that for the track the Nismo S-tune is not exactly what you want because of the progressive springrates. Where could I find the Unitech A-arms and how much? How do these compare to the 350evo arms? I think another good option would be the Tokico spring/shock package whenver they come out with the springs.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:10 AM
anotheraznguy

mine are v6's... not b6's
Old 06-15-2005, 09:43 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

change your sig :P
Old 06-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are now the official Endless/Zeal authorized dealer, please give me a call if you have any questions on them.

Tom
Old 06-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How often do you plan on tracking your car? I went with the JIC's and are very happy with them. The car handled great at the last track event and with some more experience I am pretty sure I can take on the more advanced drivers since my car is setup pretty nicely.

Side note: If you plan on tracking don't even bother with TEINS. I had the flex on my car and they suck on the track
Old 06-15-2005, 03:07 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

Originally Posted by Gruppe-S
We are now the official Endless/Zeal authorized dealer, please give me a call if you have any questions on them.

Tom

i take offense to that, you are A official
not THE official
Old 06-15-2005, 03:09 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you plan on tracking don't even bother with TEINS. I had the flex on my car and they suck on the track

it's all in the setup, not in the coilovers
Old 06-15-2005, 03:14 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Side note: If you plan on tracking don't even bother with TEINS. I had the flex on my car and they suck on the track[/QUOTE]

it's all in the setup......
Old 06-15-2005, 03:20 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Side note: If you plan on tracking don't even bother with TEINS. I had the flex on my car and they suck on the track
it's all in the setup......[/QUOTE]

cmon dude, the only useful teins cost almost as much as Zeals, are like buying kroger...
Old 06-15-2005, 03:30 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

having setup/run them on a few track day cars, I can assure you that is not the case.

with some cars, I'd agree...Zeal has it all over Tein. On other cars, given the design of the suspension in the first place, nearly anything can be setup to run very very well

Quick Reply: Best Coilovers for Under $2000?