Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

HELP!! Brake Rotor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 01:14 PM
gregfeder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Brake Rotor Problem

Hey Guys,

I just installed a new set of one piece stoptech replacement rotors for my track edition brembos. I broke them in properly with my carbotech panther plus pads. Last night there was a small rumble and click at low speeds so I took the wheel off. Turns out when I rotate the rotor, it spins freely till it hits a certain point. It seems as if the top hat is not sitting flat against the hub. I tightened all my lugnuts equally and still same problem. Any suggestions? Possibly defective product?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 06-14-2005, 07:15 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume the hats were premounted and trqed to the rotors...correct?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:48 AM
socalsean

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
I assume the hats were premounted and trqed to the rotors...correct?
he said he has one piece replacement rotors.

does the rotor have a locating pin? If so there's only ONE way the rotor will slide on. Maybe the pin is not in it's mounting hole.

sean
Old 06-14-2005, 01:13 PM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is always the chance you got a defect and the rotor is warped.

To other poster, no, there is no locating pin.

The rotors fit into the center hub sometimes tight, it is possible that it went on a little sideways and it is not seated evenly. What I would do is

A) Take that rotor off.
B) Check it (or have it checked) to be flat (not warped).
C) put it back on and make sure it seats evenly as it presses into the center hub.

Is this rears or fronts?
Old 06-14-2005, 03:08 PM
J Ritt

First off, were the brakes OK when they were first installed? If there was no noise or vibration when they first went on, something during the bed-in may have gone awry. When you were turning the rotor with the wheel off, did you have any lug nuts in place? It’s unclear if you had them all tightened with the wheel on or off. Without the bolts in place, or even only one bolt, the rotor might not sit flat on the hub. After checking that there is no corrosion or rust, seat the rotor on the hub and install the 5 lug nuts and torque them all to an even value. It only needs to be maybe 20 lb-ft, you can stick a large screw driver into the rotor vanes to hold it w/o any drama at that value. That they are all evenly tightened is the important issue. A slight bit of run-out, under 0.005 at the outer diameter is usually not a big issue, anything more and you need to do something to correct it. If the rotor is not tight and you don’t have a rock solid set-up to measure it, you’re chasing your tail. If after installing the bolts, there is no touching, it’s likely OK. You might also try swapping the rotors side to side and see if you can isolate it to one side or the other.

Double check the pad fitment as well. If something went amiss on the pad, it may not be properly seated in the caliper.

Let us know if you can't figure it out using these methods.
Jeff
Old 06-16-2005, 04:43 AM
gregfeder

hey guys,

Thank you thus far for the help. In response to Jeff's post, I had all 5 lugnuts in place while testing to see if the rotor sat properly. The noise did not start until one day after bedding the pads. Upon removing and replacing the rotor I have no heard any sounds. The pad is wearing evenly accross the rotor surface. I have a track event on Monday and Tuesday at Watkins Glen. This will be my first experience with these rotors so I will be sure to let you guys know how they perform. Jeff I appreciate your prompt and elaborate response representing your company.

Thanks again,
Greg
Old 06-16-2005, 07:39 AM
J Ritt

Greg,
I'm not sure what pad you are planning to use on the track, but please do not use Axxis Ultimate, Hawk HPS, etc. in your front calipers for the track or you run the risk of destroying your rotors due to uneven pad deposition. Street pads are not designed to work effectively at track temperatures, and they will leave 'splotches' of material all over your rotors which may become impossible to remove. Then you will have a vibration, and you'll think your rotor is 'warped.' You NEED a set of race pads for the front on the track. You can leave the ultimates in the rear. We sell the Hawk Blue, which is reasonable in price and will get the job done.

Hawk Blue 9012 club race pads for the front of the 2004 Nissan 350Z except Track Model.

$137.95 - Item No. 63-450-0653

Let me know if you need these. We can overnight these to you.
310-325-4799 x104
Old 06-16-2005, 11:12 AM
gregfeder

I am using Carbotech Panther Plus pads which I've had success with in prior events. My brother went out one time with a set of Ultimate's and ended up flying off the track at the end of the main straight due to heat soak. I'm yet to have a bad experience in three years, hopefully I'll keep the car in one piece! My Z was near stock last season and has come a long way since, so this should be fun.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:41 AM
gregfeder

Stoptech 1 piece rotors were a success at Watkins Glen. No problems with them, withstood the heat, no complaints. Recommend these rotors as a cost efficient reliable replacement for the stock brembo rotors.