Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Truechoice/Unitech coilover review

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 10:05 AM
daveh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more update. Had my first weekend of the season and posted a 1st place finish with a 1:55 at infineon. No leaks, rattles or any problems! I altered my line at T1 where I was bottoming (and ended up much faster). A guy who was behind me commented at how fast I was barreling up the hill in T1 and into T2. The car is just so amazingly stable at speeds. I am able to stay full throttle up the whole front straight all the way up to the bridge; totally out of the question with the stock shocks. The car is now totally dialed in and I am able to sit back and enjoy driving the car.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:08 PM
J Ritt

Awesome Dave! I'm glad you have them dialed now. They really are awesome once you get them set.

I don't know if you saw or not, but I sold my 350Z and bought a C5 Z06! Therefore, my Unitech suspension is for sale. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM and we can talk price. They were only on the car a few thousand miles, and about 4 track days.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:27 PM
palepony

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

J Ritt

you have pm

pp
Old 10-11-2006, 10:28 AM
daveh

Long term update.
These things rock! Over the course of the year, I've continued to dial in ride heights and damper settings. I've replaced the monballs supplied with the kit with a high quality teflon bearings (thanks to TC Design) and they are virtually silent now. I'm on par to finish with a 1st place in the NASA time trial series and have broken the track record at Infineon along the way.
At the end of the season, I will be upping the spring rates slightly to see if I can continue to improve lap times.
Anyone looking to go faster around a track should really consider koni's, whether it be an off the shelf setup or custom valved.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:06 AM
FritzMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What spring rate are you considering Dave?

I just installed Truechoice coil-over conversion on my Konis with 500 Hyperco springs, and 427 revised in the rear.

Compared to the NISMO T2 springs I was running previously, the new setup feels almost too soft but the car sure rides nice on the street now. I also like the front bias for balance.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:36 PM
daveh

Originally Posted by FritzMan
What spring rate are you considering Dave?

I just installed Truechoice coil-over conversion on my Konis with 500 Hyperco springs, and 427 revised in the rear.

Compared to the NISMO T2 springs I was running previously, the new setup feels almost too soft but the car sure rides nice on the street now. I also like the front bias for balance.
I'll be interested to hear if you are faster with your new setup or the T2 springs.

I ended up installing 550 / 475 per recommendation of truechoice. I am happy with the results. I still have to dial them in a little more but last weekend it accounted for 3/4 second at thunderhill. I like how it keeps me off the bumpstops a little more through the high speed turns with mid-corner dips. The compliance that I mentioned in my initial review is still there with this setup.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:45 AM
FritzMan

I haven't had a chance to give them a fair test on the track yet.

The Truechoice coilover front conversion has not really worked out as I hoped. It turns out that the sleeve is too high, so when the spring perch is at it's lowest settings the car sits at OEM ride height.

The one time I had a chance to try this setup (Calabogie's new track) before season-end, I lost a lot of camber up front and CG was also too high compared to the T2 setup.

Truechoice has been good to work with though and will machine new lower rings into my damper so that I can lower the sleeve and effectively my ride height.

How did you manage to put a 475 spring in the rear? Do you have some kind of reducer perch to effectively run a race spring (like the JIC rear setup)?
Old 11-23-2006, 01:45 PM
daveh

Originally Posted by FritzMan

How did you manage to put a 475 spring in the rear? Do you have some kind of reducer perch to effectively run a race spring (like the JIC rear setup)?
Look back to the pic in my first post here. My kit came with a perch for the rear spring. I can run any # race spring I choose.

If you ever want to add race monoball upper mounts, look up tcdesignfab.com. They made me some real nice custom mounts with SILENT high quality monoballs.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:32 AM
daveh

2+ year update. The Truechoice Koni setup is still going strong. I've got a few sets of springs in my arsenal now for a truly customized setup for my needs.
I recently had Truechoice freshen up the shocks and revalve them for my new spring rates. The downtime was only about a week and the car feels great!
Old 10-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Beau

Excellent thread! I know where my money is going now.

After reading so many threads about the common (Stance/Tein/KW/whatever) coilovers are junk or poorly matched or whatever the case may be, it's good to find something that is truely race capable.

Hopefully I'll be placing the call before the spring season starts.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:42 AM
mikhe

I wouldnt call Tein/KWs and such "junks". You cant compare Tein Flex and V2 at the same level as these Trueforce, its two completely different line. Flex's Monoflex, Super Racing or KW V3 are also very race capable lines. Although i never used Trueforce myself, My SRC with rebound/compression adjustability plus the superior valving compared with the flex is great on the track and with alot of adjustments that is bound to improve performance. Anyone with these Trueforce live near Toronto area? i would love to sit in one of these. Wouldnt mind switching over to these if it is so good !
Old 06-28-2008, 05:18 PM
palepony

reviving an old thread

I am about to give up trying to find a local shop to corner balance my car, as the local expertise is hard to find.

Anyone willing to share their measurements on their corner balanced truechoice setup? I would like to remain about 0.5" lowered from stock.

thanks
Old 06-30-2008, 03:44 PM
daveh

Originally Posted by palepony
reviving an old thread

I am about to give up trying to find a local shop to corner balance my car, as the local expertise is hard to find.

Anyone willing to share their measurements on their corner balanced truechoice setup? I would like to remain about 0.5" lowered from stock.

thanks
If you set your perches to the same height on the right and left sides, the car will be very close to even crossweights.
When unitech installed and cornerwieghted my car, the crossweights were within .3% I checked it once more after changing springs a year later and had the same result. Save your money for gas
Old 07-01-2008, 01:25 PM
palepony

Thanks Daveh

When you say the perches to the same height, do you mean the same preload on each spring OR an even ride height as measured from a fixed point once the car is on the ground (eg hub center to top of wheel well for example)?

If you have the info handy did you ever take any ride height measurements that you finally decided on? I seem to remember Unitech had you at 1" all around then you reduced that to about 1/2" as far as I can recall. And did you change the rake at all?

Thanks and much appreciated.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:44 PM
daveh

Originally Posted by palepony
Thanks Daveh

When you say the perches to the same height, do you mean the same preload on each spring
Preload on each spring is the same on the right and left.
My ride height is about .7" lower than stock.
Yes I have played with rake slightly to fine tune handling (in 1/4" increments per Phil's advice)
Old 07-01-2008, 04:16 PM
palepony

did you end up increasing or reducing the rake? and more importantly did you find that change created any noticable difference in the behaviour of the car vs. say the other suspension parameters that are more likely to make a change.

ultimately I am going to need more seat time to fine tune myself, but your comments are appreciated.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:53 PM
lotteman

I'm sorry to revive this really old thread but i was just wondering if the test runs you described in the first few post we're on stock alignment and tire sizes?